+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Existential Question!

Siar

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
I was wondering one important thing that most of us don't probably often think of. Let's suppose that you are abroad and for whatever reason you lose your passport. What can one do in order to come back to Canada, given the fact that we are now requested to have the Canadian passport ?
Let's suppose for exemple you have copies of important docs such as lost passport, citizenship certificate, etc. while abroad.
Did anyone go through this experience?
Thanks for sharing!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I was wondering one important thing that most of us don't probably often think of. Let's suppose that you are abroad and for whatever reason you lose your passport. What can one do in order to come back to Canada, given the fact that we are now requested to have the Canadian passport ?
Let's suppose for exemple you have copies of important docs such as lost passport, citizenship certificate, etc. while abroad.
Thanks for sharing!
First of all, you might want to look up the definition of "existential question". It does not include "a hypothetical scenario of a possible inconvenience" :)

Also, If you google "lost canadian passport" this is the first link that shows up:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/security/lost-stolen.asp

All the necessary info is in there. Short story is: Just like for any other country, if you lose your passport abroad, go to an embassy or consulate.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Thanks for sharing!
I will worry about that when I have that passport ... until then I won't bother

Siar

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
First of all, you might want to look up the definition of "existential question". It does not include "a hypothetical scenario of a possible inconvenience" :)

Also, If you google "lost canadian passport" this is the first link that shows up:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/security/lost-stolen.asp

All the necessary info is in there. Short story is: Just like for any other country, if you lose your passport abroad, go to an embassy or consulate.
Yes i should have given it another title, but you never know sometimes the boarderline isn't thick enough ✌
However, I'm rather interested in real people's experiences, not in the theory writen in the CIC's website. You and me certainly know that sometimes theory and practice are two different things, at least me I know it. Especially when you have to deal with CIC.
Thanks for your reply though.

Siar

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
I will worry about that when I have that passport ... until then I won't bother
Sure, you don't bother because you are not citizen yet. Me either.
However, it can help someone else who is citizen already. At the end of the day we are in a "citizenship" page.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Sure, you don't bother because you are not citizen yet. Me either.
However, it can help someone else who is citizen already. At the end of the day we are in a "citizenship" page.
Like mentioned in the previous reply : this question can easily answered by googling "Canadian passport lost" - as shocking as it may sound, there are people losing their passports while overseas all year long, and this question must have been asked and answered thousand times ... I don't even need to check to be sure there is an answer on CIC website for "what to do if I lose my passport" ( and I checked, and there is " ... and I don't see why it still needs more discussion

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't think you understand the definition of "existential". Nothing existential about this question - lost/stolen passports abroad happen all of the time. Link provided above explains what you need to do if this ever happens to you (hopefully it doesn't).