+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Get home country passport back after becoming PR

chelavnzuo

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
First I understand we shouldn't travel with the home country passport, but I also understand that my home country passport is my personal belonging and we are eligible to request it back once we become PR.

The purpose of this thread is to understand how to get it back. I've searched this forum and it seems there are two options:

1. Contact CIC using their web form
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

2. Contact CBSA using their client support contact form
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/csform-formulairesc-eng.html

I have tried the CIC web form but it's been 4 weeks and no response yet. I would like to try the 2nd approach but not sure which topic/question to select (these fields are required and can not be left blank). For now I plan to choose "Travel / travel programs" under Topic and "Moving to Canada" under Question. But before I go ahead and submit the CBSA form, I'd like to ask around in this forum and understand the following:

1. How everyone else gets their passport back? Are there any other options besides the abovementioned two?
2. Am I selecting the correct categories in the CBSA form?

Thanks

Reactions: Soheilnazari

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other
First I understand we shouldn't travel with the home country passport, but I also understand that my home country passport is my personal belonging and we are eligible to request it back once we become PR.

The purpose of this thread is to understand how to get it back. I've searched this forum and it seems there are two options:

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

I have tried the CIC web form but it's been 4 weeks and no response yet. I would like to try the 2nd approach but not sure which topic/question to select (these fields are required and can not be left blank). For now I plan to choose "Travel / travel programs" under Topic and "Moving to Canada" under Question. But before I go ahead and submit the CBSA form, I'd like to ask around in this forum and understand the following:

1. How everyone else gets their passport back? Are there any other options besides the abovementioned two?

Thanks
Some people claim they got their passports back by mail automatically after becoming PR. And others claim you have to request it. So I guess it is different for everyone.

Reactions: chelavnzuo

derin1010

Oct 18, 2017
Toronto

Thanks
If you are in ontario.

Send an email to this address with your full name, uci number, dob, phone number and your address.

You can include the reason why you are requesting for your passport.

cbsa.6900.asfc@cbsa.gc.ca

Good luck

chelavnzuo

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Some people claim they got their passports back by mail automatically after becoming PR. And others claim you have to request it. So I guess it is different for everyone.
Thanks for the response, do you know for the former, what is an estimated wait time to get the passports mailed back? And for the latter, what are the steps to request?

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other
Thanks for the response, do you know for the former, what is an estimated wait time to get the passports mailed back? And for the latter, what are the steps to request?
I don't have any idea for timing and address, as I haven't been to this process yet. There are some threads on this forum talk about this subject you can check.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Thanks
Here’s a tip
That passport issued by your country , isn’t actually yours . It’s the property of the country you’re seeking protection from

Reactions: Simba112 and Cayman

Cayman

Dec 12, 2021
Here’s a tip
That passport issued by your country , isn’t actually yours . It’s the property of the country you’re seeking protection from
I don’t understand why people want their passport back. It can risk their status if they use or even renew it. I can’t think about any reason why request back from CBSA.

Reactions: YVR123

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other
I don’t understand why people want their passport back. It can risk their status if they use or even renew it. I can’t think about any reason why request back from CBSA.
there is a good reason, for example traveling with a passport is much easier than any other document. Plus, some people still have visas on them so why not travel with it rather than applying again on the PR. While some people use it to travel back to their countries (though they aren't supposed to) but others use it to travel to other countries.

chelavnzuo

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Thanks for all the responses, please allow me to clarify a few things
  1. The purpose of this post is to discuss how to get the passport, not why.
  2. Getting the passport back and using the passport are two separate things, and I'm aware of the policies and stance from IRCC/CBSA on using it.
  3. There are other things we may have submitted along with the passport, and these things are not used for travel but are important for other purposes, but again "what did you submit" or "why did you submit" is not the purpose of this discussion.
  4. I have already searched this topic in the forum. Although I didn't get the information I need, I know that getting the passport back after PR is doable and has been done by many, otherwise I would not even bother to post this question.
  5. Last but least, let's try to keep the discussion on topic and constructive by focusing on the "how". If some people are interested in discussing the "why" or the "consequence of using it", I can create another thread for that purpose.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
there is a good reason, for example traveling with a passport is much easier than any other document. Plus, some people still have visas on them so why not travel with it rather than applying again on the PR. While some people use it to travel back to their countries (though they aren't supposed to) but others use it to travel to other countries.
You will need to verify that the visas in your old passport are still valid. Many get reassessed guven that your status has changed.

Reactions: Simba112

waz_2019

Apr 10, 2023
Toronto
As per my knowledge, Refugee claimants (those who applied inside Canada) don't need a reason to ask for their passports to be returned. You can ask/apply for return of your passport as soon as you get your confirmation of PR (CoPR) and your new SIN is issued.

here is how you get your passport returned:
1. Visit the office where your application was first filed when you applied for refugee protection. They have posted instructions on the door or within the offices on how you can request your passport. Its pretty straight forward. Take a picture of the instructions and action exactly as required.
2. After writing an email to the address provided in the instructions, wait for their response. for me it took 2 weeks to hear back

This is the format of the letter (you can amend as you see fit)
///////
Name:
UCI number:
Contact/cellphone:
Email:
Physical Address:

DATE

IRCC OFFICE ADDRESS (where your passport was surrendered)

REQUEST FOR RETURNING OF SEIZED PASSPORT
I am writing this letter to request the return of my passport which was seized on DATE when I claimed refugee status.
I have been granted permanent resident status effective DATE.

Seized item(s): lastname, firstname, Passport of COUNTRY, Document No. xxxxxx. UCI xxxxxxxx

Best regards
/////////

3. CBSA will contact you and let you know the address to pick the documents and their office hours (usually the same office where you applied)
4. you go there during their office hours, sign a document release form, and you will have the documents back. They were very polite when I visited.

Good luck

Reactions: Jaber35

chelavnzuo

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
As per my knowledge, Refugee claimants (those who applied inside Canada) don't need a reason to ask for their passports to be returned. You can ask/apply for return of your passport as soon as you get your confirmation of PR (CoPR) and your new SIN is issued.

here is how you get your passport returned:
1. Visit the office where your application was first filed when you applied for refugee protection. They have posted instructions on the door or within the offices on how you can request your passport. Its pretty straight forward. Take a picture of the instructions and action exactly as required.
2. After writing an email to the address provided in the instructions, wait for their response. for me it took 2 weeks to hear back

This is the format of the letter (you can amend as you see fit)
///////
Name:
UCI number:
Contact/cellphone:
Email:
Physical Address:

DATE

IRCC OFFICE ADDRESS (where your passport was surrendered)

REQUEST FOR RETURNING OF SEIZED PASSPORT
I am writing this letter to request the return of my passport which was seized on DATE when I claimed refugee status.
I have been granted permanent resident status effective DATE.

Seized item(s): lastname, firstname, Passport of COUNTRY, Document No. xxxxxx. UCI xxxxxxxx

Best regards
/////////

3. CBSA will contact you and let you know the address to pick the documents and their office hours (usually the same office where you applied)
4. you go there during their office hours, sign a document release form, and you will have the documents back. They were very polite when I visited.

Good luck
this might work, i didn't go this route because that office is by appointment only and i wasn't sure if i'd be stopped at the door without an appointment letter, i would try that if i haven't heard back via webform.
it's nice that they provided the email address on the door, the webform agent only gave me a physical address (and a fax #) so i ended up writing a physical letter to that address, the rest is similar to what you have described, took me 1 week to hear back and 5 mins to collect the docs.

Reactions: waz_2019