+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forsee any problems?

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Folks -

So the plan is this, PPR was received Wednesday, dropping off passport in person 5th Nov collecting on 19th Nov.

Canadian partner is returning ahead of me (20th Nov) to get some things sorted and start work.

I still have a house to sell here but want to get the ball rolling so will "land" 21st December get SIN, open bank account etc, perhaps take driving test - time permitting and return to the UK in January 2010.

I am going to fly into Seattle (as its 50% cheaper from the UK, already have ESTA, and US address of friends in Point Roberts Wa. if necessary but will tell US officials of actual plans,) then my partner will come down to collect me and drive us up to Coquitlam BC via Peace Arch. My question: can anyone see any issues with what I've said so far?

diddagirl

Star Member
Aug 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't see issues at all... you have your visa waiver (ESTA) to legally get you into the States, and as far as entering Canada to land, they dont care if you came via the United States. You should be all good!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Looks like a great plan. Don't forget about the Goods forms through CBSA.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4151-eng.html

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks both.

Another couple of questions though...

I am taking pretty much no "goods" except clothing on the "landing" trip - so nothing to declare I presume?

Goods to follow will be more clothing and linens plus laptop - I list the laptop?

My partner has been out of Canada for more than 6 years, we are shipping items that have little value - CD's, books, sound system (it's french so it works on wiring and voltage) plus linens, clothes and so forth; we're aware that the returning or former resident are slightly different, but which of us declares - or do we both declare? The items will arrive after the Canadian returns to Canada but perhaps before or after I return after landing and going back to the UK....?

I will be transferring money directly from UK bank to Canadian bank account prior to landing - it will be over $10k, I presume I will declare this?

Thanks

ange

Star Member
Jan 8, 2009
I have a question to add on to Whoopi83's question:
You're supposed to fill in a value for goods, but just like Woopi83, a lot of my stuff has no value. We'd probably have to pay someone to take it off our hands!! How stick are immigration officers about the ' value ' column?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
are you planning to take this stuff with you or ship it? I don't think any items in shipping should be declared, and related to stuff taken with you, they ask to declare only valuable things.

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suin said:
are you planning to take this stuff with you or ship it? I don't think any items in shipping should be declared, and related to stuff taken with you, they ask to declare only valuable things.
Hmm, thanks Suin. I thought that you must also declare what is shipped if it has value? After reading some more I have decided that clothes and stuff is not to be declared but the laptop and other valuables should be.

Still not sure on the $10k thing - any answers? I would "think" that the transfer could be construed as a monetary instrument....?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
Hello,
it usually depends on your bank - what is a limit of transaction and how much fee they charge. Canadian bank can receive any sum without a limit.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
whoopi83 said:
Hmm, thanks Suin. I thought that you must also declare what is shipped if it has value? After reading some more I have decided that clothes and stuff is not to be declared but the laptop and other valuables should be.

Still not sure on the $10k thing - any answers? I would "think" that the transfer could be construed as a monetary instrument....?
yes, if it has a value, you have to declare the shipped stuff too. I know one girl who relocated to Canada from the US, she had a track full of her stuff together with furniture come across the border and she had to declare all that was there before they left her to unload it.

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suin said:
Hello,
it usually depends on your bank - what is a limit of transaction and how much fee they charge. Canadian bank can receive any sum without a limit.
Hi - yes I know this part, I am asking about the "declare money over $10k" when you enter Canada.... customs.

canaboy

Sep 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you have to declare the transfer of funds over $10,000 CAD

Enjoy the lower mainland!

amsyul

Oct 14, 2009
whoopi83 said:
Suin said:
Hello,
Hi - yes I know this part, I am asking about the "declare money over $10k" when you enter Canada.... customs.
See
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5052-eng.html
and
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e677.pdf
however, this covers money (or direct money equivalents) that are you carrying with you. A wire money transfer never travels with you. I think the banks need to declare high amounts themselves. You might want to mention it to the border official though just to be sure.