+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW, Living in Ontario while Working in Quebec

freek4iphone

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
Hi,

I understand that someone living in Quebec can not file a Federal Skill Worker application. Do you think it would be OK to live in Ontario while working in Quebec to file your Federal Skilled worker application? Do they look at your employment or residence? I would think they look at your residential address to determine whether you can file application for Federal or not.

Thanks a lot.

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
freek4iphone said:
Hi,

I understand that someone living in Quebec can not file a Federal Skill Worker application. Do you think it would be OK to live in Ontario while working in Quebec to file your Federal Skilled worker application? Do they look at your employment or residence? I would think they look at your residential address to determine whether you can file application for Federal or not.

Thanks a lot.

I understand that someone living in Quebec can not file a Federal Skill Worker application. --> I am not sure about this, but, how did you understand this to be true? What prevents you from applying for FSW (even though you are living in Quebec)?

Also, if you are already living and working in Quebec, why not apply under QSWP?

I think you Skill Worker application will be dependent on where you intend to live/work.

Do you think it would be OK to live in Ontario while working in Quebec to file your Federal Skilled worker application? --> How would you live in Ontario while working in Quebec?

Do they look at your employment or residence? --> I am sure you already know the answer to this question is absolutely YES, they look at everything...they look at where you (claim to) work AND where you (claim to) live.

freek4iphone

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
Thanks donutbox,

I did some research online and posted prior questions on a couple of forums and I got similar response everywhere that while living in Quebec i can not file for any Federal categories. I talked a lawyer and he said i can ABSOLUTELY not apply for FSW while living in Quebec. But, I talked to CIC customer care yesterday and One agent told me that if live in Ontario (irrespective of where i work) I can apply for FSW. The other agent told me that I could be living anywhere and apply for FSW. So I don't know who to believe.

Now I work in Montreal on LMO exempt work permit and can technically apply for QSW but there are a few challenges 1. Not much support for Quebec Validated Job offer from my employer and 2. No French knowledge.

So, instead of trying to fix these 2 challenges, I am exploring a third path which is to live in Ontario (There are a couple of towns in Ontario which are 1-2 hour drive from Montreal. ) and apply for FSW for which i qualify as Arranged Employement.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't think you can apply for FSW if you job offer is in Quebec. It needs to be a non-Quebec job offer.

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
freek4iphone said:
Thanks donutbox,

I did some research online and posted prior questions on a couple of forums and I got similar response everywhere that while living in Quebec i can not file for any Federal categories. I talked a lawyer and he said i can ABSOLUTELY not apply for FSW while living in Quebec. But, I talked to CIC customer care yesterday and One agent told me that if live in Ontario (irrespective of where i work) I can apply for FSW. The other agent told me that I could be living anywhere and apply for FSW. So I don't know who to believe.

Now I work in Montreal on LMO exempt work permit and can technically apply for QSW but there are a few challenges 1. Not much support for Quebec Validated Job offer from my employer and 2. No French knowledge.

So, instead of trying to fix these 2 challenges, I am exploring a third path which is to live in Ontario and apply for FSW for which i qualify as Arranged Employement.

This was/is my understanding too:

"The other agent told me that I could be living anywhere and apply for FSW"......in other words, you could be a FSW who just happens to be living and working in Quebec.

I don't really know of there being a restriction on you applying for FSW simply because you live/work in Quebec. Please take a look at the links below:

Self-assessment test – Skilled workers and professionals

Backgrounder — Information for Applicants to the New Federal Skilled Worker Program

Determine your eligibility–Skilled workers and professionals

Depending on your actual circumstances, you could possibly even consider applying under Canadian Experience Class

islandbabe

Champion Member
Mar 26, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Freek,

Be smart Apply for your CSQ you will get it in 2 months, then apply for Federal Section....the process in Quebec is referred to as PIQ......Basically Quebec experience class and is the fastest way to get your PPR in a year or less!!!!

What is your occupation? As long as your AT is on the Quebec list for 6 points or more you are in a great position.

freek4iphone said:
Thanks donutbox,

So, instead of trying to fix these 2 challenges, I am exploring a third path which is to live in Ontario (There are a couple of towns in Ontario which are 1-2 hour drive from Montreal. ) and apply for FSW for which i qualify as Arranged Employement.

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
islandbabe said:
Hi Freek,

Be smart Apply for your CSQ you will get it in 2 months, then apply for Federal Section....the process in Quebec is referred to as PIQ......Basically Quebec experience class and is the fastest way to get your PPR in a year or less!!!!

What is your occupation? As long as your AT is on the Quebec list for 6 points or more you are in a great position.
As per islandbabe suggestion, I would recommend you take a look at the following link too:

Applying for a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ – Québec selection certificate)

(This requires you to "prove that you have at least an intermediate knowledge of oral French" though)

freek4iphone

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
islandbabe said:
Hi Freek,

That's what I wanted to start with but I don't know whether this is a coincidence or not, but, a few of my colleagues have been waiting for CSQ for last 6-8 months, and some have received CSQ and waiting for Federal part for last 15 months. I don't mind learning french but I think it will easily take me a few months. One of my colleague's application was rejected after a wait of 6 months because he didn't know french, now he is starting to learn french and applying under Quebec Experience Class. They expect you to know some french even if you an arranged employment.

freek4iphone

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
freek4iphone said:
Thanks, Yes French is required, and i don't mind learning but intermediate expertise will take a few months. So I am exploring if there is another option.

Well, as per my previous posts, I can only recommedn you take a look at the other links I posted (especially the Canadian Experience Class link)

donutbox said:
I don't really know of there being a restriction on you applying for FSW simply because you live/work in Quebec. Please take a look at the links below:

Self-assessment test – Skilled workers and professionals

Backgrounder — Information for Applicants to the New Federal Skilled Worker Program

Determine your eligibility–Skilled workers and professionals

Depending on your actual circumstances, you could possibly even consider applying under Canadian Experience Class

freek4iphone

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
freek4iphone said:
Thanks, Yes French is required, and i don't mind learning but intermediate expertise will take a few months. So I am exploring if there is another option.
It sounds really dumb that I can apply for FSW (Arranged Employment) from anywhere in world but not from Quebec. I have an occupation which is in demand (Computer Software Manager with 10 Years experience in Investment Banking).

I got a ray of hope after talking to CIC yesterday that if i live out of Quebec (irrespective of where i work) i can apply under FSW. So i wanted to ask the community if they have ever heard such a case.

freek4iphone

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
donutbox said:
Well, as per my previous posts, I can only recommedn you take a look at the other links I posted (especially the Canadian Experience Class link)
For Canadian Experience class as well, i have to prove that i intend to live out of Quebec and my residential address must be out of Quebec.

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
freek4iphone said:
For Canadian Experience class as well, i have to prove that i intend to live out of Quebec and my residential address must be out of Quebec.

I think the correct answer to your original question is, for your FSW application, it does not matter if you are currently living and/or working Quebec.

I suspect however that CIC, might ask you why didn't you apply for QSWP instead, since you are living/working in Quebec......of course your response can't be....."I am trying to avoid learning French"....

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
I think I might have found the answer (at the official CIC website) you did not want to hear:

Who is a federal skilled worker?

Skilled workers are chosen as permanent residents based on their education, work experience, knowledge of English and/or French, and other factors. These things often help them succeed in Canada.

People can apply to immigrate to Canada under "Federal skilled worker" category. Skilled workers apply under this category if they want to live in any Canadian province or territory except Quebec.

Skilled workers who want to live in Quebec apply under a separate category. The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers. Applicants who intend to go to Quebec are known as "Quebec-selected" skilled workers.

source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=106&t=6

Given the above answer, for you to apply for FSW, you need to show that you do not intend to immigrate to the province of Quebec.

If some how you can show/prove that your intention is to go to a province outside of Quebec then you would be ok with FSW application. Once you get your FSW you can use it anywhere in Canada, including Quebec.

It is quite plausible that you live in Ontario but you then got a job in Quebec.....and as such you are relocating to work in Quebec......I don't know how you are gonna explain all of this to CIC though, but its POSSIBLE....good luck.

Also, note the below statement makes reference to "live", it did NOT say "work" and it did NOT say "live" and "work".......it ONLY said "live".

"Skilled workers apply under this category if they want to live in any Canadian province or territory except Quebec."

You are applying for FSW because you are going to "live" in Ontario......there is no need for specific reference to where you are going to work....the regulations makes no such reference........so you could very well live in Ontario.....but work in Quebec.

(....I am not a lawyer though)