+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR card, want to buy property in BC. Any non-resident speculation tax applies?

sk4ans

Feb 20, 2022
Hi there,

My PR card expired in 2013. I entered Canada with an EU passport as a visitor last year. I have a SIN with no expiry date and an expired PR card. May I know if I need to pay the non-resident speculation tax when I buy a property in BC?

Thank you very much.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

My PR card expired in 2013. I entered Canada with an EU passport as a visitor last year. I have a SIN with no expiry date and an expired PR card. May I know if I need to pay the non-resident speculation tax when I buy a property in BC?

Thank you very much.
I assume you entered as a resident and not as a visitor? In other words, you re-enter Canada through the US/Canada land border and not through an eTA and a flight?

IMO you should be able to avoid the non-resident tax in that case.

sk4ans

Feb 20, 2022
I assume you entered as a resident and not as a visitor? In other words, you re-enter Canada through the US/Canada land border and not through an eTA and a flight?

IMO you should be able to avoid the non-resident tax in that case.
Thank you for your reply.

Actually I entered the Canada border through an eTA and a flight from Europe as a visitor. I had not questioned by the border security officer because the name on my expired PR card was different from the name shown on my EU passport.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Actually I entered the Canada border through an eTA and a flight from Europe as a visitor. I had not questioned by the border security officer because the name on my expired PR card was different from the name shown on my EU passport.
Hmmm... That's messier. You don't qualify for an eTA as a PR. I'm not sure how this will be viewed when it comes time to renew your PR card (and any subsequent impacts to real estate purchases).

I don't know the answer in that case.

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015

Are you able to avail the services that are provided to a PR? Like Health Benefits, filed taxes, etc?
You may not have to pay the non-resident tax if you live here like a PR rather than a visitor since CBSA or IRCC doesn't have a role in property transactions.

Be ready for a lot of complexities when you interact with IRCC for PR CARD renewal or citizenship.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

That can be considered trying to misrepresent because you haven’t met your RO. You are required to declare that you are a PR and fly in withPR card or PRTD.

Reactions: YVR123

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

You’ve created a bit of a mess, huh ?
So who do you want to be ?
Because it looks like you have no clue .
Non resident for tax purposes, visitor,PR holder who couldn’t make their RO, but decided to make their way to Canada anyway ?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

I agree that's misrepresentation by using a different name to hide the fact that you are a PR whom doesn't meet OR.
Do you still have any valid passport that has the same name as your PR card or COPR?

Which name are you using as your legal name?

I think you do need valid PR card or any document to proof that you are currently a PR to wave any foreign buyer's tax.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
By Law, Canadian permanent residents are required to present a valid Canadian permanent resident card or a permanent resident travel document when travelling to Canada.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1252&top=16

Furthermore, the act states:

40 (1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible for misrepresentation
(a) for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act;

Not disclosing the name has been listed in numerous cases both to deny an appeal or to justify approving an appeal (i.e. a case of someone who used a different birth date and got an eTA while in slight breach of RO. the court decision mentioned that in her eTA application, she had used a different document that showed a birth date 6 days apart from the one in the PR application. the court mentioned that this person not only put in the comment that she was looking to move permanently back to Canada, she also did not use a different name, therefore the court deemed that it was not an intentional misrepresentation.
In another court case, it found that an individual tried to enter Canada through an eTA and was rejected, after which he entered into a relationship (deemed of convenience) and used that new name to apply and get an eTA, that person was later found when applying for renewal of their driver license and was banned from entering Canada.

The issue here are two fold: as a PR, you are required to present yourself as a PR when interacting with CBSA, and whether or not using the different name was just an honest mistake, or an intentional misrepresentation. Historically, a different name goes straight to intentional misrepresentation.

NB: I provided the information and have no interest in feeding the troll. Smart individuals will learn from that information what they need, and the troll can play by himself the way he feels like, wasting only his own time.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Apart from the question about BC non-resident speculation tax . . .

For clarification:

By Law, Canadian permanent residents are required to present a valid Canadian permanent resident card or a permanent resident travel document when travelling to Canada.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1252&top=16
While the FAQ information is generally true, it is incomplete and not correct in certain respects. It glosses over the surface. For example, a valid PR card is only necessary for traveling to Canada that is via commercial transportation. A valid PR card is not necessary to travel to Canada using private transportation.

A valid PR card is not required for entry into Canada.

Making an application for eTA is different. Which brings up misrepresentation. The reason for these clarifications.

For purposes of interactions and transactions with CBSA and IRCC, a failure to disclose material information, deceptively or misleadingly, is misrepresentation. Misrepresentation by omission (lots and lots of cases illustrating this).

Criminal law procedure is NOT relevant. Among other things, not only is the burden of proof very different, but in the context of interactions and transactions with CBSA and IRCC, the individual has a legal obligation to truthfully present information . . . which means an obligation to affirmatively disclose material information.

Moreover, even though it seems like punishment (such as being deemed inadmissible for misrepresentation, losing PR status and being banned from Canada), generally the consequences for misrepresentation imposed in an immigration context are not considered punishment. So what principles of justice some may think should apply before a penalty can be imposed, those will not apply before a FN or PR can be found to have made material misrepresentations resulting in a loss of status in Canada, at least not in the manner or degree the law in Canada generally requires to justify the imposition of a penalty. Adjudication of an accusation of misrepresentation for immigration purposes is a determination of status, not a process to determine or impose punishment.

Make no mistake, misrepresentation in interactions and transactions with CBSA or IRCC can also be prosecuted as a criminal offence. Misrepresentation can result in a criminal conviction and punishment, ranging from fines to jail time. It is not common. For many reasons, including the burden of proof, including proof of requisite mental intent (mens rea), in particular with regard to the specific elements which must be proven to establish a crime was committed and the accused committed that crime.

On the other hand, even the allegation and adjudication of misrepresentation for purposes of determining status is not all that common. It happens. Classic example: applicant for citizenship used an Ontario address for his residence when he actually resided, apparently, in Quebec; he did so on the advice of a "consultant" who said the application would be processed much faster using an Ontario address (consultant also provided an address in Ontario for this, for a fee of course). That was sufficient grounds to deny the citizenship application and result in that individual being prohibited for . . . I forget how many years the prohibition was at that time. @Naheulbeuck noted another example. One more may be illuminating: PR was formally examined as to RO compliance upon arriving in Canada and made misrepresentations about days in Canada; YEARS later, in processing the PR's application for a new PR card, the earlier misrepresentations at the PoE were grounds for finding that individual inadmissible for misrepresentation in connection with seeking entry into Canada and terminating their PR status, even though they had spent several years in Canada in the meantime.

Nonetheless, such cases generally are the exception, not the norm. Even when it readily appears the individual either made overt misrepresentations or made misrepresentations by omission.

It is far more common for CBSA and IRCC to take note of misrepresentations and consider that when evaluating the individual and whatever matter is being determined. As I have oft reminded, apart from meeting the requirements and following the instructions in completing applications, the next most important factor that determines how a transaction with CBSA or IRCC is likely to go, is the individual's credibility. Credibility is Huge. A big deal. Those who dismiss, ignore, or even just overlook this, do so very much at their peril.

So, What Does This Mean For @sk4ans?

Again, apart from BC non-resident tax issue . . .

Very hard to predict. There is some RISK. Trying to quantify the risks is highly speculative. I doubt anyone, even a lawyer, can reliably forecast how things will go when there is a formal transaction (application for a new PR card for example) with IRCC. The difference in name on the passport, for example, may or may not pose a significant stumbling block. Depending on the details. The application for eTA may indeed come back to not just haunt the OP but be cause for terminating status for misrepresentation. Question is whether IRCC will pursue that. And that is uncertain.

Presenting the visa-exempt passport at the PoE upon arrival is less likely to be a problem. While misrepresentations in the PoE examination, including by omission, can be grounds for a finding of inadmissibility, it is not likely merely presenting a visa-exempt passport and being allowed to enter Canada ostensibly as a visitor would lead to that. Maybe. Most likely not.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
You be honest - you get reported and deported. You misrepresent - you get deported. So, what difference does it make if end result is the same?

Most of that the source of this posts is either nonsense or distraction, and should be ignored. Most is not worth addressing.

But it warrants noting this statement illustrates their depth of ignorance. Without getting into the many respects in which it can, and in many cases will make a difference, there is the most obvious one:
-- if someone loses PR status for a failure to comply with the Residency Obligation and is issued a Removal Order, that merely makes them a Foreign National​
-- if a PR is deemed inadmissible for misrepresentation, not only will they lose PR status and then be a FN, they will be an inadmissible FN and barred from Canada for years​

A FN who is a former PR who lost PR status for a breach of the RO can, for example, be allowed into Canada as a visitor, or if qualified obtain a work permit, student permit, or apply for PR again, including (if it fits) being sponsored by a spouse.

A FN who is a former PR who lost PR status for misrepresentation will not be allowed to enter Canada as a visitor, again for years, unless they apply for and are granted special relief, and for years will not be eligible for a student or work permit, let alone PR even if they have a sponsoring spouse in Canada.

To be clear, there are other collateral considerations.

One grows weary of the . . . sigh . . .

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
You be honest - you get reported and deported. You misrepresent - you get deported. So, what difference does it make if end result is the same?

Most of that the source of this posts is either nonsense or distraction, and should be ignored. Most is not worth addressing.

But it warrants noting this statement illustrates their depth of ignorance. Without getting into the many respects in which it can, and in many cases will make a difference, there is the most obvious one:
-- if someone loses PR status for a failure to comply with the Residency Obligation and is issued a Removal Order, that merely makes them a Foreign National​
-- if a PR is deemed inadmissible for misrepresentation, not only will they lose PR status and then be a FN, they will be an inadmissible FN and barred from Canada for years​

A FN who is a former PR who lost PR status for a breach of the RO can, for example, be allowed into Canada as a visitor, or if qualified obtain a work permit, student permit, or apply for PR again, including (if it fits) being sponsored by a spouse.

A FN who is a former PR who lost PR status for misrepresentation will not be allowed to enter Canada as a visitor, again for years, unless they apply for and are granted special relief, and for years will not be eligible for a student or work permit, let alone PR even if they have a sponsoring spouse in Canada.

To be clear, there are other collateral considerations.

One grows weary of the . . . sigh . . .
Thanks, @dpenabill. It is helpful to have the distinctions noted.