+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreign Service - Strike?

gongdi

Star Member
Jan 14, 2013
user828 said:
IMO - Harper is amongst the last George Bush style leader left
I always thought Harper is more on the lines of a Thatcher, Mulroney, or spokesperson for Imperial oil.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
gongdi said:
I always thought Harper is more on the lines of a Thatcher, Mulroney, or spokesperson for Imperial oil.
Unbelievable, he is proroguing again...

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
His number one concern is "jobs and the economy"....reducing more jobs and destroying the economy.......

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
gongdi said:
That's actually the governor general's final decision, but yeah, he'll get a cash-stuffed envelope so no worries.
Technically, yes. But an unelected official cannot, and should not be able to overrule an elected one. Even if that elected official is awful, like Mr Harper.

finalhope

Jul 17, 2013
I have just heard Harper given a speech that they are not going back to work till October(not September).
So i guess this means they can't order back to work on PAFSO.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/harper-says-he-will-prorogue-parliament-deliver-throne-speech-in-october-1.1417629
Somebody is going to have to step up to the plate and get things sorted like yesterday. :mad:

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
finalhope said:
I have just heard Harper given a speech that they are not going back to work till October(not September).
So i guess this means they can't order back to work on PAFSO.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/harper-says-he-will-prorogue-parliament-deliver-throne-speech-in-october-1.1417629
Somebody is going to have to step up to the plate and get things sorted like yesterday. :mad:
His government is in a bit of a mess with the Senate scandal and this strike. I think he recognized that he will lose on both fronts in Parliament so he will spend the next few months making photo ops and letting the public forget.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
CanadianJeepGuy said:
His government is in a bit of a mess with the Senate scandal and this strike. I think he recognized that he will lose on both fronts in Parliament so he will spend the next few months making photo ops and letting the public forget.
There is a third advantage for him, a continued attack on unions (taken from the CBC)

A private member's bill that would require labour unions to publish detailed financial information, known as Bill C-377, would be restored to third reading, the last stage completed by the House of Commons.

The bill had been the subject of heated debate in the Senate, where it was amended and sent back to the House of Commons. But prorogation would wipe the slate clean as far as the Senate deliberations are concerned, according to the Library of Parliament.

"Thus, the bill would be sent back to the Senate in the same state it had been when it was passed at third reading by the House in December 2012, prior to the Senate amendment," the library said in an email to The Canadian Press.

"The Senate would then begin the process of considering the bill anew; the Senate may vote to pass the bill unamended, amend the bill in precisely the same way it had been amended before, or introduce entirely new amendments."

Frida19

Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2013
Doc's Request.
05-05-2013
AOR Received.
05-05-2013
File Transfer...
28-03-2013
Med's Request
ARC REQUEST 21-02-14 ARC SEND 26-02-14
Med's Done....
14-12-2012
Interview........
19-02-2014APPROVED
Passport Req..
26 -03-2014 PASSPORT SEND 26-03-14
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-14
LANDED..........
28-04-14
Hello everybody ,

are there any news about the strike ?? seems to be over soon ???

Thank u :)

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Frida19 said:
Hello everybody ,

are there any news about the strike ?? seems to be over soon ???

Thank u :)
Latest article on the strike:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/08/20/pol-foreign-service-officer-strike-rally-hearing.html

Matt29

Aug 15, 2013
costaudjoe said:
We clearly have different viewpoints on Korea. You think it's the only place where old ladies (ajumma) push? Hit the vegetable section at Real Canadian Superstore, raise your elbows high my friend. The escalators are exactly the same as here (Canada). I live in Montreal and the drivers are as bad if not worse than Korea. And check out Saint-Laurent street on Saturday night (drunks galore). Oh and pot is smoked openly here. The weather in Korea is almost identical to the weather in Toronto. As for freedom, I am not really sure what you are referring to. The only real difference is the food delivery guys riding their mopeds on the sidewalk. Hardly anything to get worked up over.

In some ways Korea is better organized than Canada. The public transportation kicks ass, they move a lot of people and they do it well. It has AC. Take the bus mid-July in Montreal and you will know what I am talking about (you will quickly find out who believes in deodorant or not). Subways have washrooms (and clean ones at that). At the restaurant the servers leave you alone until you ring the doorbell or call them. And no taxes or tips on your meals. Government services are lightning fast. Ask those who had to get their police report from Korea (can you say "same day service"?).

Sounds like you need to hit the Korean sauna (jim jil bang) and relax a little.
I lived in Mississauga and Toronto my whole life. The weather in Canada is not the same. Also, this is one of the hottest recorded summers in Korea. yes, there is AC on transportation, and yeah they are a heck of a lot more efficient. So is the government services. I got my visa approval AND extension in 24 hours. As for ajuma, I have never experienced such rudeness in Canada compared to here. Public drinking is illegal in Canada btw, so if you are getting drunk on the streets of Montreal, be careful. In Korea, it doesn't matter. You can buy a drink from the corner store and drink it right outside on the curb. In Canada (at least Ontario, where I am from) the LCBO and Beer Store are the ONLY suppliers for alcohol, which you must consume on YOUR property, OR you can go to a bar/restaurant where yes, you have to pay tax and tips unlike here, but are rarely bothered, where as here (in case you are not a white person) because I am foreign, I am ALWAYS bothered. I don't drink really, but since people drink anywhere anytime here, the situation can come up literally anywhere. Also, you show me an escalator in Canada as long as the ones at lets say WangSimNi, or Jonglosamga and then we'll talk. I also forgot to mention I once slipped behind a car in a back alley during the winter here, and it proceeded to back up over me right after it reer ended someone else because it wasn't paying attention to the road. I know that is not country specific, but those kind of back alley things don't happen in my city. Toronto, some parts, perhaps, but Mississauga? Hell no. Also, I prefer not to go to sauna's here or anywhere actually. They feel a bit sketchy to me.

Can we talk about the visa stuff though? I mean, I would like to go home for Christmas since my family has never even met my son.....

Matt29

Aug 15, 2013
gongdi said:
Believe me, SK is a cakewalk compared to China. The rudeness is amplified 400% over here compared to where you are!That is not to mention the air pollution which sometimes forces us indoors all day long! Anyways, I'm in a similar situation. My visa expires in January and we have not heard from VO since April. We've got a baby daughter w Cdn passport and I don't want to pull straws in January to see whic one of us gets separated from our child. We began the process last January thinking there would be lots of time, but time keeps ticking away. Hopefully my child's tiny lungs can get through the smog for a few more months! :-[
As for the DPRK issue, I'd say if a conflict arises, the entire world would get involved, and not only SK would be affected. I feel most sorry for Egyptians waiting for PRs as their embassy has closed down for the past few weeks. :-X
I know I sound like I am just bitching about my situation and there are those like you and the Egyptians who are WAY worse off than me. The air here is not even CLOSE to as bad as China. I hope your daughter is alright ><". I also heard that the AC in China causes people to get sick from going outside and then inside often, because of the temperature differences. I won't get separated from my wife or son though, since I have a two year visa....but if this process takes more than 2 years, then perhaps it will happen. I also know that Korea is not that rude. All my friends in Canada are Chinese. They are nice guys. However, I have heard tonnes of stories about their home cities. Beijing, ChangCuen, FuZhou, Taipei (taiwan), Qilong (HK), HongKong (HK). I even worked for some before.

And for the guy saying I am ranting and from a small town: you get a kid in a foreign country and then tell me if you worry. If you do, then don't post it since apparently I am some Canadian hillbilly with some "emotional problems" that are too small for you to give a crap. I just want what is best for my son. When you get some responsibility, then grow some balls and post something that you have actual knowledge in. Otherwise, open your mind and try to walk in my shoes.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
The thing with the ajuma issue is that Korea has very very old school values in regards to elders. They take the "respect your elders" thing seriously (though the younger generation is changing). So not only are you suppose to defer to them, but they EXPECT that treatment. So that is why a lot of old people feel they can push their way around because they are old and you are supposed to defer to them. Sometimes the elder this gets out of control - like the if you don't call someone older than you "hyung", they beat you up thing. But overall it is cultural thing.

Ok I've said enough on this topic. Let's get back on topic. Thanks

Matt29

Aug 15, 2013
skas13 said:
I lived in South Korea for a year, and I felt it was the one the safest countries I have ever been to. You have to worry more about how people treat your mixed culture child though. My friend lives there with his Korean wife and they have two chuildren. He gets a lot of comments and stuff because of his children. But honestly, I think it is a real stretch to call South Korea, unsafe.
]
Fair enough, but I have had issues with mixed race. Also, in my country, if someone swore at me, I could swear back and feel 1 on 1. Here, if I did that, I would feel 1 vs many since I not only don't speak Korean, but also, I might offend multiple people just by saying a korean swear. They ironically think our swears are meaningless. But thanks for the advice. Don't get me wrong, it is not a totally unsafe place here at all. I knew people from Jane and Finch in Canada. One is dead now....compared to that, this place is like a church. That being said, I am not always treated as at least an equal to most people here.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Matt29 said:
And for the guy saying I am ranting and from a small town: you get a kid in a foreign country and then tell me if you worry. If you do, then don't post it since apparently I am some Canadian hillbilly with some "emotional problems" that are too small for you to give a crap. I just want what is best for my son. When you get some responsibility, then grow some balls and post something that you have actual knowledge in. Otherwise, open your mind and try to walk in my shoes.
I didn't call YOU a hillbilly. But i said I have heard those complaints before. Honestly when you ask me to grow some balls before I comment, you need to look at yourself. After only a year in Korea, you made some very disrespectful comments (and strange ones) and made them like you are an expert on the topic. I'm not an expert on your issues, but you are not an expert on Korea either. Korea is different than Canada. But your comments were not respectful, you just took a nasty shot at it.