28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Pls Suggest what should I do
If you want to take the French test to score additional points and will be learning French from scratch, you should expect that it will take 1 to 1.5 years of concentrated study to achieve the proficiency required.

Jatinder_singh

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
If you want to take the French test to score additional points and will be learning French from scratch, you should expect that it will take 1 to 1.5 years of concentrated study to achieve the proficiency required.
Thanks for the reply, but until then my IELTS will get expire

vvik33

Star Member
Aug 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Guys,
Don't listen to the pessimists. Search the TEF threads and you'll find the story of the lady who learned French and passed TEF at C1 level in 6 months.
I myself have started learning French since September and I'm currently in A2/ beginner B1 Level.

The truth is, if you really want it you'll find a way to make it work.

Rohit Chhabra

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
I am also in the same boat.
After starting to learn casually with freeware apps (Duolingo & Memrise) and after reading a lot of blogs, I eventually started pursuing it seriously since last couple of months. I've joined weekend classes with Alliance Francaise Institute ( & plan to join weekday classes once the A1 course finishes in Mar' 20) and continue to use Duolingo daily. Apart from this, I've also taken a subscription of Pimsleur app (this one focuses on listening & speaking).
If you don't have a french teaching institute in your city, then I would say that Pimsleur subscription is a great way to get started. You can also use italki website where you can find online teachers at different price points.
All in all, I'm spending around 3-4 hours everyday learning french (mostly during commuting & lunch time, plus any spare time that I can find) & I'm hoping that by the end of 2020, I would have reached B2 level (CLB >= 7).
So overall, if you intend to pursue it, you would need to consistently find time from your routine to dedicate to learning. Oh, and don't be intimidated, it's fun :)

Rohit Chhabra

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
Guys,
Don't listen to the pessimists. Search the TEF threads and you'll find the story of the lady who learned French and passed TEF at C1 level in 6 months.
I myself have started learning French since September and I'm currently in A2/ beginner B1 Level.

Wow! Way to go man! Please do go through my post, I would love to hear any suggestions other than what I've been doing to accelerate the learning process. :)

Jatinder_singh

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
Guys,

Thkx for the moral support. I was extremely discouraged. By the way , dear what will u suggest whether I should start learning French or try for study visa as I am 34yrs old

vvik33

Star Member
Aug 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Wow! Way to go man! Please do go through my post, I would love to hear any suggestions other than what I've been doing to accelerate the learning process. :)
Thank you!
I'm doing almost the same as you ; using duolingo everyday and attending Alliance Francais. The only difference is I have 4 classes a week (around 7.5hrs per week) and I watch Inner French on YouTube. He speaks very clearly and at a good pace with subtitles. I'm also watching this over and over (looking away from the screen to try and understand without reading the text)

Another tip is, when I use duolingo, I also don't look at the French text, I only listen and answer. This is to help practice my listening.
Good luck!

Reactions: dayocanny

Rohit Chhabra

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
Thank you!
I'm doing almost the same as you ; using duolingo everyday and attending Alliance Francais. The only difference is I have 4 classes a week (around 7.5hrs per week) and I watch Inner French on YouTube. He speaks very clearly and at a good pace with subtitles. I'm also watching this over and over (looking away from the screen to try and understand without reading the text)

Another tip is, when I use duolingo, I also don't look at the French text, I only listen and answer. This is to help practice my listening.
Good luck!
Merci, the video looks great. Adding it to my list :) & will check out the inner french channel too.

Je voudrais travailler avec vous pour pratiquer la conversation. Si vous aimez, pouvons-nous nous connecter par téléphone? (écrit avec aide pour la traduction google)

dayocanny

Nov 17, 2019
Thank you!

Good luck!
with this listening strategy, I must confess you are on the right track. I have an audio book with transcriptions that can also help. I used it in my A1, A2 levels.

I am the lady who did it in 6months

Rohit Chhabra

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
with this listening strategy, I must confess you are on the right track. I have an audio book with transcriptions that can also help. I used it in my A1, A2 levels.

Woah! So, the legend is true! :)
This day keeps getting better. Thanks for the inspiration, la femme formidable :)

vvik33

Star Member
Aug 8, 2019
Category........
FSW

Yes! :D This is the lady I was referring to. I didn't remember your username to tag you.

What's the name of the audio book please? That would help me a lot.
Thanks in advance! :)

dayocanny

Nov 17, 2019
Yes! :D This is the lady I was referring to. I didn't remember your username to tag you.

What's the name of the audio book please? That would help me a lot.
Thanks in advance! :)
The book is titled "compétences A1, A2 comprehension orale"
The transcriptions to the audio are at the back of the book. You simply listen and read along with the transcriptions. After listening several times, you wouldn't need the transcriptions any more.