NA
File Transfer...
NA
Interview........
Not Required
when does "Security Check" start? anyone has any idea

Jass.5k

Apr 7, 2018
for some applications security check starts way before test invite and for others starts after test ,
for some applicants security clearance took too long" months"
and for some applicants too short "weeks"
and not every application gos for security check !
it depends on the officer if he's in a good mood

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
for some applications security check starts way before test invite and for others starts after test ,
Really? I thought everyone has to do the check. It's just that some complete very quickly while others take months. So I think it varies a lot depending on the individual's personal history, i.e. where you were born and grown up, where you lived and worked, who you have been associated with etc.

Has there been anyone on the forum who got citizenship without going through the security check?

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Really? I thought everyone has to do the check. It's just that some complete very quickly while others take months. So I think it varies a lot depending on the individual's personal history, i.e. where you were born and grown up, where you lived and worked, who you have been associated with etc.

Has there been anyone on the forum who got citizenship without going through the security check?
The initial referral to CSIS (and to the RCMP for criminality checks) happens at the very beginning of the process, if not exactly contemporaneous to AOR it is in very close proximity to that (what is not known is whether the person who does the completeness check is or is not the same person who physically opens and enters a citizenship application file in GCMS, which is when the CSIS and RCMP referrals are made).

For the majority of applicants it is apparent that the clearances from both CSIS and RCMP are returned and entered into the GCMS file (even if NOT in a field included in GCMS notes shared with applicants who make the ATIP request) BEFORE the applicant is interviewed (at test event for most). Thus, by the time of the test or interview, most applicants are ready to proceed to the oath contingent on the outcome of the test and the interview (thus, for example, applicants can be scheduled for a same day or next day oath, or like me for the day after the day following my interview).

It is also apparent, however, that sometimes applicants are scheduled for the test/interview before one or the other clearance is in the GCMS file. For these applicants, obviously, there may still be a period of time to wait, after the interview, before one or the other clearance is filed (delays appear to be more common for CSIS than RCMP clearances) and a decision is made.

For some applicants, an update of the clearances will be requested. It is not clear when or why this happens. There are probably multiple reasons why there will be a subsequent referral to update a clearance, ranging from the amount of time that has passed to a processing agent identifying some circumstance which calls for an updated clearance.

Moreover, I am skeptical of the "waiting for a clearance" explanation by call centre representatives. It is probably true, for some, that the application is in queue waiting for a clearance, but my sense is that this is a go-to explanation when an application is simply in queue waiting for the next action to be taken on it. It is worth remembering that the vast, vast majority of the time an application spends "in process," it is actually just sitting in a queue waiting for a processing agent or Citizenship Officer to take action. Just waiting. And I suspect there are more than a few occasions when call centre agents say the application is waiting on a security clearance when in fact the application is just in queue waiting for someone to take action on it.

Otherwise, of course every adult applicant will have had a security clearance done before the oath. For the majority this is routine, the clearance obtained pursuant to the initial referral (around time application gets AOR) being sufficient, and does not cause any delay at all. But yes, for some this does cause some delay. Nothing an applicant can do to accelerate his or her own timeline in this regard.

Jass.5k

Apr 7, 2018
The initial referral to CSIS (and to the RCMP for criminality checks) happens at the very beginning of the process, if not exactly contemporaneous to AOR it is in very close proximity to that (what is not known is whether the person who does the completeness check is or is not the same person who physically opens and enters a citizenship application file in GCMS, which is when the CSIS and RCMP referrals are made).

For the majority of applicants it is apparent that the clearances from both CSIS and RCMP are returned and entered into the GCMS file (even if NOT in a field included in GCMS notes shared with applicants who make the ATIP request) BEFORE the applicant is interviewed (at test event for most). Thus, by the time of the test or interview, most applicants are ready to proceed to the oath contingent on the outcome of the test and the interview (thus, for example, applicants can be scheduled for a same day or next day oath, or like me for the day after the day following my interview).

It is also apparent, however, that sometimes applicants are scheduled for the test/interview before one or the other clearance is in the GCMS file. For these applicants, obviously, there may still be a period of time to wait, after the interview, before one or the other clearance is filed (delays appear to be more common for CSIS than RCMP clearances) and a decision is made.

For some applicants, an update of the clearances will be requested. It is not clear when or why this happens. There are probably multiple reasons why there will be a subsequent referral to update a clearance, ranging from the amount of time that has passed to a processing agent identifying some circumstance which calls for an updated clearance.

Moreover, I am skeptical of the "waiting for a clearance" explanation by call centre representatives. It is probably true, for some, that the application is in queue waiting for a clearance, but my sense is that this is a go-to explanation when an application is simply in queue waiting for the next action to be taken on it. It is worth remembering that the vast, vast majority of the time an application spends "in process," it is actually just sitting in a queue waiting for a processing agent or Citizenship Officer to take action. Just waiting. And I suspect there are more than a few occasions when call centre agents say the application is waiting on a security clearance when in fact the application is just in queue waiting for someone to take action on it.

Otherwise, of course every adult applicant will have had a security clearance done before the oath. For the majority this is routine, the clearance obtained pursuant to the initial referral (around time application gets AOR) being sufficient, and does not cause any delay at all. But yes, for some this does cause some delay. Nothing an applicant can do to accelerate his or her own timeline in this regard.
then why is that thousands of people been asked to do finger prints and thousands not asked to do so, eventhou both thousands have no criminality or security issues, all of us got fingers in both hands

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
then why is that thousands of people been asked to do finger prints and thousands not asked to do so, eventhou both thousands have no criminality or security issues, all of us got fingers in both hands
I do not know the actual numbers.

Since the overall average number of applications processed in a given year (despite it likely going significantly higher for this year, and it having been way, way lower for 2016, each due in large part to big legislative changes, among other year-to-year variations), over the long course, has been around 180,000 or so, perhaps around 200,000 in some years in the last decade, BUT given that total number of applicants streaming through the system, even a relatively small percentage of applicants involves "thousands."

Which is to say I would not read a lot into thousands getting a Finger Print request. It could two percent or ten percent, or something else. I am confident the vast majority of applicants go through the process with NO non-routine processing, not even something so minor as a Finger Print request.

But sure, many, adding up to thousands, are required to submit finger prints. As best we can discern there are various, multiple reasons why this or that applicant is required to submit FPs. Verification of identity is clearly the most common and well-known reason, but why FPs are required to verify the individual applicant's identity itself varies. Coinciding names and dates of birth obviously looms as one of the more common reasons. Some IRCC information, including the information which is included at the bottom of many FP requests, specifically refers to the following:

Where there is an indication that a criminal record may be involved, it is essential to ensure that there is no error in the identity of the applicant concerned, therefore we request fingerprints to verify the applicant's identity.

While this is the most likely reason, I am confident there are other circumstances which trigger a FP request.

In this regard, it is worth noting, IRCC does not limit background screening to just the applicant's formal name. I am also confident that background checks are done for variations and similar names, even those the applicant has not disclosed. For "William Applicantguy," for example, I am sure they check Bill Applicantguy, Will Applicantguy, Willie Applicantguy, among other variable names, and if they cannot readily verify that the applicant William Applicantguy is not the person for whom there is a criminal record check named Bill Applicantguy, then William Applicantguy will likely need to submit FPs. To make sure he is not the person with a criminal record.

But that is just one example among many. There can be many, many more scenarios which will trigger the FP request.

Even for most applicants who are required to submit FPs, as long as they timely respond and submit their FPs, there should minimal impact on the process, little delay.

Obviously for some, however, the FP request can derive from matters which can be related to more significant reasons for non-routine processing, as in potentially more problematic.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
I think they do a name check and if your name is the same (or similar) to someone with a criminal record, they'll get a hit in the database. Then they'll have you do the finger print to make sure you're not the criminal. Those whose name check doesn't get a hit won't have to do this.

0ntarian

Star Member
Nov 29, 2017
Can anyone knows email address for sending reminder to ATIP office, two months earlier requested ATIP.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Can anyone knows email address for sending reminder to ATIP office, two months earlier requested ATIP.
I'd just request it again.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
And make sure you only request the notes. If you request the entire file, that could take longer.