+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From Work Permit to Study Permit - High School for adults

tmartihs

Mar 24, 2016
Hello!

I'm currently living in Canada, Ontario.

I moved to Canada about two years ago and my name is at the Express Entry pool.

Thing is, I lost my job and my current visa will expire in the end of April, so, for me to stay here legally, while I'm waiting for an ITA, I have to do something.

I could apply to extend my stay here but, I'll only do this if I don't have any other options.

I don't have high school, neither any kind of diploma. So, here is my question:

Is there any high school program for adults that will also allow me to apply for a study permit?

Reading now: http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/study/OI_HOW_STUDY_ADULTED.html

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello!

Thing is, I lost my job and my current visa will expire in the end of April, so, for me to stay here legally, while I'm waiting for an ITA, I have to do something.

I could apply to extend my stay here but, I'll only do this if I don't have any other options.

Is there any high school program for adults that will also allow me to apply for a study permit?

Reading now: http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/study/OI_HOW_STUDY_ADULTED.html
Hi

I'm curious to know how you think you are going to get an ITA when your previous posts say you only have a CRS of 253.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello!

Yes - there are high school programs that cater to adults. The Toronto school board is currently upgrading their site. Once that upgrade is done, recommend you visit this page: http://www.tdsb.on.ca/Adult-Learners

Whether you'll be able to get a study permit based on high school studies is hard to say. The program will have to be full time and in person (it cannot be online) to qualify for a study permit. I think it will likely be difficult - however you can certainly try.

Note that you cannot work while studying at the high school level and will not qualify for a post graduate work permit once you complete your studies.

tmartihs

Mar 24, 2016
Hi

I'm curious to know how you think you are going to get an ITA when your previous posts say you only have a CRS of 253.
In a similar way that I got my previous job here in first place. I'm applying for jobs and soon as a company is willing to sponsor a new work permit / LMIA for me, I'll upload the job offer to the EE profile and get more points.

Also, if I have better education, I'll also have more points.

I have 20 years of experience with Linux, IP networks, Cloud Computing (OpenStack, Amazon EC2 and etc)... Canada needs me, and I need Canada. ;-)

tmartihs

Mar 24, 2016
Yes - there are high school programs that cater to adults. The Toronto school board is currently upgrading their site. Once that upgrade is done, recommend you visit this page: http://www.tdsb.on.ca/Adult-Learners

Whether you'll be able to get a study permit based on high school studies is hard to say. The program will have to be full time and in person (it cannot be online) to qualify for a study permit. I think it will likely be difficult - however you can certainly try.

Note that you cannot work while studying at the high school level and will not qualify for a post graduate work permit once you complete your studies.
Sounds awesome! Thank you!

tmartihs

Mar 24, 2016
Hey guys!

I have a Letter of Acceptance from TDSB!

But I'm reading that I can not apply for a Study Permit (changing from WP to SP) from within Canada!? Is that right?

If yes, how to proceed? Can I just drive to New York and do it from there?

I'll do EVERYTHING I can do get more points into my EE Profile! And finishing my high school here in Canada (get a OSSD or similar) is one of my top priorities now!

Cheers!