+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filipino CPAs to Canada, What are your plans?

mimi0713

Feb 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-01-2010
AOR Received.
11-03-2010
Med's Request
23-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-11-10
sigfrid--- tnx! wla kasi akong makausap dto who understands debit and credit eh, ang alam lng nila debit card and credit card ;D ;D ;D kaya d2 sa forum ko na lng buhos ang luha ko, hehe! sana nga kitakits tayo! keep in touch tayo!

vedabbys--andito ka na rin pala! akala ko don ka dumiretso sa australia eh, :D yup! i have a mobile number. PM ko sa u. how are u? may job ka na?

isarog---don't get me wrong ha, when i say pinag-aagawan tayo i mean not in a way na bigyan nila tayo work. they can only do so much. u know they just make us job ready with various workshops and all. i think padamihan sila ng candidates. ako kasi lahat ng government-funded employment agencies dito na alam ko, binisita ko or tinawagan ko esp if they have programs relevant to our profession. common requirement for bridging programs is Canadian Language Benchmark of 8 (most organizations here as far as i know do not honor IELTS result, they would refer u back to YMCA where u could take the CLB test for free). if u have CLB of 8, credentials evaluation, and at least 3 yrs exp in finance/acctng, as in very marketable ka na para sa kanila. kaya kulitin ka na doon sa kanila mag bridging, etc. kasi mas maganda daw sa kanila compared to ganito, ganyan :D :D :D pero i don't stop with my employment search with their promise. mahirap iasa lahat kay batman ang future, hehe.

meron allowance bridging programs, ang alam ko token sa subway, hehe! yung iba like ryerson wlang pera papunta sa u, the money goes to the school, aral ka lng ;)

kunin mko career counselor :D :D sige nga, subukan natin, when u succeed with my help, mag career shift na ako :p :p :p :p

vedabyys

Aug 18, 2010
Mimi, d me familiar sa mga PM d2. Inadd kita sa facebook, ako ung nida masangcay. Same as u, actively searching for job pa rin kmi.

brandonyac

Star Member
May 15, 2011
Dear all,
I passed my IELTS just today and i plan to submit my application early next week and i hope i can reach the cap under NOC 3152.
My problem is that i dont know wat the documents ill be needing to submit?
And Can i use METROBANK here in the philippines for the bankdraft for 550 CAD?
Thank you Guys and god bless u all.

maryamitzi

Aug 26, 2011
Hi All,

I've been reading all your posts and happy to know that Phil. CPAs are helping each other.
I finished the landing formalities in May'11 and just got my PR cards. But I am currently residing in Dubai.
God willing, i plan to settle in Toronto next summer.
I am a CPA (Phil. license) and I am interested to know about the CGA certification in the Philippines.

Anyone who is planning to apply? or has started their application?
Please correct me if I am wrong, this program is online, right?
so is it possible for me to go home to Phils., register and be back in Dubai again..
do my studies here and go home again only for the exams? ;D
(am i crazy? u might think! but i am serious)

pls let me know your insights.. or suggestions... :)

maryamitzi

Aug 26, 2011
Hi all,

I read this post in the net: comparing CGA vs. CMA vs. CA

I am an accountant by profession. A licensed CPA and 1 part away from being a CIA. I don't want to study anymore and it saddens me to know that I have to take up further studies to be at par with Canadian Accountants. I am seriously considering this though for the sake of my children's future...after doing tons of research, I cam accross this great article below. I am re-posting it so that I can always read it and help me decide.

For now my Verdict is still UNDECIDED

The three musketeers.

I won't turn this into a bashing contest. Most CA's I talk to seem to have a superiority complex.

This is what any CA will tell you...CA>CMA>CGA

I will just give you a very, very brief breakdown about how to get each designation. You can easily do a google search if you want something more detailed.

To get a CA, you need to do your undergraduate in accounting in one of the CA approved institutions. Then, unless you come from Waterloo, you have the CKE and SOA. Everyone is required to write the challenging 3 day UFE and pass which marks the end of the formal education. You'll also be required to complete 3 years of training at a designated firm. Of those 3 years, you must have a certain number of hours in each field such as audit, tax, etc.

To get a CMA, you need to do your undergraduate consisting of the CMA required topics (this is a Bcomm for most people). Then you have to pass the CMA entrance examination and go through the strategic leadership program. In the strategic leadership program you will need to pass the case and group project. You will also need to have the work experience.

For a CGA, you will need an undergraduate in any field. There are about 2 years worth of CGA courses that you must take through correspondence. There is an extrance exam and usually 2-3 years of work experience.

Note there are exceptions to the exact requirements of each designation. But again, I won't waste your time with that. This information is easily found on google.

Today, I want to talk a little bit about the pros and cons of each designation.

Now the first thing, any CA seems to tell you is that CA> all. Is this necessarily true?

CA
Pros:
Out of the three designations, the CA is the most internationally recognized. The CFA which I will talk about in future posts is actually an even better international designation. But compared to the CMA or CGA, the CA is more internationally recognized and respected. There is no arguing here.

So if you are planing to work internationally, the CA will bring you more benefits than the other two. +1 point for the CA designation.

The CA designation also won't close down any doors for you in the corporate ladder. You can basically do everything the other two designations can do, and things like "signing off" which they cannot do. People at top heavy positions in companies also tend to be CA's which is why they want to continue to hire CA's.

Employers also like hiring CA's so much because they understand the training process. CGA's and CMA's can get their designation in a variety of ways. For CA's, 90% of the time, they did their articling experience in public accounting and prospective employers know that they can handle the pain of long hours when crunch time comes.

Think about it like this. CA's or CGA's may be better or worse trained than CA's. With a CA, you know what to expect especially Big 4 CA's. Sometimes prospective employers just need someone who can get the job done, and avoid gambling looking for a "diamond in the rough."

On average, CA's also tend to be paid more than CMA's and CGA's.

Cons:
The major con of the CA designation is the time investment and torture you must go through to get it.

Also the fact that the CA designation is very narrow and focused in terms of what you do to acquire it. You do have a competitive edge over CMA's and CGA's in "some" areas, but not ALL. We are only talking about the top top level positions.

You get paid more than the CGA or CMA but you will pay your dues with much longer hours.

CGA
Pro:
For a CGA designation, it is the easiest to get out of the three designations. On a cost benefit analysis, the additional boost in money you get compared to the time investment is very nice. If you have no interest in climbing the corporate public ladder, I highly recommend the CGA. It is a nice credibility booster. For example, if you start your own business, and you're attracting clients, the CGA is very nice. The work experience is also very broad. There are many different ways to fulfill this requirement as opposed to something like the CA for example

You are also allowed to audit in some provinces.

Cons:
It is not as well respected as the other designations. Among the accounting world, CA's and CMA's tend to look down at CGA's. If you planning on climbing the corporate ladder, the CGA will put you in a less favourable light compared to a CA or CMA.

It is also the lowest compensated of the three designations.

CMA
Pros:
A nice balance of two other designations. Not quite as hard as the CA designation. Much more respected than the CGA designation. You don't have to go through the CA articling "hell". Many people in top positions hold the CMA Designations. I like to think of the CMA's as the jack of all trades.

You get to work directly in industry and get much more interesting work. You are not specialized in accounting and auditing, but you understand enough about what needs to be done.

Cons:
You can't sign off on audits. There are certain jobs that do require a CA, and you may be turned down for some positions in favour of a CA. For example, items like audit or tax, a CA will be more prefered to than a CMA.

Conclusion

If I were able to choose a free designation, I would pick the CA designation.

However, life is about opportunity costs. There is no point having a truck license if you only ever intend to drive a car. It is pointless to have a CA designation if all you need is a CGA designation or CMA Designation, or no designation at all. CA designation is the more respected and higher paid "on an average basis" but they also work longer hours and go through much harder material.

So, I will conclude by saying:

CGA: Very much acheivable. Any professional designation will give you a boost over the guy with just an undergraduate. On a cost-benefit analysis, I would highly recommend this designation if you haven't started any other designations. It is much more easier than the other designations. This is also for people who already finished university or are looking at changing fields. If you are just starting your university, I recommend one of the other two designations.
Advice: Ignore the CGA bashers most likely coming from CA students, or CA's. They hate their lives.

CMA: A very nice Jack of all trades designation. I like to think of this as an mini-MBA. You understand enough about industry to manage and do some damage. Highly respected, and you don't have to go through CA articling hell. If you know public accounting is not for you, consider this your choice if your just starting university.

Advice: Ignore the CMA bashers also likely coming from CA students, or CA's. They hate their lives.

CA: The "God" of the accounting designations. Be prepared to work extremely hard getting the designation. After you get it, the world is yours. Not really. You are more respected than CMA's and CGA's in many areas. Your average salary will also be higher. You can continue the CA superiority complex with your newly minted CA's and laugh at the CA's and CMA's.
Advice: Don't bash CMA's and CGA's cause you hate your life.
Unqoute

charlie5

Star Member
Apr 23, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb, 2010
Passport Req..
Nov, 2010; Submitted Dec 1 2010
hi everyone! it's been a very long time since i last visited this thread. My family and I just landed in Toronto last Saturday (Aug 27) and been busy with lots of paper works (SIN, bank and school hunting). I have finally decided to become a CGA and received CGA's assessment right before we left Manila. Out of the 14 subjects I requested for exemption, I was approved for 11. Pero since kadarating ko pa lang dito, I don't know where to start.

I am blogging my experiences and I think Maryamitzi found my blog site.
Feel free to visit, I have 1 label for "Accounting Profession"
http://iliveiconquer.blogspot.com/search/label/Accounting%20Profession

maryamitzi

Aug 26, 2011
Hi Charlie5
that's your blog site? it's very helpful..
well, i am interested in the CGA program. I am PR of Canada but currently residing in Dubai.
I plan to move to Toronto in March 2012, and I want to enroll in the CGA program.
COuld you please tell me your opinion?
CGA-Canada starts their program in Philippines and i found out that the requirements are easier to meet. :)
there are only 5 courses I need to take...
u got exemption for 11 of 14 subjects, meaning u will have 3 subjects only??? wow!!
Is it advisable for me to take the certification in Philippines or in Canada? ???

Please advise..

Thanks..

maryamitzi

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
mimi0713 said:
BZ mom, pwede pa yan balikan profession mo, hehe. i'm amazed at how continuing education is valued here in canada. meron ako classmate sa computer school, he's like 75+ y/o studying computer basics kasi gsto nya daw learn facebook :D :D, dami mga senior citizen doon. so i'm inspired to study kasi di ako ang pinakamatanda, hehe.
Hi Mimi! Actually, I'm still practicing my accounting profession. I am working for a US CPA firm. I am doing it online, as I have moved to Calgary. I stayed in the US and worked for this CPA firm for 4 years, did not get a green card as I don't want to wait for too long and it's quite expensive, so I decided to apply for the AINP and got approved in 8 months. Interested din ako na magkaroon ng designation, although I have not decided yet kung CGA, CMA or CA at saka wala pa akong time 'coz I work full time. Marami nga ditong government-funded programs kaso nga lang full-time, di ko pwede i-give up ang work ko... sole breadwinner ako sa ngayon as my husband is still unemployed and is on a full-time training program. Kaya nga I admire you for giving up the job opportunity to attend the training programs.
Anyway, saan ka dito sa Canada?

mimi0713

Feb 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-01-2010
AOR Received.
11-03-2010
Med's Request
23-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-11-10
charlie5 said:
hi everyone! it's been a very long time since i last visited this thread. My family and I just landed in Toronto last Saturday (Aug 27) and been busy with lots of paper works (SIN, bank and school hunting). I have finally decided to become a CGA and received CGA's assessment right before we left Manila. Out of the 14 subjects I requested for exemption, I was approved for 11. Pero since kadarating ko pa lang dito, I don't know where to start.

I am blogging my experiences and I think Maryamitzi found my blog site.
Feel free to visit, I have 1 label for "Accounting Profession"
http://iliveiconquer.blogspot.com/search/label/Accounting%20Profession
hi charlie5,

that's great! would be nice to meet you. nagkita na kami ni vedabyss..classmate kami sa ryerson...

mimi0713

Feb 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-01-2010
AOR Received.
11-03-2010
Med's Request
23-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-11-10
BZ Mom said:
Hi Mimi! Actually, I'm still practicing my accounting profession. I am working for a US CPA firm. I am doing it online, as I have moved to Calgary. I stayed in the US and worked for this CPA firm for 4 years, did not get a green card as I don't want to wait for too long and it's quite expensive, so I decided to apply for the AINP and got approved in 8 months. Interested din ako na magkaroon ng designation, although I have not decided yet kung CGA, CMA or CA at saka wala pa akong time 'coz I work full time. Marami nga ditong government-funded programs kaso nga lang full-time, di ko pwede i-give up ang work ko... sole breadwinner ako sa ngayon as my husband is still unemployed and is on a full-time training program. Kaya nga I admire you for giving up the job opportunity to attend the training programs.
Anyway, saan ka dito sa Canada?
dito ako sa toronto BZmom. baka gusto mo na rin USCPA na designation :) :) may reciprocity yata sila dito. I am now a CA student, planning to sit for the SOA and hopefully, the UFE next year, God willing.

charlie5

Star Member
Apr 23, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb, 2010
Passport Req..
mimi0713 said:
hi charlie5,

that's great! would be nice to meet you. nagkita na kami ni vedabyss..classmate kami sa ryerson...
Hi mimi - CA na tinuloy mo? madami ba nacredit sayo?

mimi0713

Feb 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-01-2010
AOR Received.
11-03-2010
Med's Request
23-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-11-10
charlie5 said:
Hi mimi - CA na tinuloy mo? madami ba nacredit sayo?
business law course na lng kulang then pwede na ako take ng exams for CA next year. may CGA networking event this coming thursday. are u interested?

isarog

Feb 23, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mimi0713 said:
business law course na lng kulang then pwede na ako take ng exams for CA next year. may CGA networking event this coming thursday. are u interested?
Wow CA route. Hmmmm.... ;D :D ??? :p

Pwede bang gumaya?! (Gaya-gaya puto maya...) :p :p ;D

Kakapagod lang talagang magpa-assess. After ng WES and CGA. Gastos na naman? Pero still contemplating...Maybe dyan ko na lang simulan ang assessmment for CA.

charlie5

Star Member
Apr 23, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb, 2010
Passport Req..
mimi0713 said:
Hi Mimi - yes, san yung CGA Networking event? gusto ko sana sumama

mimi0713

Feb 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-01-2010
AOR Received.
11-03-2010
Med's Request
23-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-11-10
charlie5 said:
Hi Mimi - yes, san yung CGA Networking event? gusto ko sana sumama
sa finch. pls PM me your e-mail send ko flyer sa u.