+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experience gained in home country before obtaining a degree

SagiCZ

Jan 7, 2016
I have became fully qualified (according to NOC) to do the job in my field in June 2015 by completing my bachelor's degree. I have however worked and gained 1 year of experience in this field even BEFORE that date (while studying).

Will I be able to enter that experience as my foreign experience and gain points for that? I have pay stubs and letter from the employer. The NOC code is 2174

I mean, the company hired me even without the degree, they didn't care. It's not a regulated job.

jasonmac5

Star Member
Dec 3, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2015
AOR Received.
31-12-2015
Med's Done....
21-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2016
SagiCZ said:
I have became fully qualified (according to NOC) to do the job in my field in June 2015 by completing my bachelor's degree. I have however worked and gained 1 year of experience in this field even BEFORE that date (while studying).

Will I be able to enter that experience as my foreign experience and gain points for that? I have pay stubs and letter from the employer. The NOC code is 2174

I mean, the company hired me even without the degree, they didn't care. It's not a regulated job.
had similar situation. Had the employer letter and thats all i submitted. they didnt ask anything more.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
SagiCZ said:

As long as your foreign experience is paid, falls under NOC skill type 0, A or B and you have documentary evidence for the same, you can claim points for your foreign experience. You can try creating your profile and check it out for yourself.

SagiCZ

Jan 7, 2016
Guys, can anyone explain this sentence to me? Does it mean that any experience gained while full-time studying is useless regardless of where it was acquired?

a period of employment during which the foreign national was engaged in full-time study is not to be included in calculating a period of work experience;

Source: www<dot>cic<dot>gc<dot>ca/english/department/mi/express-entry.asp

manidhatt

Champion Member
May 30, 2013
Ontario
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 03
Doc's Request.
Feb 26 - Submitted March 03
AOR Received.
Feb 03
Med's Done....
Feb 12
Passport Req..
Aug 03
Any work experience gained (WITHIN CANADA) while attending college/university cannot be counted towards work experience in express entry. However, work experience gained while studying OUTSIDE CANADA can be counted as long as you provide IRCC with proof.

Reactions: Adanac11

eggsterminate

Star Member
Aug 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manidhatt said:
Any work experience gained (WITHIN CANADA) while attending college/university cannot be counted towards work experience in express entry. However, work experience gained while studying OUTSIDE CANADA can be counted as long as you provide IRCC with proof.
This is true only in the case of CEC. It is explicitly false for FSW. I have heard of many people spouting this off repeatedly. No idea where you are sourcing this info from.

manidhatt

Champion Member
May 30, 2013
Ontario
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 03
Doc's Request.
Feb 26 - Submitted March 03
AOR Received.
Feb 03
Med's Done....
Feb 12
Passport Req..
Aug 03
eggsterminate said:
This is true only in the case of CEC. It is explicitly false for FSW. I have heard of many people spouting this off repeatedly. No idea where you are sourcing this info from.

Do you see the first reply on this topic ? OP had same situation and receive PPR. I'd be glad if you could help someone with your excellence in immigration.

Reactions: Adanac11

SagiCZ

Jan 7, 2016
Yeah. I have a regular 1 year full-time experience in Canada on which I am basing my application (CEC). This issue concerned my part-time experience from my home country which I am only adding to gain CRS points (not to pass any eligibility requirements).

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
eggsterminate said:
manidhatt is correct. If someone has studied IN CANADA, their work experience while a student IN CANADA will not count, either for CRS points (FSW, CEC, FST) or for CEC class eligibility. If you work while studying outside of Canada, that work experience MAY be counted as foreign work experience (again, regardless of which class you are eligible for).

The source of this information is the Ministerial Instructions (e.g. the legislation creating the express entry program), available on CIC's website and elsewhere.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/mi/express-entry.asp

SagiCZ

Jan 7, 2016
jes_ON said:
If you work while studying outside of Canada, that work experience MAY be counted as foreign work experience.
Just to clarify, by MAY do you mean that it MIGHT be counted or MIGHT NOT be counted or do you mean that it WILL be counted in almost all cases?

Zeeshan.R

Jun 7, 2016
hello Guys,

This thread is exactly about my situation so please read my query below. Thanks

Hello All,

I recently had my ECA done and has been awarded Masters Degree equivalency in Canada by WES. I am looking to apply through Express entry under FSW program.

I have few questions about work experience.

I never had any full time work experience. I lived in UK for 5 years from September 2010 to January 2016. Its almost 5 and a half years.
My status in the UK was international student throughout my stay in the UK for more than 5 years. As we already know that international students are only allowed to work part time (20 hours) a week during study and full time work during vacations, and they can only be enrolled in full time studies.

I have 4 years of part time work experience in the UK under NOC 1241 Administrative assistants. If I accumulate the hours of this part time work it would be more than 5000 hours in total. It was like working 20 hours during term time and full time when I had vacations such as summer break, easter break and christmas break etc.

Therefore I have few questions.

1. Does CIC accepts any work experience (part time/full time) while you were enrolled for full time studies? if a candidate apply under FSW program.

2. If they do, would they ask me to provide all the working payslips? Suppose they may ask me the dates about vacations and study period as to when I was allowed to work part time only and when did I work full time during vacations. Will they ask for details if part time or full time work during vacations i was allowed to work full time or not?

I have read it clearly that any work experience gained while enrolled for full time studies is not acceptable under CEC class. But I haven't got any information if it applies the same for FSW candidates.

My confusion is that, any work experience gained while enrolled for studies rather part time or full time is not acceptable if a candidate has done this in Canada, but is that work experience (part time) acceptable if it was gained in any other country while enrolled for full time studies?

Please share your honest opinion and also share the source or official web link from CIC website that could satisfy me.

Any logical answer would be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Zeeshan.

Zeeshan.R

Jun 7, 2016
jes_ON said:
manidhatt is correct. If someone has studied IN CANADA, their work experience while a student IN CANADA will not count, either for CRS points (FSW, CEC, FST) or for CEC class eligibility. If you work while studying outside of Canada, that work experience MAY be counted as foreign work experience (again, regardless of which class you are eligible for).

The source of this information is the Ministerial Instructions (e.g. the legislation creating the express entry program), available on CIC's website and elsewhere.

Please see below:

Hello All,

I recently had my ECA done and has been awarded Masters Degree equivalency in Canada by WES. I am looking to apply through Express entry under FSW program.

I have few questions about work experience.

I never had any full time work experience. I lived in UK for 5 years from September 2010 to January 2016. Its almost 5 and a half years.
My status in the UK was international student throughout my stay in the UK for more than 5 years. As we already know that international students are only allowed to work part time (20 hours) a week during study and full time work during vacations, and they can only be enrolled in full time studies.

I have 4 years of part time work experience in the UK under NOC 1241 Administrative assistants. If I accumulate the hours of this part time work it would be more than 5000 hours in total. It was like working 20 hours during term time and full time when I had vacations such as summer break, easter break and christmas break etc.

Therefore I have few questions.

1. Does CIC accepts any work experience (part time/full time) while you were enrolled for full time studies? if a candidate apply under FSW program.

2. If they do, would they ask me to provide all the working payslips? Suppose they may ask me the dates about vacations and study period as to when I was allowed to work part time only and when did I work full time during vacations. Will they ask for details if part time or full time work during vacations i was allowed to work full time or not?

I have read it clearly that any work experience gained while enrolled for full time studies is not acceptable under CEC class. But I haven't got any information if it applies the same for FSW candidates.

My confusion is that, any work experience gained while enrolled for studies rather part time or full time is not acceptable if a candidate has done this in Canada, but is that work experience (part time) acceptable if it was gained in any other country while enrolled for full time studies?

Please share your honest opinion and also share the source or official web link from CIC website that could satisfy me.

Any logical answer would be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Zeeshan.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
SagiCZ said:
Just to clarify, by MAY do you mean that it MIGHT be counted or MIGHT NOT be counted or do you mean that it WILL be counted in almost all cases?
you have to prove that the work experience meets IRCC's requirements through documentation, which is not easy, esp. if it is part-time work...