+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FBI Clearance in US

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rcosing said:
I have a question regarding FBI clearance. I visited the United States sometime in 2003, got an FBI clearance around 2004. I haven't been to the US after that. Is my 2004 FBI clearance still valid today?
No. Police clearances must be issued within the 3 months prior to the CIO application date

rcosing

May 5, 2010
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct. 2004
AOR Received.
Feb. 2005
Med's Request
Aug. 2010
Med's Done....
Sep. 31, 2010
Passport Req..
Oct. 5, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Oct.18,2010
OhCanadiana said:
No. Police clearances must be issued within the 3 months prior to the CIO application date
Thanks

Is Police Clearance and FBI clearance the same?

By the way we have already applied. My wife applied last 2004 when we were not yet married. We updated our documents to include me and our daughters this year. Now the Visa office is asking for my FBI clearance.

Regards

upp942

May 27, 2010
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo >> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-May-2010
Doc's Request.
01-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
23-May-2011
IELTS Request
submitted with initial application
Med's Request
02-May-2012 (post mark)
Med's Done....
24-May-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01-Nov-12
VISA ISSUED...
14-Nov-12
rcosing said:
Thanks

By the way we have already applied. My wife applied last 2004 when we were not yet married. We updated our documents to include me and our daughters this year. Now the Visa office is asking for my FBI clearance.

Regards
No, they're not the same. Police clearances deal with the local level - ex. state of california and FBI clearances deal with the national level - ex. country of USA. Usually, they only ask for the FBI clearance. In order to save time, some people get both just in case they ask for it.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rcosing said:
Thanks

Regards
Yes, when the CIC refers to Police Certificates for the US they mean FBI Identification Records.

The confusion may stem from variation in terminology used. The CIC refers to background checks with your criminal background from countries you have lived in as "police certificates." You can see from the instructions on how to get "Police Certificates" for any country at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp. You'll note there that for the US "Police Certificate" translates to an FBI Identification Record in FBI-speak.

All this is a terminology mouthful perhaps, but the point is yes...you need to get an FBI Identification Record in FBI terminology. To get it, follow the instructions at http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
OhCanadiana said:
Note that as of today, CIC has issued new instructions (new instruction guide, new OP 6). The relevant change is that PCCs cannot be older than 3 months from the date of submission to the local visa office, not the CIO.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
Note that as of today, CIC has issued new instructions (new instruction guide, new OP 6). The relevant change is that PCCs cannot be older than 3 months from the date of submission to the local visa office, not the CIO.
What's the difference between local visa office and CIO?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
sogwap said:
What's the difference between local visa office and CIO?
CIO = Central Intake Office, Sydney Nova Scotia - where you first submit the application. If approved, you submit your application to a Local Visa Office -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled-mission.asp

steve81

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15- 10- 2009
Doc's Request.
21-12-2009
AOR Received.
14-4-2010
IELTS Request
7.5(academic)
File Transfer...
30-12-2009
Med's Request
waitin
Med's Done....
waitin
Interview........
waitin
Passport Req..
waitin
hey guys

I been in US almost two years , because this FBI clearance I lost 6 months of my life.

They took two months to send me full documents, after that they send me wrong a FBI clearance with wrong spellings.

so they took 3 three months in total.

Now, I am thinking I should have never gone to that crazy country.

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maira22 said:
Have you heard anything back from the FBI?

I am in the sameboat and haven't received anything them from yet.

What have they been telling you
Hey maira,
I responded to your message, however, here is what I got from the server: "PM could not be sent to 'maira22' as their inbox is full!".
Cheers,

Retrograde

Aug 15, 2010
help!!!

i am a temporary resident in NY but have stayed for over 6 months, need to apply for FBI clearance, need some clarification:

1. On the FBI site they said they in case of family all applicants should sign the form, this means that in my case there will be 2 forms, one for myself and other for wife and duly signed, right???

2. I have Social Security Number but wife does'nt. Can i send her form without SSN number?

3. Also is it better to get the local state police clearance as well?

navali

May 23, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Can anyone on this forum who applied for FBI Clearance guide about time lines for shipment of the letter from FBI to another country from US? How many days it take normally to reach the letter to you once it is posted by FBI by regular First Calss Mail ?

Retrograde

Aug 15, 2010
Hey all, i need some help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am temporary resident in New York, USA. I arrived here on Nov 27, 2009 and will return to my home country (Pakistan) on Nov 23, 2010. Since I need the FBI clearance for the Canadiam Immigration, I am thinking of applying for the NY State police clearance as well in case they ask for it.

When should I apply?, on the last date of my stay in New York (i.e Nov 23, 2010) or I should apply after going back to Pakistan so that all the time period is covered in the certificate????????

Dreamerchasingreality

Aug 19, 2010
hello !!
I was in d US for 1 1/2 yr and am applying for d FBI PCC ...I have d fbi fingerprints wid me but the fbi is asking for a return mail option which needs to be prepaid or a first class mail ...i m in India and on an individual basis d fed ex doesnt allow a fed ex account number and have a negative response frm d Indian post office saying a return mail wid indian stamp is of no value in d US post ....i m sure thr has been someone who has been thru wat i m goin rite now .....plzzz help coz i m confused and short on time rite now ....wud greatly appreciate any help in this regard ...thanking u in anticipation ......

navali

May 23, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dreamerchasingreality said:
hello !!
I was in d US for 1 1/2 yr and am applying for d FBI PCC ...I have d fbi fingerprints wid me but the fbi is asking for a return mail option which needs to be prepaid or a first class mail ...i m in India and on an individual basis d fed ex doesnt allow a fed ex account number and have a negative response frm d Indian post office saying a return mail wid indian stamp is of no value in d US post ....i m sure thr has been someone who has been thru wat i m goin rite now .....plzzz help coz i m confused and short on time rite now ....wud greatly appreciate any help in this regard ...thanking u in anticipation ......
no need to worry. I was under the same situation. So I just chose "First Class Mail" and it works fine. As there is no other option. I verified from FBI as well. They have sent my letter by using First Class mail yesterday.