+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

File Requirements Checklist - Reasons for a Residence Questionnaire!

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Below a FRC as per CIC operational policy from last year...obtained via an ATIP request by a user on an another immigration forum (kudos to him) detailing the processing at Sidney and the local Office. For those who got RQ check the Triage Criteria/Risk Indicators and see if they apply.

FILE REQUIREMENTS CHECKLIST

=>PART A (to be completed at the case processing center, Sydney):

COMPLETENESS (checklist)

- All relevants sections of the application form have been completed

- Application(s) signed and dated

- Includes Residence Calculation

- Immigration document(s) have been included

- Two pieces of personal identification, one with photo on it have been included

- Original translations have been included (if applicable)

- Two citizenship photos have been included as prescribed

- Payment has been included for all applicants

- Basic residence has been met (applicant has 1095 days)

- Parentage has been established for all minor applicants

- Requested that we proceed with incomplete application

TRIAGE CRITERIA / RISK INDICATORS

- Applicant Characteristics:

A1 - Use of a suspect residential address.

A2 - NCB in FOSS, Warning or Note(s) in GCMS indicating a concern.

A3 - Previous citizenship applications which were not approved, withdrawn, abandoned, renounced or revoked.

A4 - Discrepancy in absences between citizenship application and CIC information during the relevant 4 years period.

A5 - Self-identified as a consultant, self-employed or unemployed, with any travel during the relevant 4 year period.

A6 - Absences to home country to sell land/property or to take care of ill family member during the relevant 4 year period.

A7 - Applicant has self declared having less than 1095 days of physical presence.

- Family Characteristics:

B1 - Child born outside Canada during the relevant 4 year period.

B2 - A child has made a non-concurrent minor application.

- Documents

C1 - ID (provided in support of application) has been issued within 3 months of date of application.

C2 - Inconsistency between address on ID and address on application form.

C3 - Photograph and/or signature on the application do not resemble photograph and/or signature on identity document.

C4 - NPR time (non permanent resident time) has been used in the calculation of basic residence and the original entry data used does not appear on the IMM 1000, the Confirmation of Permanent Residence or in CIC records.

=> PART B (to be completed by local office)

REQUIRED: PRE INTERVIEW VERIFICATION

- All follow-ups completed on applicable CPC Sydney triage criteria

- Checked GCM/FOSS before interview

- Applicant is prohibited

- Residence questionnaire on file

- Applicant has used a suspect residential address after application submission

- Discrepancy in absences between citizenship application and responses to questions on the RQ and/or CIC records

- Discrepancy in addresses listed on citizenship application and those on the RQ and/or CIC records

- Self-identified as a consultant, self-employed or unemployed with any travel during the relevant 4 year period

INTERVIEW
- Identification: Original of 2 IDs submitted with application have been verified (including 1 photo ID)

- Immigration documents originals verified (IMM 1000/5292/5509/5686 and PR Card)

- Signature verified

- Biopage/Renewal page of passport/Travel document provided

- Passports/Travel documents relevant to entire 4 year period

- Passport/Travel documents verified against absences declared on application or RQ (if applicable)

- Work/Education discussed

- Prohibitions declared at interview

- Residence QUestionnaire given at interview with CIC official

- Language (choose one): Satisfactory, Waived, Hearing

- Special Remarks/Explanations/Concerns/or Follow-ups to items from Part A

AFTER INTERVIEW: BEFORE DECISION

- Special remarks/Explanations/Concerns

AFTER DECISION: BEFORE CEREMONY

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Thanks! This is most illuminating.

I wonder what C4 means though...

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Swede said:
Thanks! This is most illuminating.

I wonder what C4 means though...
You can use up to 1 year of non PR time (credit of a half day/ each day of non PR) to meet the 1095 days of basic residence.

For example if you arrived in Canada as student on January 1st, 2009 then got PR on January 1st 2011. Normally you would apply for citizenship on January 2, 2014 but as you get a credit of 1 year from the 2 years of student/non PR time you can apply for citizenship on January 2, 2013. It does seem strange though for CIC not to have these records..its not like the lack of passport stamping issue that many travellers experience.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Msafiri said:
You can use up to 1 year of non PR time (credit of a half day/ each day of non PR) to meet the 1095 days of basic residence.

For example if you arrived in Canada as student on January 1st, 2009 then got PR on January 1st 2011. Normally you would apply for citizenship on January 2, 2014 but as you get a credit of 1 year from the 2 years of student/non PR time you can apply for citizenship on January 2, 2013. It does seem strange though for CIC not to have these records..its not like the lack of passport stamping issue that many travellers experience.
I got that part, but what confuses me is the stuff about "original entry data" - there's nothing about that in my papers that I can think about. Unless they cross reference with my PR application.

And I've found nothing about you only being able to use 1 year of non-PR time when calculating physical presence. Source?
I used the online residence calculator and I passed...

Oh well, citizenship 2018 here we come... ::)

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Swede said:
I got that part, but what confuses me is the stuff about "original entry data" - there's nothing about that in my papers that I can think about. Unless they cross reference with my PR application.

And I've found nothing about you only being able to use 1 year of non-PR time when calculating physical presence. Source?
I used the online residence calculator and I passed...

Oh well, citizenship 2018 here we come... ::)
Citizenship Act:

5. (1) The Minister shall grant citizenship to any person who

(a) makes application for citizenship;

(b) is eighteen years of age or over;

(c) is a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and has, within the four years immediately preceding the date of his or her application, accumulated at least three years of residence in Canada calculated in the following manner:

(i) for every day during which the person was resident in Canada before his lawful admission to Canada for permanent residence the person shall be deemed to have accumulated one-half of a day of residence, and

(ii) for every day during which the person was resident in Canada after his lawful admission to Canada for permanent residence the person shall be deemed to have accumulated one day of residence;

(d) has an adequate knowledge of one of the official languages of Canada;

(e) has an adequate knowledge of Canada and of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship; and

(f) is not under a removal order and is not the subject of a declaration by the Governor in Council made pursuant to section 20.

As per bold text by default if you need 3 years of residence for citizenship and you get half a credit for non PR time then the most credit you can get is 1 year...unless my math is wrong and you get a different number?

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Msafiri said:
Citizenship Act:

5. (1) The Minister shall grant citizenship to any person who

(a) makes application for citizenship;

(b) is eighteen years of age or over;

(c) is a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and has, within the four years immediately preceding the date of his or her application, accumulated at least three years of residence in Canada calculated in the following manner:

(i) for every day during which the person was resident in Canada before his lawful admission to Canada for permanent residence the person shall be deemed to have accumulated one-half of a day of residence, and

(ii) for every day during which the person was resident in Canada after his lawful admission to Canada for permanent residence the person shall be deemed to have accumulated one day of residence;

(d) has an adequate knowledge of one of the official languages of Canada;

(e) has an adequate knowledge of Canada and of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship; and

(f) is not under a removal order and is not the subject of a declaration by the Governor in Council made pursuant to section 20.

As per bold text by default if you need 3 years of residence and you get half a credit for non PR time then the most you can get is 1 year...unless my math is wrong and you get a different number?
I know that, I just misunderstood what you meant. I know that you need 2 years of physical presence as a PR and that any additional presence counts for half. Thanks for clarifying though...

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Swede said:
I know that, I just misunderstood what you meant. I know that you need 2 years of physical presence as a PR and that any additional presence counts for half. Thanks for clarifying though...
Sure thing.

Intel

Star Member
Jun 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
2005-09
Med's Request
2009-08
Med's Done....
2009-10
Passport Req..
2010-05
VISA ISSUED...
2010-06
LANDED..........
2010-07
Msafiri said:

If the client ID is different for the study permit than for PR (especially in case where PR applicant was applying before coming to Canada as student), then CIC might not find records of NPR time using the PR client ID.

SA Mouse

Feb 12, 2013
Oh, Jeez. So, I was unemployed for a few months during the four years and indicated that on my application. That means I'll probably get RQed?

I've been here since 2005 and just applied for citizenship in January 2012. I desperately hope that this doesn't mean that I'll have to wait another four years. (My application status has recently changed to "in process")

Wow, this is heartbreaking.

SA Mouse

Feb 12, 2013
I just redid my residency calculation assuming that my unemployed months were spent out of the country (they weren't), and I would still qualify easily. I really hope they take a reasonable approach to this and don't send me an RQ and add four years to my wait.

YHZ

Sep 7, 2011
Do you have the ATIP Request Number please? I can't find the Request Number on the CIC website to obtain a copy of the release.
Thank you in advance.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
YHZ said:
Do you have the ATIP Request Number please? I can't find the Request Number on the CIC website to obtain a copy of the release.
Thank you in advance.
It was first released on another forum as a part of ATIP response for a request made concerning a member's case. It was not a mere ATI request, and these checklists were previously screened from ATI releases when OB 407 was acquired.

immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19&PID=183667&title=rq-discussions#183667
immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19&PID=183724&title=rq-discussions#183724

TanTan

Feb 24, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
Below a FRC as per CIC operational policy from last year...obtained via an ATIP request by a user on an another immigration forum (kudos to him) detailing the processing at Sidney and the local Office. For those who got RQ check the Triage Criteria/Risk Indicators and see if they apply.

FILE REQUIREMENTS CHECKLIST

=>PART A (to be completed at the case processing center, Sydney):

COMPLETENESS (checklist)

- All relevants sections of the application form have been completed

- Application(s) signed and dated

- Includes Residence Calculation

- Immigration document(s) have been included

- Two pieces of personal identification, one with photo on it have been included

- Original translations have been included (if applicable)

- Two citizenship photos have been included as prescribed

- Payment has been included for all applicants

- Basic residence has been met (applicant has 1095 days)

- Parentage has been established for all minor applicants

- Requested that we proceed with incomplete application

TRIAGE CRITERIA / RISK INDICATORS

- Applicant Characteristics:

A1 - Use of a suspect residential address.

A2 - NCB in FOSS, Warning or Note(s) in GCMS indicating a concern.

A3 - Previous citizenship applications which were not approved, withdrawn, abandoned, renounced or revoked.

A4 - Discrepancy in absences between citizenship application and CIC information during the relevant 4 years period.

A5 - Self-identified as a consultant, self-employed or unemployed, with any travel during the relevant 4 year period.

A6 - Absences to home country to sell land/property or to take care of ill family member during the relevant 4 year period.

A7 - Applicant has self declared having less than 1095 days of physical presence.

- Family Characteristics:

B1 - Child born outside Canada during the relevant 4 year period.

B2 - A child has made a non-concurrent minor application.

- Documents

C1 - ID (provided in support of application) has been issued within 3 months of date of application.

C2 - Inconsistency between address on ID and address on application form.

C3 - Photograph and/or signature on the application do not resemble photograph and/or signature on identity document.

C4 - NPR time (non permanent resident time) has been used in the calculation of basic residence and the original entry data used does not appear on the IMM 1000, the Confirmation of Permanent Residence or in CIC records.

=> PART B (to be completed by local office)

REQUIRED: PRE INTERVIEW VERIFICATION

- All follow-ups completed on applicable CPC Sydney triage criteria

- Checked GCM/FOSS before interview

- Applicant is prohibited

- Residence questionnaire on file

- Applicant has used a suspect residential address after application submission

- Discrepancy in absences between citizenship application and responses to questions on the RQ and/or CIC records

- Discrepancy in addresses listed on citizenship application and those on the RQ and/or CIC records

- Self-identified as a consultant, self-employed or unemployed with any travel during the relevant 4 year period

INTERVIEW
- Identification: Original of 2 IDs submitted with application have been verified (including 1 photo ID)

- Immigration documents originals verified (IMM 1000/5292/5509/5686 and PR Card)

- Signature verified

- Biopage/Renewal page of passport/Travel document provided

- Passports/Travel documents relevant to entire 4 year period

- Passport/Travel documents verified against absences declared on application or RQ (if applicable)

- Work/Education discussed

- Prohibitions declared at interview

- Residence QUestionnaire given at interview with CIC official

- Language (choose one): Satisfactory, Waived, Hearing

- Special Remarks/Explanations/Concerns/or Follow-ups to items from Part A

AFTER INTERVIEW: BEFORE DECISION

AFTER DECISION: BEFORE CEREMONY

Thais is very informative, Thanks.