+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extend Stay for Parents as Visitors (NOT Super Visa)

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Hi,

I'm a graduate student and my parents are visiting me here in Canada. They have been here for 5 months and I would like to extend their stay before the 6 months allowed for visitors are over. They will be applying by mail and I have a few questions that I would hope someone could help me with.

1. For a family application, is it enough that they just send both applications in the same envelope? I'm asking because there seems to be an form for a family representative for online applications but I don't see anything about that in the checklist for mailed applications.

2. Do they both need to send photos? In the supporting documents section for the online application there is a field for a digital photo. But that is only for the principal applicant (and it would be weird to generate a joint photo!). Again, no mentioning of any photos required in the checklist.

3. For the purpose of their stay, I just want them to spend some more time with me over here over the Christmas break and New Year's Eve before they go back home since I'm not sure if either of us will be able to visit any time soon. Their entry visa expired shortly after they arrived and I'm in my final year of my degree so I will not be able to travel. They already have return tickets which I will change to a later date and will provide a copy of the tickets with my application. Would that be ok/reasonable?

Reactions: hhardyyy

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Can someone at least confirm that they don't need to send photographs if I'm sending the application by regular mail?

Also, since they visited me a couple of years ago, would the entry date for that visit be the date of their original entry to Canada mentioned in the form?

Thanks..

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
informer2000 said:
Hi,

I'm a graduate student and my parents are visiting me here in Canada. They have been here for 5 months and I would like to extend their stay before the 6 months allowed for visitors are over. They will be applying by mail and I have a few questions that I would hope someone could help me with.

1. For a family application, is it enough that they just send both applications in the same envelope? I'm asking because there seems to be an form for a family representative for online applications but I don't see anything about that in the checklist for mailed applications.

Thats fine

2. Do they both need to send photos? In the supporting documents section for the online application there is a field for a digital photo. But that is only for the principal applicant (and it would be weird to generate a joint photo!). Again, no mentioning of any photos required in the checklist.

I did online, only required for P.A

3. For the purpose of their stay, I just want them to spend some more time with me over here over the Christmas break and New Year's Eve before they go back home since I'm not sure if either of us will be able to visit any time soon. Their entry visa expired shortly after they arrived and I'm in my final year of my degree so I will not be able to travel. They already have return tickets which I will change to a later date and will provide a copy of the tickets with my application. Would that be ok/reasonable?

Its OK, they are easy on parents app but show good enough financial docs
Answered

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your application package is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp Doesn't say anything about needing photos.

You should make sure to apply earlier than later. Actually you should apply for an extension 30 days before their status expires but immigration doesn't seem to hold it against people as long as they receive your application before their status expires.

They should show that they have funds to stay in Canada and that they have some type of travel insurance in case of an emergency.

You can send the applications in the same envelope. The entry date would be the entry date for this trip, that is 5 months ago.

yellowdea

Star Member
Oct 4, 2012
Hi!
When sending application to extend the visiting visa. Do we need to send the original passport too?

Thank u!

hhardyyy

Jun 7, 2023
Hello member
We are the parents n now on visitor visa since 4feb 2023 here(calgary canada) During our stay here my daughter's baby born on 5th march n my gaughter's husband doing job as Truck operator . Always going in long route duty so we (me n my wife ) wants look after my daughter n her baby six month more. If our visitor visa extended. Then it is possible. Please suggest us.
Thanking you in anticipation

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello member
We are the parents n now on visitor visa since 4feb 2023 here(calgary canada) During our stay here my daughter's baby born on 5th march n my gaughter's husband doing job as Truck operator . Always going in long route duty so we (me n my wife ) wants look after my daughter n her baby six month more. If our visitor visa extended. Then it is possible. Please suggest us.
Thanking you in anticipation
You can certainly apply to extend your stay. None of us here can tell you if the extension will be approved. That will be up to IRCC.

Do not give the reason for extending your stay as wanting to look after your daughter's baby. IRCC will view this as working illegally.

Just say you want to visit with your daughter for longer.