+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired visa and work permit

Apr 25, 2024
I am an international student and my studies is complete now and I am planning to apply for my pgwp. My husband is in spousal open work permit visa but his visa and work permit expired on 20th of April and now he is out of visa and status. We are waiting for our passport to reach to us because we sent them for renewal. It will take around 10 more days to reach to our place. What are the consequences of staying without visa and permit please let me know guys???? What should we do now?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am an international student and my studies is complete now and I am planning to apply for my pgwp. My husband is in spousal open work permit visa but his visa and work permit expired on 20th of April and now he is out of visa and status. We are waiting for our passport to reach to us because we sent them for renewal. It will take around 10 more days to reach to our place. What are the consequences of staying without visa and permit please let me know guys???? What should we do now?
He needed to stop working on April 20. He needs to maintain status in Canada so should change his status to visitor. Are you without status too?

Apr 25, 2024
I am on my trv and I am without status we are waiting for the passport to come in few days so that we both can apply for pgwp.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am on my trv and I am without status we are waiting for the passport to come in few days so that we both can apply for pgwp.
Did you both let your status lapse? You restore status and then apply for PGWP. You cannot work until PGWP is approved because you are out of status. For SOWP, you need to provide job letter with at least 3 pay stubs.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes I got completion letter yesterday from college and the transcript. That’swhy.
But you could have extended your study permit before it expired but now you are out of status. And spouse could have changed status to visitor. Because of not extending your study permit, you need to restore status and apply for PGWP. You now cannot work until PGWP is approved. Also because you let status lapse, spouse is probably not eligible for SOWP because you have to show proof of employment and pay stubs. You cannot do that now until you have PGWP. Both of you will not be able to work for many months.

Apr 25, 2024
There has been misunderstanding I have study permit until July. What should I do and how does restoration work what does it mean? He could have extended but his passport expired 20th of April and work permit too. We have applied for renewal but it has not come yet.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
There has been misunderstanding I have study permit until July. What should I do and how does restoration work what does it mean? He could have extended but his passport expired 20th of April and work permit too. We have applied for renewal but it has not come yet.
So your study permit is valid until July and spouse’s SOWP expired on April 20, correct? If so, once you apply for PGWP then you include your job letter with at least 3 paystubs so he can apply for SOWP. He is out of status so changes status to visitor once he has passport. He cannot work until his SOWP is approved which will be several months. You should be able to work once you apply for PGWP as you will be on maintained status. IRCC will send notification.

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181&top=15

abee007

May 1, 2019
You don't need to restore since you still have a valid study permit. You just have to wait for your passport to come since you need to attach the biodata page showing its validity. Then you can now apply for the work permit, as long as the study permit is still valid.
After school is done, you have 90 days I think to apply for PGWP before you become out of status, then that is when you need to do restoration.