+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Class Application now over the posted 7 months wait

LCS

May 5, 2005
I am a Canadia born Citizen, and began our Family Class Immigration application last year. I was approved for quailified sponsorship ability, and our application was sent to the Canadian Embassy in Lima Peru and began processing on September 26, 2006. The longest posted time frame for family class is 80% of all cases completed in 7 months, and that was on April 26, 2007.
I wrote to the Canadian Embassy in Lima on April 27, 2007 and still have not received an answer. My husband's interview was on November 30, 2006 and I was there in Lima and accompanied him to the office for that. The e-Client website has not been updated and still shows the interview "will take place" on November 30, 2006.
Ours is about the most simple case there is to process ...no ex-spouse, no children, no child support contingency, no other family members to bring, no problems with the law, no medical problems etc. And it has STILL taken the full time period posted with no answer in their own specified time frame. The only other information requested was further details on my husbands military service which was served in the communications sector, no active field duty. He hand delivered the forms back to them the very next day.
Any one have any news on whether Immigration is taking even longer in general than their own posted time frames and why?

thank you for any info. you can provide.

TTT

May 2, 2007
Hello,

From what I have seen its taking roughly about 1 year average... I am sponsoring my husband from Sri Lanka... and I am finding the same thing ... its past the posted time... I spoke to an MP and he said that they could not touch the case until the average one year has past... I think that the average is an year ... so join the rest of us in the Canadian Sponsorship waiting game... I know its hard to be seperated from your husband ... I have been seperated from him for about one year and half... and I cant even go see him... current situations in Sri Lanka wont allow it ... (Civil War)... so hope and pray everything turns out ok...

LCS

May 5, 2005
Thanks for your post with your experience.
I absolutely can not @*^(^&#$% believe that it's taking that long!!!!!!!!!?????????? Why do they even post the time frames on the websites?????????????
Seems like they are too busy fast tracking temporary workers to fill the worker shortages, and those volumes leave us family class people waiting with the anxiety and financial burden of living apart. Or better yet, why not apply as a gypsy refugee and be allowed into the country to then go on a shoplifting crime spree here. The Government has their heads planted so firmly I can't even believe it.
I had the idea at one point, and now believe I should have done it, to post the bond to have him come here as a visitor, and pay for the return flight and then start the application here- forfeit the bond and flight, and then just return to accept the landed immigrant card when it was ready. This waiting has cost me 20 times more than that to this point.
If my husband knew that it may take an additional 4 1/2 months he would die. I know it's the waiting game. This has been harder on him than me.

TTT

May 2, 2007
Hello again,

Let me tell you that I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND... Its has been hard on my husband too... it looks like you are in the same timeframe as me ... as far as i understood it would take you far longer to get a PR if you do it in-Canada but I may be wrong.... and the struggle is really bad from reading from all the websites ... i have been doing a lot of reading... is it possible to share with me your timeline and from where you are sponsoring from... here is mine ...

We received your application to sponsor on July 7, 2006.

We started processing your application on August 16, 2006.

We sent you a letter on August 16, 2006 about the decision on your application.

We started processing application on August 28, 2006.

1st - Interview is November 28, 2006.

2nd - Interview is March 21, 2007.

Current Status - IN PROCESS

Hope this helps...

LCS

May 5, 2005
Well, to me it seems like they have processed us slightly quicker... until now. From the start date of processing our Permanent Residence application on September 26, 2006, we had the interview on November 30, 2006. There was never any indication there was going to be a second interview......yet. Like you, the online services website still says In Process.
They were exactly on course with the estimated time to process sponsorship here in Canada. They were also quite quick with calling him for his November 30th interview. I had some faith in the process at that point. Previously, as each month passed and the percentage of processed cases got higher, we thought for sure we'd be under the 7 months maximum to process us. But now that the entire published 7 months time has passed, and our case having no complications, I feel like we're in Immigration limbo with no news, and the Government having no accountability to their published processes.
I am Canadian born, I am sponsoring from here and we are waiting on the Canadian Embassy in Lima Peru for our application to be processed. The Canadian Embassy website for Peru says they have processed 80% of applications in 6 months. On the main Immigration Canada website, they say 80% in 7 months. A contradiction in itself, like most things with the Government.
The only indication they have had a second look at our file is where I mentioned that he was asked for more details (in February) on his non-combat military services. He hand delivered that to them the next day. For anyone in the private sector processing info. like that in our jobs...a few days. With the Government.....add a month I suppose. Perhaps they really are trying to communicate with the individuals listed on the info., who knows how long that could take. The immigration lawyer I had been dealing with has been great, and she thought Lima was 'pretty good' at getting back to people. I wrote 2 weeks ago, and not even a courteous reply that any individual had been in receipt my enquiry.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

LCS said:
Well, to me it seems like they have processed us slightly quicker... until now. From the start date of processing our Permanent Residence application on September 26, 2006, we had the interview on November 30, 2006. There was never any indication there was going to be a second interview......yet. Like you, the online services website still says In Process.
They were exactly on course with the estimated time to process sponsorship here in Canada. They were also quite quick with calling him for his November 30th interview. I had some faith in the process at that point. Previously, as each month passed and the percentage of processed cases got higher, we thought for sure we'd be under the 7 months maximum to process us. But now that the entire published 7 months time has passed, and our case having no complications, I feel like we're in Immigration limbo with no news, and the Government having no accountability to their published processes.
I am Canadian born, I am sponsoring from here and we are waiting on the Canadian Embassy in Lima Peru for our application to be processed. The Canadian Embassy website for Peru says they have processed 80% of applications in 6 months. On the main Immigration Canada website, they say 80% in 7 months. A contradiction in itself, like most things with the Government.
The only indication they have had a second look at our file is where I mentioned that he was asked for more details (in February) on his non-combat military services. He hand delivered that to them the next day. For anyone in the private sector processing info. like that in our jobs...a few days. With the Government.....add a month I suppose. Perhaps they really are trying to communicate with the individuals listed on the info., who knows how long that could take. The immigration lawyer I had been dealing with has been great, and she thought Lima was 'pretty good' at getting back to people. I wrote 2 weeks ago, and not even a courteous reply that any individual had been in receipt my enquiry.
Military Service immediately raises red flags, thats where the delay is.

PMM

TTT

May 2, 2007
Hello LCS & PMM,

Wow this Imigration Limbo thing is really hard... I feel at a loss and its worse for my Husband who is living trough it (hell) What I dont understand is why don't they just say its going to take an year and not give false hope to people... I am having a hard time understanding that... I mean most of us are smart and can understand .. .the US tells people straight out that it will take 3 years ... if we know that we can at least do something to either change our lifes to suite or we wont be sitting like my husband wondering what he should do with a promotion that he got that he has to sign on for 3 years or he wont get it... I mean if they keep us updated we would at least be able to make decisions on our lives ... i feel like we are stuck not here or there... Dont get me wrong i rather live here in Canada ... I love it here ... its a great country but if its this diffcult and they are keeping us apart for this long i dont know what to do.. I love my husband more and i want to start my life with him... yes i guess i am ranting ... just very fustrated... I love my husband and its just real trying with the distance ... It does not help that he is in a country were i am worried for his life everyday... were a full out war could break out ... Just very fustrated ... I hope and pray that everything will work out and I am worrying for nothing....

Still praying and still in process ...

LCS

May 5, 2005
Thank you PMM, from other posts you have given I thought you would have the most knowledgable answers/ reasons.
I also thought it has been the military service that was likely causing the delay, as they came back with a request for more info. and needed to research further exactly what he had been doing. But his service was in the communications support sector, office duties basically. He never went outside of Lima into other areas or anything that could be associated with questionable active military operations. Many young Peruvian men faced with no employment prospects choose to serve a basic military term just in order to have a 'job' for a period of time, and he did not re-enlist.
Well, I guess Immigration still has to confirm all the data. On Government and Peruvian time schedules I guess that could be 'many' (many...........MANY?) weeks more.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

LCS said:
Thank you PMM, from other posts you have given I thought you would have the most knowledgable answers/ reasons.
I also thought it has been the military service that was likely causing the delay, as they came back with a request for more info. and needed to research further exactly what he had been doing. But his service was in the communications support sector, office duties basically. He never went outside of Lima into other areas or anything that could be associated with questionable active military operations. Many young Peruvian men faced with no employment prospects choose to serve a basic military term just in order to have a 'job' for a period of time, and he did not re-enlist.
Well, I guess Immigration still has to confirm all the data. On Government and Peruvian time schedules I guess that could be 'many' (many...........MANY?) weeks more.
CIC is very careful these days for ex-military personnel, even those that have claimed that they were in a non-combat role. Especially in area where there has been action against "rebel" groups, such as the shining path and the tupac amaru in Peru. They were "burnt" very badly with some "non combat soldiers" in various African countries.

PMM

PMM

LCS

May 5, 2005
PMM,
Thank you again for the info. Of course I can see that a possible association with rebel groups in a country such as Peru is the CIC's concern. I know there is nothing suspicious in my husband's service, he is a completely anti-violence, law abiding person and as I said, never left the area. Worst case nightmare scenario he finds out that he was unwittingly involved in something he had no idea about at the time and was a pawn in something that will affect our application!!! I don't even want to think about the possibility, but nothing would surprise me about sucha a deception in the Government or military sector in any country.
When CIC had requested more detailed background, it was just what location he served at, what group/troop, his commanding officers, time periods etc. Hopefully they are just checking out all that data, which I can understand, and will confirm all the info. easily.
Again, add Government time plus Peruvian time and who knows.

dpshah

May 2, 2007
Dear PMM,
I was searching you. My case is pending in Delhi since last August. They started to process our application for PR from August 9. They asked for passports in sept which I submitted. Since then it is in process. We are sponsored by my wife which was approved by Missassa... in July 24.
What might be the reason. Replying my email Delhi said it would take about four months. But nothing came . Last month again they said it would take another 3 months. Holding passport for so much time.
Can you say some words to me PMM?
DPSHAH

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dpshah said:
Dear PMM,
I was searching you. My case is pending in Delhi since last August. They started to process our application for PR from August 9. They asked for passports in sept which I submitted. Since then it is in process. We are sponsored by my wife which was approved by Missassa... in July 24.
What might be the reason. Replying my email Delhi said it would take about four months. But nothing came . Last month again they said it would take another 3 months. Holding passport for so much time.
Can you say some words to me PMM?
DPSHAH
Appears to be a problem, I would suggest that you authorize your spouse to obtain your CAIPS file or order it through one of the Companies such as Caipsnotes or Caipsfile. The CAIPS will show where the problem is. The average processing time for spousal apps at Delhi is 2-5 months, see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/times-int/05-fc-spouses.html#asia

dpshah

May 2, 2007
Dear PMM! Thank you!
My wife in Canada. My one son also is in Canada with study permit. Other son is here with me. We all three are sponsored. Not only spouse.
How can I authorize for CAIPS to my wife? Can it be done through email or phonecall?
DPSHAH

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dpshah said:
Dear PMM! Thank you!
My wife in Canada. My one son also is in Canada with study permit. Other son is here with me. We all three are sponsored. Not only spouse.
How can I authorize for CAIPS to my wife? Can it be done through email or phonecall?
DPSHAH
As you wife is in Canada, then she can request your CAIPS file on your behalf. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/department/atip/requests-personal.html for the instructions and forms. She will require an authorization from you. It cannot be done by email or phone. Unless you hire one of the companies mentioned previously.

PMM

LCS

May 5, 2005
PMM,

If my situation drags on, is this the route to take to find out what is holding things up? Will obtaining this information have the exact reason anyone's application is in limbo? thx