+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR card - leaving Canada soon for parents then returning through US/Canada border.

Adam479

Apr 3, 2015
Dear all,

My PR card expired and the renewal process can take a considerable period of time. I am traveling to Bangladesh (family members are sick) soon and returning in 3 weeks (as my work won't allow much more time off, so PTRD isn't really an option as it takes time). I have a valid US visa (B1/B2) and my return is from Bangladesh to the US (Buffalo, NY) and then cross into Canada using private transport (taxi service). I am wondering if anyone has gone through this process (even if not from Bangladesh necessarily!) and if so:

1. What questions were you asked by the immigration officer at the departing country (Bangladesh in my case) or at any of the connecting airports (mine is Doha) - was it straightforward or was there more scrutiny? (Since my departure from Canada is to BD and my return is to the US). What way can I prove that I have permanent resident status in Canada? I fulfill the residency obligation, so my status isn't a question, but how do I prove this to the immigration authority of another country? (I've only recently couriered my documents so I may not likely receive an acknowledgment of receipt when I need to depart from Bangladesh).

2. What questions were you asked by US Immigration? What is the best answer to give when the first obvious question is - "Why are you in the United States?"

2. I am taking Buffalo (NY, USA) taxi service into Canada, is that okay as a private transport?

3. Anything else I have to keep in mind? (Honestly, I am currently overwhelmed and would appreciate any advice you have to give or things to keep in mind).

Many thanks in advance,
Adam

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear all,

My PR card expired and the renewal process can take a considerable period of time. I am traveling to Bangladesh (family members are sick) soon and returning in 3 weeks (as my work won't allow much more time off, so PTRD isn't really an option as it takes time). I have a valid US visa (B1/B2) and my return is from Bangladesh to the US (Buffalo, NY) and then cross into Canada using private transport (taxi service). I am wondering if anyone has gone through this process (even if not from Bangladesh necessarily!) and if so:

1. What questions were you asked by the immigration officer at the departing country (Bangladesh in my case) or at any of the connecting airports (mine is Doha) - was it straightforward or was there more scrutiny? (Since my departure from Canada is to BD and my return is to the US). What way can I prove that I have permanent resident status in Canada? I fulfill the residency obligation, so my status isn't a question, but how do I prove this to the immigration authority of another country? (I've only recently couriered my documents so I may not likely receive an acknowledgment of receipt when I need to depart from Bangladesh).

2. What questions were you asked by US Immigration? What is the best answer to give when the first obvious question is - "Why are you in the United States?"

2. I am taking Buffalo (NY, USA) taxi service into Canada, is that okay as a private transport?

3. Anything else I have to keep in mind? (Honestly, I am currently overwhelmed and would appreciate any advice you have to give or things to keep in mind).

Many thanks in advance,
Adam
You can use either your expired PR card or your COPR to show you are a PR of Canada. Just let them know your PR card renewal application has been submitted and is being processed. You shouldn't have any issues.

Taxi is fine.

Make sure you leave time to get the molecular test done before entering Canada. You will need to take the test in the US and have a positive result before you can enter Canada. It can take 1-2 days or even more to get the results in some cases (depending on how busy they are). Make sure you plan for this. You won't be able to go right from the airport to the Canadian border.

I can't answer your questions regarding US immigration.

Reactions: Adam479

Adam479

Apr 3, 2015
You can use either your expired PR card or your COPR to show you are a PR of Canada. Just let them know your PR card renewal application has been submitted and is being processed. You shouldn't have any issues.

Taxi is fine.

Make sure you leave time to get the molecular test done before entering Canada. You will need to take the test in the US and have a positive result before you can enter Canada. It can take 1-2 days or even more to get the results in some cases (depending on how busy they are). Make sure you plan for this. You won't be able to go right from the airport to the Canadian border.

Thanks for your helpful responses, Scylla.

Some questions for this:

That's a good point to note but:

I'm getting tested before my departure from Bangladesh and to get to Buffalo Airport (NY, USA) is 31 hrs (if all goes well, if not say 40 or 50 hrs), does that not fulfill the 72 hours window that is currently imposed by Canada?

Says here (https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada) at this section:

Arriving by car, bus, boat, ferry or train
You must take a molecular test outside of Canada within 72 hours of your planned entry into Canada.

Maybe I'm not understanding this whole 72 hours thing.

If you have a conflict, I respect that. I meant that I am going to tell them it's to enter Canada, aka the truth. Just wasn't sure if that is the wording I should go with.

Thanks again!