+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR Card Many Years Ago

Vesper007

Jul 8, 2014
Hello!

I had a PR card that expired in June 2010. Yes it was four years ago but while my family moved to Canada during the course of the PR cards, I was studying in the USA and only finished a few months ago. My question is, would I be able to move to Canada as a PR now? How would I go about doing that? How long does it take to get a new PR card and then would my three years out of four begin on the date of arriving in Canada or the date my new PR card comes?

Furthermore, would I be able to get a job right off the bat or only once my new PR card comes?

Please help. All I know is that my case is not deactivated but my PR card is merely "frozen" from what my parents tell me. My passport of origin is Croatian and well, I'd rather live in Canada than there so I'm trying to research my chances here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How old are you now?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you were younger (under 20), then I would recommend that you apply for a travel document based on Humanitarian & Compassionate reasons - and state that the reason why you were unable to meet the residency requirement was because your family moved out of Canada and took you with them. However I think you're far too old for that to work now.

At this point I think your only option is to try to enter Canada without being reported and then live in Canada long enough (without leaving) to be able to renew your PR status.

If you are able to re-enter Canada without being reported for having an expired PR card and not meeting the residency requirement, you should then live in Canada for a minimum of 730 days straight (without leaving for even one day) before applying to renew your PR card.

If you are reported for failing to meet the residency requirement when you enter Canada by immigration, then you will be called to a hearing within 30 days to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status. It's hard to say if you would win this case or not. I think you probably wouldn't due to your age and the fact that you chose to complete your studies outside of Canada. If you do not win your case, you will lose your PR status and will be asked to leave Canada.

Vesper007

Jul 8, 2014
Ooooh boy, so that's how it is. :(

Is there any chance I can just enter Canada as a tourist first? I'm allowed 90 days w/my Croatian passport and then try the case from there?

Also, if I lose my case would I still be able to come in the future for just a few days (friend's wedding, business trips in the far off future, etc?).

Finally, with the 730 days... would I be allowed to work in Canada during those days or not?

Vesper007

Jul 8, 2014
Vesper007 said:
Ooooh boy, so that's how it is. :(

Is there any chance I can just enter Canada as a tourist first? I'm allowed 90 days w/my Croatian passport and then try the case from there?

Also, if I lose my case would I still be able to come in the future for just a few days (friend's wedding, business trips in the far off future, etc?).

Finally, with the 730 days of waiting before I get my new PR card... would I be allowed to work in Canada during those days or not?
Pumping because I'm curious and really need to know this. Thanks!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
If you are able to enter canada on a visa exempt passport and not be reported for not meeting RO then you can work as long as you have a SIN already. If you got one before you left for the USA then you should be fine. If you did not get a SIN, then you are not going to be able to work.

If you are reported and then you loose your PR, you will be able to apply for a visitor visa or tourist visa for weddings/trips/vacations and such just like anyone else would.