+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extended stay visa and re-entry

yggun

Dec 1, 2010
I am a Korean American and have been staying in Canada for about 8 months now as a visitor.

Before my temporary stay visa (the one I got at the airport when I entered Canada back in March) expired in September, I applied to extend my visit in Canada and was granted a permission by the CIC to stay with my brother's family in Canada until February 28, 2011. Several restrictions were put on me, including prohibition from working and attending any college/educational institution, which I have not violated.

Now I plan to travel to Korea to visit my parents next week. There is a possibility that I might have to return to Canada in mid February 2011 (before Feb. 28) with my mom, who is a permanent resident of Canada, and I am wondering if the fact that I return before my current stay visa expires would prevent me from entering Canada again in Feb. 2011.

Thank you for taking your time.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The visa extension is a visitor record, it does not normally guarantee re-entry to Canada.

Any visitor can be refused entry, entry is at the discretion of the IO.

What passport do you hold?

yggun

Dec 1, 2010
I have an US passport only (though I have dual citizenship).

I have been visiting Canada several times in the past few years and have never been refused entry. I am pretty positive if I return to Canada after Feb.28 2011, I will be fine (well, as long as I don't bring in any firearms, drugs, etc.) but I am wondering if there is a possibility that the IO could refuse my entry just for the fact that I'm returning before my current visa extension expires.

Any idea?

Thanks.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yggun said:
I am wondering if there is a possibility that the IO could refuse my entry just for the fact that I'm returning before my current visa extension expires.

Any idea?
Doubtful.

You are visa exempt, as long as you meet all the conditions as a visitor then you should be OK.
But there are no guarantees.

yggun

Dec 1, 2010
Thank you for your reply. I guess it might be better for me to just call the CIC to find out what exactly could happen.

Just for clarification, I did NOT actually get a temporary stay visa at the airport. I just got a stamp on my passport since I was visa exempt as an US citizen. Then, in September, I applied to extend my visit in Canada and was approved by the CIC.

Since a Visa Record sheet I got from the CIC says I must leave Canada by Feb 28, 2011, I thought I will be fine as long as I follow this, regardless of when I return to Canada again.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You may be flagged on your next visit, you may also be given a limited time entry.

Always an unknown experience at immigration.

midnight_sun

Nov 6, 2010
yggun said:
Since a Visa Record sheet I got from the CIC says I must leave Canada by Feb 28, 2011, I thought I will be fine as long as I follow this, regardless of when I return to Canada again.
I think you're right about this. You will probably be given a Visitor Record again at the airport in Feb. with a limited time of stay. I don't think you will be denied entry.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You would already have complied with the temporary nature of your stay when you leave Canada. When you enter again it would be a "new" visit. Being a visitor, there are no guarantees on how long a stay you'll be given or whether they will allow you entry or not. It is totally on the discretion of the officer at the POE. You need not even show your VR when you come back but have it handy in case the officer asks. Being a US citizen, you don't need a visa to enter Canada.

yggun said:
I have an US passport only (though I have dual citizenship).

I have been visiting Canada several times in the past few years and have never been refused entry. I am pretty positive if I return to Canada after Feb.28 2011, I will be fine (well, as long as I don't bring in any firearms, drugs, etc.) but I am wondering if there is a possibility that the IO could refuse my entry just for the fact that I'm returning before my current visa extension expires.

Any idea?

Thanks.