+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

For those looking to travel after Oath

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Looks like IRCC changed their Urgent processing (surprise, surprise) so that loss of travel expenses is no longer a valid reason to request an urgent processing of service

Link to the verbiage. Money quote here:
"The loss of airfare or other travel expenses is not a valid reason for urgent travel."

Welp, there's my New Year's plans for out-of-country celebrations scotched. Seems like IRCC really /do/ want you to put your life on hold in the event you get blessed by them to get the Oath whenever.

Best advice: Buy fully refundable/reimbursable tickets, rooms, etc

Best of luck.

Reactions: CaBeaver

iMayflower

Star Member
Feb 12, 2017
NOC Code......
Oh no... I've been planning to ask for expedite delivery of a certificate during my ceremony :oops:

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Oh no... I've been planning to ask for expedite delivery of a certificate during my ceremony :oops:
I suppose you can always ask, but unless it's pretty serious, I wouldn't make any bets on it (They do say "loss of business" is acceptable, but not "loss of travel"; I wonder why the rationale? Lost money is lost money, regardless, no?)

iMayflower

Star Member
Feb 12, 2017
NOC Code......
I suppose you can always ask, but unless it's pretty serious, I wouldn't make any bets on it (They do say "loss of business" is acceptable, but not "loss of travel"; I wonder why the rationale? Lost money is lost money, regardless, no?)
Well if they deny, then that's it... will have to cancel the trip, but I'll try and ask during the ceremony.

bartek2101

Jul 30, 2020
Hello,

I have a question about travelling to the US via the land border. I was just scheduled for an Oath Ceremony for Feb 7 but had previously made plans to go to the US for a week on Feb 12.

Can I ask for expedited delivery of the certificate during the oath and if approved would I get it within 4 days? Also, can I still use a citizenship certificate to re-enter Canada via the land border?

Thanks!

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
It's
Hello,

I have a question about travelling to the US via the land border. I was just scheduled for an Oath Ceremony for Feb 7 but had previously made plans to go to the US for a week on Feb 12.

Can I ask for expedited delivery of the certificate during the oath and if approved would I get it within 4 days? Also, can I still use a citizenship certificate to re-enter Canada via the land border?

Thanks!
It's been mentioned quite a few times, but I wouldn't chance it - the cert comes when it comes (mine came around a week and change after the Oath.) Between Oath and reception of certificate, you are officially a citizen, but have no way to prove it and, unless you have a mega-good reason for expediting it (usually someone dying or work-related), they won't budge. You can ask during the time with the officer at the Oath, however - worst they can say is "no".

From my Oath until passport in hand was a shade under a month, but I applied for the passport in person, so your mileage may vary.

Reactions: PEQ2013

justpeachy

Feb 9, 2017
Hi, also interested in others experiences here.

Partner and I have been scheduled for oath ceremony on Feb 14th (how romantic lol!) but there is a lot of conflicting information re: travel after the ceremony. I know we need to destroy our PR cards on that day but is it true that when they ask if you have any upcoming travel plans that you have the option to pick up the certificate rather than have it mailed? Or is that something that has changed because of COVID? We're in Toronto if that helps.

We've planned a trip to US for March 17th but I'm unsure as to whether that trip is realistically an option at this point. If anyone knows of a thread that might have better information on this please let me know :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, also interested in others experiences here.

Partner and I have been scheduled for oath ceremony on Feb 14th (how romantic lol!) but there is a lot of conflicting information re: travel after the ceremony. I know we need to destroy our PR cards on that day but is it true that when they ask if you have any upcoming travel plans that you have the option to pick up the certificate rather than have it mailed? Or is that something that has changed because of COVID? We're in Toronto if that helps.

We've planned a trip to US for March 17th but I'm unsure as to whether that trip is realistically an option at this point. If anyone knows of a thread that might have better information on this please let me know :)
Are you flying or driving to the US? What citizenship do the two of you currently hold?

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Are you flying or driving to the US? What citizenship do the two of you currently hold?
Wouldn't the challenge be coming back in? Even with US citizenship, one would have to "prove" Canadian citizenship and it seems, as of today, hit and miss if you only have your certificate. (With regards to @justpeachy - I personally wouldn't risk it and cancelled my end-of-year celebrations in NYC, but I'm overly paranoid. The cert should come back /relatively/ quickly and, should you have reservations before the Oath for hotels and whatnot, that might qualify for an in-person, expedited passport application process.)

@scylla - have you heard of anyone being able to pick up their cert in person? Outside of extreme emergency corner cases, I haven't heard of any (not to say they wouldn't happen, I just think they're super rare..)

justpeachy

Feb 9, 2017
Flying and currently holding Irish citizenship but agreed with @chs, the problem would be coming back into Canada without "proof" of citizenship.

Would I be correct in saying that the real risk is here that the certificate can get lost in transit and not having it in time to even expedite the passport? And subsequently the same with the passport - getting lost/stuck in transit being the biggest risk? Just noting from the original post on this thread mentions that loss of travel expenses is not a valid reason to expedite the process but maybe that is referencing the actual application itself not the certificate or passport?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just super confusing. Can't wait to have all this immigration stuff out of the way for good! :)

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Flying and currently holding Irish citizenship but agreed with @chs, the problem would be coming back into Canada without "proof" of citizenship.

Would I be correct in saying that the real risk is here that the certificate can get lost in transit and not having it in time to even expedite the passport? And subsequently the same with the passport - getting lost/stuck in transit being the biggest risk? Just noting from the original post on this thread mentions that loss of travel expenses is not a valid reason to expedite the process but maybe that is referencing the actual application itself not the certificate or passport?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just super confusing. Can't wait to have all this immigration stuff out of the way for good! :)
If you can at all delay your trip, I would do that - it was simply too much risk for me, personally. You have correctly stated the major risks. Most people have gotten their certificates and passports within a month or so of Oath. Most. However, some have taken longer (and, in some extreme cases, much, much longer) than average and have waited well beyond the normal timeframes.

One other option is to go abroad after Oath with the intention of staying there temporarily, having the Certificate get mailed to someone in Canada who can FedEx it to you in Ireland and then you apply for the passport in Ireland. Do note that this can take upwards of several months, so you'll need to take that into account.

Good luck.

justpeachy

Feb 9, 2017
If you can at all delay your trip, I would do that - it was simply too much risk for me, personally. You have correctly stated the major risks. Most people have gotten their certificates and passports within a month or so of Oath. Most. However, some have taken longer (and, in some extreme cases, much, much longer) than average and have waited well beyond the normal timeframes.

One other option is to go abroad after Oath with the intention of staying there temporarily, having the Certificate get mailed to someone in Canada who can FedEx it to you in Ireland and then you apply for the passport in Ireland. Do note that this can take upwards of several months, so you'll need to take that into account.

Good luck.
Thank you :)

Reactions: chs

maissom

Star Member
Nov 9, 2016
Lahore, Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-05-2017
Doc's Request.
04-05-2017
AOR Received.
01-07-2017
Med's Done....
01-06-2017
Passport Req..
22-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
14-09-2017
LANDED..........
07-03-2018
Hello Folks!

We recently became citizens. Our oath was on April 27 with Niagara Falls office. After the oath we are expected to receive the Citizenship certificate between 2-4 weeks. It is May 14 today, so 2.5 weeks have already passed. Some of the Kitchener applicants (like myself) have received within a week or so.

Can anyone guide me if the citizenship application tracker shows update as to when the Citizenship certificate was dispatched? When I log into my tracker portal, I just see status as "Closed", with status "Reason: We have approved your application to become a Canadian citizen." This was updated on May 06.

My situation is a bit dicey at the moment; I need to make an urgent trip back home (My mother is ill) and this delay in certificate is putting me under a lot of anxiety. I searched around and looks like there is no way I can get any travel document after becoming a Citizen, unless I have the Citizenship certificate.

If anyone has a suggestion or advice, kindly do share. I will be much obliged.

Thanks!