+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension Request Question: "Proof of Means of Financial Support"

Roseyyeong66

Apr 5, 2024
Hello :)

I seem to be posting here a lot but it seems to be the most helpful place for really niche questions...

I was wondering how I could prove my fiance has money to support me for my stay here. We were wondering if a bank statement in his name would be okay for this document? In my application, I said that he would be covering my expenses but they say that bank statements must be in my name. Here are a few of the documents they allow and my questions for each one:

• Your bank statements for the past four months:
    • Could we provide them with my fiance's bank statements instead of mine?

• A letter from the person or institution providing you with money:
    • We assume they would want proof of his money so would he write that he will support me for the entirety of my stay and then attach a bank statement?

• Proof of a Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred to Canada:
    • Again, would we provide his account instead of mine?

Also, for more context, most of my fiance's financials are in his savings. He says that it would only take 1-2 days to transfer it to his checking but we are worried that IRCC wants all the money to be in the checking, not savings. Would this be an issue if the money we claim he will support me with is in savings and not checking? It's the same account just in different sections. Please let me know, thanks again :)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

I seem to be posting here a lot but it seems to be the most helpful place for really niche questions...

I was wondering how I could prove my fiance has money to support me for my stay here. We were wondering if a bank statement in his name would be okay for this document? In my application, I said that he would be covering my expenses but they say that bank statements must be in my name. Here are a few of the documents they allow and my questions for each one:

• We assume they would want proof of his money so would he write that he will support me for the entirety of my stay and then attach a bank statement?

• Proof of a Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred to Canada:

Also, for more context, most of my fiance's financials are in his savings. He says that it would only take 1-2 days to transfer it to his checking but we are worried that IRCC wants all the money to be in the checking, not savings. Would this be an issue if the money we claim he will support me with is in savings and not checking? It's the same account just in different sections. Please let me know, thanks again :)
Is this for a TRV? If so post under Visitors. This in not a family sponsorship question. FYI - it is never good for someone else to fully finance your visit. That is a red flag to IRCC that you cannot afford it. You need to show that you can afford to visit.

Roseyyeong66

Apr 5, 2024
Is this for a TRV? If so post under Visitors. This in not a family sponsorship question. FYI - it is never good for someone else to fully finance your visit. That is a red flag to IRCC that you cannot afford it. You need to show that you can afford to visit.
No, we are extending my visit so that we can get married and then do spousal sponsorship as my other questions entail. The only reason he is supporting me is because I cannot legally work at the moment as I do not have a work permit and originally came here just to visit. But, we became engaged so now I would like to stay here as we can afford it and he wants to marry me. Apologies if that was not clear before.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

You are overthinking. I doubt they need so much details for visitor status extension, specially for an American citizen. Money in savings is as good as in checking. And as long as the combined finance looks OK, it is not a problem.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
No, we are extending my visit so that we can get married and then do spousal sponsorship as my other questions entail. The only reason he is supporting me is because I cannot legally work at the moment as I do not have a work permit and originally came here just to visit. But, we became engaged so now I would like to stay here as we can afford it and he wants to marry me. Apologies if that was not clear before.
Have him write a short letter, something about his employment, salary mention if he's not shy of that, and offer to provide more if needed.

Roseyyeong66

Apr 5, 2024
You are overthinking. I doubt they need so much details for visitor status extension, specially for an American citizen. Money in savings is as good as in checking. And as long as the combined finance looks OK, it is not a problem.
Have him write a short letter, something about his employment, salary mention if he's not shy of that, and offer to provide more if needed.
Thank you both for your advice. I will try to take both of your suggestions and apply them, thanks! :)