03-11-2013
Med's Done....
07-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-2013
LANDED..........
04-01-2014
krishna_05 said:
it was a "unknown " number.. it doesnt even show in my call log now..!
Wondering how they got your number. These people seem to have some inside connection, OR, have you been using that application that 'checks' your Visa status?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
krishna_05 said:
it was a "unknown " number.. it doesnt even show in my call log now..!
Call CIC hotline if you're in Canada and tell them about the call and that it's the second call now. I hope it goes without saying
that unless an official CIC representative from that hotline tells you to pay, you don't pay anything at all, ya?

Check with them, 99,99999% it's not a CIC and not a legit call, and can be and should be ignored.

I'm still unsure about how they got the information about applicants.

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
krishna_05 said:
lol.. i got another call today... she wants to update my overseas citizenship card number onto my file and i could do that 2 ways - either i travel to New delhi and go to consulate there OR they could do that for me...
it is definitely a scam as you can tell.

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
mrFoce said:
Wondering how they got your number. These people seem to have some inside connection, OR, have you been using that application that 'checks' your Visa status?
They already have some information. That is how they run a scam, any scam.

They use those information to make you feel, they are legit. And in the mean time, they try to extract some information from you too.

http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/english/home.html

Read up this site, and get used to scam types + how to inform CIC about any scams.

krishna_05

Star Member
Nov 21, 2013
i never used any app to check my status... no idea how they got my number.. i tried calling cic, everytime it asks me to enter my client id and the year of birth and then terminates the call without routing it to an agent.. looks like the system is intelligent to check if the applicant has crossed 13/2 months timeframe..

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
krishna_05 said:
i never used any app to check my status... no idea how they got my number.. i tried calling cic, everytime it asks me to enter my client id and the year of birth and then terminates the call without routing it to an agent.. looks like the system is intelligent to check if the applicant has crossed 13/2 months timeframe..
No, the system doesn't check that. You can call at any time. Try different options during the call.
Keep trying, you'll get put thru eventually.

mrFoce

Star Member
Oct 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-01-2013
Med's Request
03-11-2013
Med's Done....
07-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-2013
LANDED..........
04-01-2014
iamroth said:
They already have some information. That is how they run a scam, any scam.

They use those information to make you feel, they are legit. And in the mean time, they try to extract some information from you too.

http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/english/home.html

Read up this site, and get used to scam types + how to inform CIC about any scams.
I got a very good understanding of what scams look like, don't worry. My point is that this scam seems to be targetting people from India and manages to find their numbers. I wonder HOW they target these people so directly.

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
mrFoce said:
I got a very good understanding of what scams look like, don't worry. My point is that this scam seems to be targetting people from India and manages to find their numbers. I wonder HOW they target these people so directly.
Obviously there is a leak lol...

For example, I bought a Win xp CD (2005-06), and I never installed it. It was brand new in package. Many months later, I installed it to one of my less-powerful laptops. After putting the Serial Key for Win xp, to my amazement, I saw the serial key is invalid.
So I called Microsoft, and the agent told me, my Serial key has been used "many times" already.

Morale, of the story there is a leak lolll.

mrFoce

Star Member
Oct 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-01-2013
Med's Request
03-11-2013
Med's Done....
07-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-2013
LANDED..........
04-01-2014
iamroth said:
Obviously there is a leak lol...

For example, I bought a Win xp CD (2005-06), and I never installed it. It was brand new in package. Many months later, I installed it to one of my less-powerful laptops. After putting the Serial Key for Win xp, to my amazement, I saw the serial key is invalid.
So I called Microsoft, and the agent told me, my Serial key has been used "many times" already.

Morale, of the story there is a leak lolll.
Morale of your story is that you bought it from a sketchy place (maybe it was cheap). If it's retail packaging and you paid full price, why would you accept such answer from Microsoft?

I wouldn't say these cases are similar.

Back on topic: There has to be some kind of common denominator in these cases and if we can match all details, we could probably help other people by advising them to take a different route (unless it's an embassy employee who is crooked). Perhaps they all used the same shipping company and one of their delivery people is crooked etc. If people write down all details, we can find the common denominator.. Things I would be interested in would be: which address was it send to, how was the application send (parcel, enveloppe etc) and which company was used. Things like that.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
mrFoce said:
Morale of your story is that you bought it from a sketchy place (maybe it was cheap). If it's retail packaging and you paid full price, why would you accept such answer from Microsoft?

Back on topic: There has to be some kind of common denominator in these cases and if we can match all details, we could probably help other people by advising them to take a different route (unless it's an embassy employee who is crooked). Perhaps they all used the same shipping company and one of their delivery people is crooked etc. If people write down all details, we can find the common denominator.. Things I would be interested in would be: which address was it send to, how was the application send (parcel, enveloppe etc) and which company was used. Things like that.
There were only 2 cases reported here. I had a spreadsheet online for people to fill out that information,
but with only two reported cases it's almost impossible to find that common denominator.

cec4111

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visa Office......
Calgary
krishna_05 said:
Am not sure this is related but I had similar experience in 2011. Some one called from an unknown number saying that they are calling from Calgary Police and they knew my name. My wife picked the call and told that I was involved in a criminal activity and police was looking for me. They said they would call me again and I have to do preliminary bail arrangements to avoid getting arrested. I got all worried and If I really had committed crime, police wouldnt call me. They would just bang my door. So I called up the local police station myself and informed the same. Then they said, its a scam and not to respond to those numbers. I got to know from Telus that they got my number from Yellow Pages, just by searching my name.
So I had to activate anonymous called id, remove from Yellow Pages and had to change my phone number.

So they are obviously targeting new immigrants and specially Indians.

krishna_05

Star Member
Nov 21, 2013
So, finally called the call center.. they asked me to drop an email to the sydney office, which i did. lets see what i hear.

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
mrFoce said:

And how would you know from where I bought it?
Can you tell me?