+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

flagpoling for the PGWP - how early/how late should i book my bus trips?

jokepoke

Feb 27, 2020
first off, i'm a US citizen and now a graduate from a school in QC. the PGWP should be straightforward for most graduates, but i had a semester in which i did not meet the full-time requirement (at least 4 classes completed each semester) due to mental health problems, and so they can possibly deny me the PGWP. i am not legally allowed to work in canada unless/until i get the PGWP. the advisors at my school said that i should go flagpoling to a specific land border between the US and CA that is used to dealing with more complex cases with a note from my psychiatrist, a cover letter explaining why i wasn't able to go full time, and all that stuff.

they told me a week ago that they advised people to show up about 2-3 hours before it's open because so many students were just given confirmation of their graduation from Fall 2019 and are flooding the border. it's not clear to me how true this is now that we've all had this documentation for about 10 days. i'm about to book my bus, but i want to know how early/how late i should book the arrival/return bus to the border. having to do this trip twice because i wasn't early enough or i had to leave too quickly would suck. also, i'm planning on booking a bus to the US side of the border and entering canada for the application and then returning to the US side, and i'm not sure exactly how this is supposed to work.

Has anybody flagpoled within the last 10 days or so for the PGWP? do i need to get there early, and how long does it take? also, if you all have any other advice about how to improve my chances besides bringing all the relevant documentation then i would be thankful to hear it : ^ )

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Well a correction in that if you submit your PGWP application in the normal way then you are allowed to work pending a decision. See guidance here In bottom the validity section.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

Does not of course mean some employers can make up their own requirements to see a physical permit but above are the official guidelines.

Cannot advise from flagpoling experience but in general terms based on posts on the forum CBSA do not always come across as being that supportive of flagpoling given they see reviewing someones eligibility as an IRCC responsibility so when someone is in front of them they are already approved.

So for someone to say border A versus border B is more used to dealing with complex cases seems a bit of a random statement as it really can depend on the individual CBSA agent processing a case and even how busy they are performing their primary role protecting Canadas borders, not issuing permits from scratch.

Above just my personal view and not saying you should not attempt to flagpole but good luck anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: russ6970

jokepoke

Feb 27, 2020
Well a correction in that if you submit your PGWP application in the normal way then you are allowed to work pending a decision. See guidance here In bottom the validity section.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

Does not of course mean some employers can make up their own requirements to see a physical permit but above are the official guidelines.

Cannot advise from flagpoling experience but in general terms based on posts on the forum CBSA do not always come across as being that supportive of flagpoling given they see reviewing someones eligibility as an IRCC responsibility so when someone is in front of them they are already approved.

So for someone to say border A versus border B is more used to dealing with complex cases seems a bit of a random statement as it really can depend on the individual CBSA agent processing a case and even how busy they are performing their primary role protecting Canadas borders, not issuing permits from scratch.

Above just my personal view and not saying you should not attempt to flagpole but good luck anyway.
I'm pretty sure i do not qualify to work in that online applictation period because i did not meet the requirement of being full time during my entire time in school: that "They met the requirements for working off campus without a work permit under paragraph R186(v) (that is, they were a full-time student enrolled at a DLI in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program of at least 6 months in duration that led to a degree, diploma or certificate)."

the idea that border 'A' is more used to dealing with more complex cases came from my school's immigration advising office, but surely the individual reviewing my application is more important than the border crossing itself.

thanks for your thoughts!

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
If you do not qualify, you do not qualify whether you apply online or at the border. But, at least if you apply online, you will be able to work until they make a decision under implied status. If you go to the border and are refused, you need to either get a visitor visa or leave right away. I think BS65 is playing devil's advocate here.

Reactions: Bs65

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If you do not qualify, you do not qualify whether you apply online or at the border. But, at least if you apply online, you will be able to work until they make a decision under implied status. If you go to the border and are refused, you need to either get a visitor visa or leave right away. I think BS65 is playing devil's advocate here.
Was trying to make the same point in a round about way that CBSA are not IRCC so if there is any doubt about someones status or application they may well err on the side of rejection which the OP should be aware of.

At least with the apply online/paper regardless whether there is any doubt about full or part time study the OP can work full time pending a decision which could take 3/4 months, however going to the border the only 'benefit' if want to call it that would be success or rejection could be instant so the OP needs a Plan B should it be the latter.

As for a schools immigration office giving advice they are not CBSA or IRCC so they can say what they want and everyones application is unique anyway. so just because student A had a great experience obviously does not necessarily apply to student B. In general terms you could maybe say that at a quiet crossing you might get more attention but that could be it versus complex or not and of course one CBSA officer may be more clued up than another which often happens

To repeat for the OP that CBSAs primary mission is to protect Canadas borders not to prioritise processing from scratch any type of visa application so the border always comes first. Why would anyone expect anything else ?

Reactions: russ6970