+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extended stay in Canada by doing a day trip to US

kgrajiv

Mar 21, 2019
Hi All,

We would like our parents to stay beyond 180 days. They are on Visitor visa. They do have US visa. Can we take them like flagpole to US for a day and come back to Canada to extend their visa for another 180 days? Unfortunately we did not apply for super visa at that time as they were not keen to stay beyond 4 months, now they like to stay for a year

The pain is to do medicals which is charging $260 per person. I wanted to see if this can be avoided. We do have medical insurance though for emergency

Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

We would like our parents to stay beyond 180 days. They are on Visitor visa. They do have US visa. Can we take them like flagpole to US for a day and come back to Canada to extend their visa for another 180 days? Unfortunately we did not apply for super visa at that time as they were not keen to stay beyond 4 months, now they like to stay for a year

The pain is to do medicals which is charging $260 per person. I wanted to see if this can be avoided. We do have medical insurance though for emergency

Thanks in advance
It's strongly recommended that you don't do this but instead extend their stay from within Canada by paying the fee and getting the medical done. CBSA can sometimes not react well to people flagpolling just to try to extend their status and simply allow them back in but not allow a longer stay in Canada. Much better chance the extension will be approved if you apply from within Canada vs flagpolling. Your choice of course.

kgrajiv

Mar 21, 2019
It's strongly recommended that you don't do this but instead extend their stay from within Canada by paying the fee and getting the medical done. CBSA can sometimes not react well to people flagpolling just to try to extend their status and simply allow them back in but not allow a longer stay in Canada. Much better chance the extension will be approved if you apply from within Canada vs flagpolling. Your choice of course.
Thanks I don't mind applying for an extension any paying the fee. The need of Medical test is bit confusing as it stays Medical is required if they are staying six or more consecutive months as per https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=441&top=16#. My thought was since the day they return back they will get a new visitor record again as old is no more valid. Is medical still required?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks I don't mind applying for an extension any paying the fee. The need of Medical test is bit confusing as it stays Medical is required if they are staying six or more consecutive months as per https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=441&top=16#. My thought was since the day they return back they will get a new visitor record again as old is no more valid. Is medical still required?
Apply for the extension and IRCC will tell you if a medical is needed. If a medical is needed then you'll need to do it.

Reactions: kgrajiv