+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
My question is whether I should forgo it when my GC is already guaranteed so I have no risk of going back to my home country.
I found your plot:

“What is my perfect crime? I break into Tiffany's at midnight. Do I go for the vault? No, I go for the chandelier. It's priceless. As I'm taking it down, a woman catches me. She tells me to stop. It's her father's business. She's Tiffany. I say no. We make love all night. In the morning, the immigration officers come, thinking I’m heading to Canada as a PR. But I escape in one of their uniforms. I tell her to meet me in Mexico, but I go to the US. I don't trust the Canadian system. Besides, I've always wanted to be a US citizen. Thirty years later, I get a postcard. I have a son and he's the chief of the Canadian Border Services. This is where the story gets interesting. I tell Tiffany to meet me by the Trocadero in Paris. She's been waiting for me all these years. She's never taken another lover. I don’t care. I don't show up. I go to Berlin. That's where I stashed the chandelier.”

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Thanks for the detailed explanation for the TN Visa. It is definitely a good way to not go through the lottery. But we can only get the TN after we get the passport right? so, it is 4 years wait rather than 3 years?

Wow... I didn't take into account the 18-24 months wait.. is this after the approval of I140 or after you submit your application? Yes, before I get my GC I definitely aim for Canadian citizenship. I guess my question is are there any serious drawbacks of dual US and Canadian citizenship? You said that I don't need to worry about taxes if I live in the US right? Anything else? If not, then there are no negatives whatsoever in getting Canadian citizenship right? I guess what you said here is basically also what I thought about getting Canadian citizenship so that I don't go back to my home country.

TN-1 -> H1B -> GC -> Citizenship route, the process could easily take 10 years -> This one did you count 3 years and 5 years to get both Canada and US citizenship?
Also, are there any ways to maintain both the US GC and Canada PR at the same time while waiting for Canadian citizenship? Let's say I get my GC on my first year of Canada PR, can I wait for two years for Canadian citizenship, and then 3 years after that I can apply for US citizenship? I can only apply for US citizenship 5 years after I get GC and with 2.5 years of physical presence right?
You should write a linear programming formula while putting in all the variables and constraints and assigning risk values. You will have your answer

Alternatively, just ask @Raptor33 for guidance

• Haha
Reactions: abhiram.kumar

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
You should write a linear programming formula while putting in all the variables and constraints and assigning risk values. You will have your answer

Whenever I see his posts I feel like watching Christopher Nolan's "Inception", where the protagonists builds blocks/cities in the air, demolish and creates them again and again in all directions. I didn't want to participate in the conversation for being blamed as being negative. My personal experience is I was forced to leave USA during the 2008 GFC, fired from JP Morgan. They had all IT projects dropped for budget cuts. I will never again try the USA immigration.
1) An US GC dream is so dependent on one's employer, this is so much different from the PR process in any other country. There is multiple steps PERM, I-140 and final GC take 2-3 years, if we change employers bang the cycle restarts again. There is so much undesirable elements in that whole process, employers and their immigration departments have all red tape, HR policies to start all these immigration step only 6 months to 1 years after joining etc...
2) I'm too old and the family can't handle so much uncertainties and frustration.

Last edited:

OneStepAtATime

Star Member
Jun 23, 2021
SEA
Category........
FSW
Dude. What exactly is your question? You’ve been circling around this for a very long time? Why don’t you first decide where you want to live?
Dude's young and ambitious and is trying to optimise his life journey to get to the US as soon as possible while minimising risks. I'm not sure how he's planning to get a GC within this first year in Canada; through the diversity lottery perhaps? or somehow finishing a PhD and churn out multiple good publications within a year? Or more likely, sitting on the PR while working towards a PhD elsewhere, moving to Canada to fulfil the residency requirements after 3 years?

A key step in his plan appeas to involve the completion of a PhD and getting some good publications under his belt. If so he has a fair bit of work to do in the near to medium future and he'll have more than enough time to think about whether to pursue Canadian citizenship after he has accomplished all that and actually has his hands on a GC. Fretting about it now is not a good use of time and energy in my opinion as immigration policies may well change between now and then. Besides, life tends to be messy after school, things often do not go as planned, your goals may change, other opportunities may arise. For now he should probably just work hard, live life, and see what comes of that.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
TN-1 -> H1B -> GC -> Citizenship route, the process could easily take 10 years -> This one did you count 3 years and 5 years to get both Canada and US citizenship?
I started in TN-1 this implies you already have a Canadian citizenship BEFORE you go to the US.

Also, are there any ways to maintain both the US GC and Canada PR at the same time while waiting for Canadian citizenship? Let's say I get my GC on my first year of Canada PR, can I wait for two years for Canadian citizenship, and then 3 years after that I can apply for US citizenship? I can only apply for US citizenship 5 years after I get GC and with 2.5 years of physical presence right?
No I don't think you could given the residency requirement, by the way I suggest reading the US citizenship requirements, 5 years after GC with only 2.5 years of physical presence could break the continuous residence clause, and you might end up loosing both your shot at US naturalization, and GC. The US has a much more stringent requirements for GC holders to maintain their GC status relative to Canada.

My question is whether I should forgo it when my GC is already guaranteed so I have no risk of going back to my home country.
At this point, it depends on you, how much do you value your Canadian PR - and eventual citizenship? My premise of saying you shouldn't forgo it is because you run risk of returning back to your country. If you eliminate the risk, then it becomes subjective, So my question to you now is, how important personally is your PR to you? Unfortunately, I can't answer that question.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Whenever I see his posts I feel like watching Christopher Nolan's "Inception", where the protagonists builds blocks/cities in the air, demolish and creates them again and again in all directions. I didn't want to participate in the conversation for being blamed as being negative. My personal experience is I was forced to leave USA during the 2008 GFC, fired from JP Morgan. They had all IT projects dropped for budget cuts. I will never again try the USA immigration.
1) An US GC dream is so dependent on one's employer, this is so much different from the PR process in any other country. There is multiple steps PERM, I-140 and final GC take 2-3 years, if we change employers bang the cycle restarts again. There is so much undesirable elements in that whole process, employers and their immigration departments have all red tape, HR policies to start all these immigration step only 6 months to 1 years after joining etc...
2) I'm too old and the family can't handle so much uncertainties and frustration.
You probably came to Canada when moving from the US was palatable. Today you could work one of the best companies in the country and still be paying 50% of your paycheck on rent. And no, not everyone can move to Saskatoon or Newfoundland for work, they gotta be near major cities where all the satellites of big companies are. Factor in tax, insurance, wage suppression, union power, ologopolies in certain industries and incompetent government, I sometimes wonder if i should've just married some fugly girl for a GC. Tbh, that option is still on the table... :<]

Still, the benefits of a Canadian passport are worth doing the time. Mobility to US, EU and GCC are still great benefits one will have access to.

Last edited:

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
You probably came to Canada when moving from the US was palatable. Today you could work one of the best companies in the country and still be paying 50% of your paycheck on rent. And no, not everyone can move to Saskatoon or Newfoundland for work, they gotta be near major cities where all the satellites of big companies are. Factor in tax, insurance, wage suppression, union power, ologopolies in certain industries and incompetent government, I sometimes wonder if i should've just married some fugly girl for a GC. Tbh, that option is still on the table... :<]

Still, the benefits of a Canadian passport are worth doing the time. Mobility to US, EU and GCC are still great benefits one will have access to.
My complaint was only against USA flawed immigration systems. Absolutely I agree with you, USA work/pay/cost of living is remarkable. Any qualified Canadian can get all those with a TN (of-course following the right channels). I would personally never go thorough the horrible GC process nor over engineer like our friend who is building castles in the sky.

Last edited:

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
Dude. What exactly is your question? You’ve been circling around this for a very long time? Why don’t you first decide where you want to live?
Dude. What exactly is your question? I've been circling around this for a very long time and you still don't understand where I want to live?

• Haha
Reactions: qdee

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
I found your plot:

“What is my perfect crime? I break into Tiffany's at midnight. Do I go for the vault? No, I go for the chandelier. It's priceless. As I'm taking it down, a woman catches me. She tells me to stop. It's her father's business. She's Tiffany. I say no. We make love all night. In the morning, the immigration officers come, thinking I’m heading to Canada as a PR. But I escape in one of their uniforms. I tell her to meet me in Mexico, but I go to the US. I don't trust the Canadian system. Besides, I've always wanted to be a US citizen. Thirty years later, I get a postcard. I have a son and he's the chief of the Canadian Border Services. This is where the story gets interesting. I tell Tiffany to meet me by the Trocadero in Paris. She's been waiting for me all these years. She's never taken another lover. I don’t care. I don't show up. I go to Berlin. That's where I stashed the chandelier.”

Sorry guys.. just trying to think of all the edge cases & possibilities here.. and make the perfect plot hahaha

@Lord_Tony why did you think "Inception" Hahahaha. When they fired you, did you have your GC in progress? That's why I think I should do this when I am still not that old.. otherwise too many uncertainties.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
Dude's young and ambitious and is trying to optimise his life journey to get to the US as soon as possible while minimising risks. I'm not sure how he's planning to get a GC within this first year in Canada; through the diversity lottery perhaps? or somehow finishing a PhD and churn out multiple good publications within a year? Or more likely, sitting on the PR while working towards a PhD elsewhere, moving to Canada to fulfil the residency requirements after 3 years?

A key step in his plan appeas to involve the completion of a PhD and getting some good publications under his belt. If so he has a fair bit of work to do in the near to medium future and he'll have more than enough time to think about whether to pursue Canadian citizenship after he has accomplished all that and actually has his hands on a GC. Fretting about it now is not a good use of time and energy in my opinion as immigration policies may well change between now and then. Besides, life tends to be messy after school, things often do not go as planned, your goals may change, other opportunities may arise. For now he should probably just work hard, live life, and see what comes of that.
You sort of elaborate a lot of great possibilities.. I guess the Phd plan and immigration plan are clashing with each other. So, I don't know whether I should get Canadian citizenship first and then do Phd and I start my Phd older.. if I do Phd first then I probably need to forgo Canadian PR and aim straight for US GC.. Yes, I think I should not frett too much about it.. I just think I am getting older and the more I wait, the harder it is to move because of family and uncertainties.. It is also the same with Phd, the older I get, the harder it is to do a Phd because of family and opportunity cost, so there are a lot of time bomb all around..

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
I started in TN-1 this implies you already have a Canadian citizenship BEFORE you go to the US.
Okay that seems quite a long time.

TN -> H1B: 2 years
H1B -> GC: 3 years
GC -> Citizenship: 5 years

Is this correct? but this still assumes that your employers start your GC process directly once you get your H1B (after two tries). So, even 10 years is still an optimistic timeline right?

No I don't think you could given the residency requirement, by the way I suggest reading the US citizenship requirements, 5 years after GC with only 2.5 years of physical presence could break the continuous residence clause, and you might end up loosing both your shot at US naturalization, and GC. The US has a much more stringent requirements for GC holders to maintain their GC status relative to Canada.
Yes, I came across the continuous residence requirement as well.. so I guess there is no way around it is it? Technically, we still need to spend almost 5 years in the US for citizenship even if the law says only 2.5 years of physical presence is needed? and it seems harder to maintain both US GC and Canada PR at the same time right? There is a reentry permit, but I guess the continuous residence requirement is still not met even after you apply for a reentry permit.

At this point, it depends on you, how much do you value your Canadian PR - and eventual citizenship? My premise of saying you shouldn't forgo it is because you run risk of returning back to your country. If you eliminate the risk, then it becomes subjective, So my question to you now is, how important personally is your PR to you? Unfortunately, I can't answer that question.
Oh, I guess my question is more like a serious drawback of having dual US-Canadian citizenship, for example, the dual taxation if I live in Canada that you brought up does not seem a lot of fun. Personally, if there is serious no harm or drawback to getting Canadian citizenship, then why not right? It is just 3 years.

Btw, you definitely know a lot of these things, Are you ROW? Have you lived in the US before?

• Haha
Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
Okay that seems quite a long time.

TN -> H1B: 2 years
H1B -> GC: 3 years
GC -> Citizenship: 5 years

Is this correct? but this still assumes that your employers start your GC process directly once you get your H1B (after two tries). So, even 10 years is still an optimistic timeline right?
Yes, assuming the odds are in your favor. It's not unrealistic that you end up several more years before getting GC. For example, it's not uncommon the employer might not be interested in sponsoring you for a GC immediately, they might want to wait out until the very last years of validity of your H1B, due to economic reasons, effectively locking you and your salary with your position in the company.

Yes, I came across the continuous residence requirement as well.. so I guess there is no way around it is it? Technically, we still need to spend almost 5 years in the US for citizenship even if the law says only 2.5 years of physical presence is needed? and it seems harder to maintain both US GC and Canada PR at the same time right? There is a reentry permit, but I guess the continuous residence requirement is still not met even after you apply for a reentry permit.

Oh, I guess my question is more like a serious drawback of having dual US-Canadian citizenship, for example, the dual taxation if I live in Canada that you brought up does not seem a lot of fun. Personally, if there is serious no harm or drawback to getting Canadian citizenship, then why not right? It is just 3 years.

Btw, you definitely know a lot of these things, Are you ROW? Have you lived in the US before?
I'm not sure what do you mean ROW? I've visited the US before as a tourist, but not really lived there. Much like you I'm contemplating of going to the US for economic reasons, but not yet decided if I'll stay (i.e. work in the US for some years, then go back to Canada to settle when I can afford a home, or stay in the US for good).