abedelia

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am totally overwhelmed by this application.

About the fingerprints. I am US citizen applying in outland application, though I live in Canada on visitor record.

Can I get my fingerprints done at my local police station in Canada?

Then, I send them to the FBI, right? I downloaded their cover letter and they take almost NO information from you! What if you have changed your name or your address? How do they find you? I recently changed my name when we got married. What name do I write down? I am in the middle of changing over my documents so, my social security card is in my old name, my passport is still in my married name. I plan to have everything in my married name by the time I send my immigration application, so that is the name I'm using on all of those forms... but the FBI will have no record of me in my married name. Will it be OK if my FBI check is conducted in my old name? The FBI will also have no record of me at my new address in Canada, so what address do I use?

ALSO, do I also have to get police records from every state I have lived in for 6 months or more since turning 18? I have read this on this site, but I can't find it in the instructions. I have lived in 3 different states!!!! I want to scream!!

This is all largely irrelevant, because I don't have a criminal record, but I also don't want to do it wrong and have it get sent back or have a problem. Thanks.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
You can find information on American police records here.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Swede said:
1. You no longer (15/10/09) require state records unless requested. If they are requested here is the addresses http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/detroit/offices-bureaux/certificates-certificat.aspx?lang=eng
2. The OP should apply in her maiden name with her married name as AKA for her FBI certificate.

PMM

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

Swede said:
1. You no longer (15/10/09) require state records unless requested. If they are requested here is the addresses http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/detroit/offices-bureaux/certificates-certificat.aspx?lang=eng
2. The OP should apply in her maiden name with her married name as AKA for her FBI certificate.

PMM
Is that for all states because I looked and it only said that for Louisiana.

Now I could be mistaken so please correct me if I am wrong. Just want to make sure I do the right thing when it comes time to getting that.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ColorMePanda said:
PMM said:
Hi

Swede said:

PMM
Is that for all states because I looked and it only said that for Louisiana.

Now I could be mistaken so please correct me if I am wrong. Just want to make sure I do the right thing when it comes time to getting that.
Click on the link, it brings them all up.

PMM

CanUs

Nov 9, 2009
I've heard that the US Police Certificates via FBI processing takes 8-10 weeks... is that right?

yikes!! I was hoping to turn in my application in 3 weeks

any hopeful stories of getting Cert. back quicker?

rnbacchus

Jun 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My husband got his FBI certificate in about two and a half weeks. On the cover letter, it asks whether you have a deadline so we put a date and stated that is was for immigration purposes. There ended up being a mistake on the report (his country of birth was listed as the Netherlands, instead of Nebraska USA) so he had to have it re-done. He sent off the second request about a week and a half ago, and we are still waiting for it to come in the mail.

saralune

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-2009
Doc's Request.
11-2011
Med's Request
15-11-2011
Med's Done....
17-11-2011
Interview........
02-11-2011
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
09-12-2011, pick up friday !
CanUs said:
I've heard that the US Police Certificates via FBI processing takes 8-10 weeks... is that right?

yikes!! I was hoping to turn in my application in 3 weeks

any hopeful stories of getting Cert. back quicker?
It can take that long but from my experience and what other on here have written I'd say it is about 4 weeks or less..

kierra

Jul 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was visiting Canada at the time I sent off my FBI request. (I am a US citizen) We simply made an appointment at the Regional Police for fingerprinting. They did a scan and rolled prints. cost $30.00 We then did a cover letter and requested expedited service from FBI and it took about 2 weeks to get the clearance. By all means, use the cover letter AND write on the outside of your mailing envelope the date you want it back by for immigration purposes.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
Can one of the senior members please advise: Do you know the reasoning behind the police clearances being no older than 3 months when submitted? If there is no gap in the applicants residential information and that person hasn't lived in a particular state since they were done the first time on what basis is it that they ask for anything other than the FBI report to be redone (if the person is continuing to live state-side)? Now, in our case, I can see wanting them redone for the state my partner currently lives in as those prints are out of date, but I don't understand the need to redo for states he has not lived in, or been to, in years.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with you. I think they just don't want to take responsibility for any possible oversights, i.e., the applicant could have gone back and not reported.

I know this is somewhat counter-intuitive as you could just fail to report having been there at all, but my guess is that they are just trying to make the best of an imperfect situation and get as many guarantees as possible.

tgchi13 said:
Can one of the senior members please advise: Do you know the reasoning behind the police clearances being no older than 3 months when submitted? If there is no gap in the applicants residential information and that person hasn't lived in a particular state since they were done the first time on what basis is it that they ask for anything other than the FBI report to be redone (if the person is continuing to live state-side)? Now, in our case, I can see wanting them redone for the state my partner currently lives in as those prints are out of date, but I don't understand the need to redo for states he has not lived in, or been to, in years.