uerceg

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Hello there,

I am one of those stuck on CRS score which will not come even close to cutoff score anytime soon. I applied and pretty much stated all my family members who would come with me. However, if I would apply as a single applicant, score would get boosted to being one digit behind current cutoff score which at least gives some glimpse of hope.

If ITA would be obtained in that case, I would be the only one coming to CA at the beginning. Question I have is: Assuming that scenario, what are the conditions which need to be met so that rest of my family is also able to come to CA (not on tourist visa, but to reside in CA)?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
I'm assuming by family you mean spouse and dependent children. You can declare them as non-accompanying. As long as they still undergo medical and police checks at the time of your PR application, you can sponsor them later. However, be very careful as if you do not properly declare them and have them examined when you apply for PR, they will never be allowed to come to Canada.

uerceg

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Amazing, thank you for your reply. I guess with this approach I am just trying to increase chances to get PR and even if I would get it, I would probably be the only one going to CA at the beginning once I find a job (to settle and do some basic newcomers stuff).

I understand that I need to mention them during process and that is fully understandable - my goal is not really to try to bypass any rule. Only thing I wonder is if I already come alone and get my PR - is there some time limit and/or additional rules before I can actually apply to sponsor wife and kids to come to Canada? Not sure what those might be, but in my mind something like: I need to live there X months prior to sponsoring them, need to have a job where I earn more than some sponsorship threshold for sponsoring family of certain size, etc?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Amazing, thank you for your reply. I guess with this approach I am just trying to increase chances to get PR and even if I would get it, I would probably be the only one going to CA at the beginning once I find a job (to settle and do some basic newcomers stuff).

I understand that I need to mention them during process and that is fully understandable - my goal is not really to try to bypass any rule. Only thing I wonder is if I already come alone and get my PR - is there some time limit and/or additional rules before I can actually apply to sponsor wife and kids to come to Canada? Not sure what those might be, but in my mind something like: I need to live there X months prior to sponsoring them, need to have a job where I earn more than some sponsorship threshold for sponsoring family of certain size, etc?
You can sponsor them immediately after becoming a PR. There is no minimum income requirements however you cannot be on social assistance. Note that you must be in Canada at the time you submit the sponsorship application and must continue living in Canada while the application is processed.

uerceg

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Thanks for the answers, super useful!

One more question in case you guys know the answer. I know that currently everything is kinda skewed and weird due to virus situation, but how long does processing of that kind of request take? If there is any info about average waiting time before / during Coronavirus, would be great to hear.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the answers, super useful!

One more question in case you guys know the answer. I know that currently everything is kinda skewed and weird due to virus situation, but how long does processing of that kind of request take? If there is any info about average waiting time before / during Coronavirus, would be great to hear.
Sponsorship generally took 12 months pre-COVID-19. Everything is slower now. Hard to guess how long but I would plan on 16 months.

uerceg

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Gotcha, thanks! And just to try to dig a bit deeper into the rules - when saying that I need to submit request from Canada and be there until case is resolved, does it literally mean absolute restriction for me to leave Canada or can I still leave for a certain period of time (and if yes, for how long)?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Gotcha, thanks! And just to try to dig a bit deeper into the rules - when saying that I need to submit request from Canada and be there until case is resolved, does it literally mean absolute restriction for me to leave Canada or can I still leave for a certain period of time (and if yes, for how long)?
Short trips (e.g. 3 weeks) are OK but you shouldn't do them too often or you'll risk having the application refused. As a PR, it is mandatory that you be living in Canada to qualify to sponsor your family.