+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forgot to Update Marital Status before Receiving Landing Paper

Bosvan

Aug 16, 2017
I forgot to update my marital status before receiving my landing paper and now my landing paper says single. If I apply for my spouse PR under family immigration will there be problems? How much do amendments take?

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
Yes there will be problems, you may not be able to sponsor your spouse in future. You will have to contact IRCC and let them know about your status change, they will ask for your spouse documents and will be able to send both of you updated landing documents. It may take time but Do not do your landing as "Single".

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I forgot to update my marital status before receiving my landing paper and now my landing paper says single. If I apply for my spouse PR under family immigration will there be problems? How much do amendments take?
You cannot land using the visa you have now. You have to return it and let CIC know you've gotten married. If you land using the visa you have now, you will never be able to sponsor your spouse for PR and may have your own PR status revoked for misrepresentation.

Bosvan

Aug 16, 2017
You cannot land using the visa you have now. You have to return it and let CIC know you've gotten married. If you land using the visa you have now, you will never be able to sponsor your spouse for PR and may have your own PR status revoked for misrepresentation.
Revoked? Is it possible?

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
Yes, it could be revoked as of misrepresentation. You filed an application stating that you are single, let's say in future when you will be filing sponsorship your marriage certificate will reflect the dates before you landed as PR. This clearly is a misrepresentation and can easily end up revoking your status and worse case could be a ban as well.

Reactions: Buletruck

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Even worse than a ban, they can revoke your citizenship if discovered later as well. DO NOT LAND without updating your status and having your wife complete the medical and background checks,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
OP started a thread today called "PR Card Timeline" and said "Still waiting", so it seems that the damage is already done.

Bosvan

Aug 16, 2017
Yes, it could be revoked as of misrepresentation. You filed an application stating that you are single, let's say in future when you will be filing sponsorship your marriage certificate will reflect the dates before you landed as PR. This clearly is a misrepresentation and can easily end up revoking your status and worse case could be a ban as well.
I doubt PR will be revoked or banned because criminal offenses are more in that line. Just a marital status update failure wont be that harmful. Will talk to an attorney today.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes you got it my friend. Figuring out alternatives
You can never sponsor your spouse in that case.

Your alternatives are:

1) Renounce your PR status. Apply for PR again from scratch - this time including your spouse in the application.
2) Your spouse qualifies and applies for PR on their own through an economic stream like Express Entry without relying on sponsorship or points from you.

Bosvan

Aug 16, 2017
You can never sponsor your spouse in that case.

Your alternatives are:

1) Renounce your PR status. Apply for PR again from scratch - this time including your spouse in the application.
2) Your spouse qualifies and applies for PR on their own through an economic stream like Express Entry without relying on sponsorship or points from you.
Got it! Thanks. I think we will go the express entry route

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I doubt PR will be revoked or banned because criminal offenses are more in that line. Just a marital status update failure wont be that harmful. Will talk to an attorney today.
That's incorrect. We have seen cases here where PR has in fact been revoked for this reason.

You committed misrepresentation at landing by using a COPR that was issued to a single person when you were in fact married. This is grounds for revoking your PR status if CIC decides to pursue this matter.

You should be at very low risk of this ever happening if you never sponsor your spouse. If you try to sponsor your spouse, the application is guaranteed to be refused. Additionally, by submitting the sponsorship application, you will draw attention to the fact that you committed misrepresentation and CIC has the option to begin the process of revoking your PR status.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You committed immigration fraud, so yes, your status could certainly be revoked if IRCC found out.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

You committed immigration fraud, so yes, your status could certainly be revoked if IRCC found out.
1. Perfect timing, here is a posted Federal Court decision where a person "forgot" to declare his spouse. :https://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/en/item/306838/index.do His appeal was dismissed, and he had been a PR for 6 years.
2. [9] On July 18, 2016, the Applicant was declared inadmissible to Canada and ordered removed due to a misrepresentation under s.40(1)(a) of the IRPA by the Immigration Division.