+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry after PR card expiry.

Tony20182017

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
AOR Received.
19-09-2017
I am a Canadian PR. And I was already living in Canada and was resident for a little under 3 years in the first 5 year period. So I narrowly missed getting citizenship. I returned back to my native place ( India). And as my PR card had expired while I was in India, I applied for the One time entry visa. I got that and it had a validity for 6 months. Due to unavoidable personal circumstances that period has elapsed, almost 2 months back.

I wish to go back to Canada and renew my PR card. What are my options?

I have read about going to USA on a tourist visa and then crossing the land border over to Canada on a private vehicle..

Does that plan work? Specifically, will it be a problem if they catch me in the border? Assuming I get to Canada, will it be a problem applying for the PR card? Will lack of entry stamp on my passport or significant time elapse ( let's say 3.5 months then ) between date of applying for PR card and last date on (one time entry visa ) would be a problem? Any other issues? Overall is this plan feasible and what should I keep in mind?

Any other options available to me?

Thanks a lot for reading my long question. I would appreciate very much your answers.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I am a Canadian PR. And I was already living in Canada and was resident for a little under 3 years in the first 5 year period. So I narrowly missed getting citizenship. I returned back to my native place ( India). And as my PR card had expired while I was in India, I applied for the One time entry visa. I got that and it had a validity for 6 months. Due to unavoidable personal circumstances that period has elapsed, almost 2 months back.

I have read about going to USA on a tourist visa and then crossing the land border over to Canada on a private vehicle..

Does that plan work? Specifically, will it be a problem if they catch me in the border? Assuming I get to Canada, will it be a problem applying for the PR card? Will lack of entry stamp on my passport or significant time elapse ( let's say 3.5 months then ) between date of applying for PR card and last date on (one time entry visa ) would be a problem? Any other issues? Overall is this plan feasible and what should I keep in mind?

Thanks a lot for reading my long question. I would appreciate very much your answers.
I don't understand your question. Your entry from US land border will be recorded. They don't need to stamp your passport.
As long as you were not reported (if you don't meet your RO, you never stated if your PRTD was under H&C or it's normal because you meet your RO), you can enter into Canada and apply for PR card renewal if you have the required number of physical days in Canada (in the last rolling 5 years).

Do not lie about your days in Canada. They know your border crossing dates regardless of "stamps" on your passport. They don't care if you didn't travel with your PRTD (guessing that's your one time entry "visa"). You applied for it and didn't use it. It's your choice.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014

Apply for a new PRTD assuming you still meet the PR RO?

Tony20182017

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
AOR Received.
19-09-2017
Apply for a new PRTD assuming you still meet the PR RO?
Unfortunately, I cannot as they require 2 years of residence in Canada for the last 5 years, counting back from the date of application. Now I narrowly miss that criterion

Tony20182017

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
AOR Received.
19-09-2017
I don't understand your question. Your entry from US land border will be recorded. They don't need to stamp your passport.
As long as you were not reported (if you don't meet your RO, you never stated if your PRTD was under H&C or it's normal because you meet your RO), you can enter into Canada and apply for PR card renewal if you have the required number of physical days in Canada (in the last rolling 5 years).

Do not lie about your days in Canada. They know your border crossing dates regardless of "stamps" on your passport. They don't care if you didn't travel with your PRTD (guessing that's your one time entry "visa"). You applied for it and didn't use it. It's your choice.
I have never crossed Canada - US border by land. I thought if you pass through by a private car or private taxi, you aren't stopped and therefore no stamp on passport.

So when I applied for PRTD ( one time visa) I fulfilled requirement of 2 out of 5 years residence in Canada. ( it is counted starting from the date of your PRTD application )

I will not fulfill this requirement now. So from your answer I am unsure if i will still be able to cross the border. And no issue at time of PR card renewal inside Canada. Can you elaborate?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have never crossed Canada - US border by land. I thought if you pass through by a private car or private taxi, you aren't stopped and therefore no stamp on passport.

So when I applied for PRTD ( one time visa) I fulfilled requirement of 2 out of 5 years residence in Canada. ( it is counted starting from the date of your PRTD application )

I will not fulfill this requirement now. So from your answer I am unsure if i will still be able to cross the border. And no issue at time of PR card renewal inside Canada. Can you elaborate?
Keep in mind that most passports contain a RFID `chip' and is often scanned by CBSA's system before your car even gets to the primary inspection window.

You WILL be allowed to enter Canada with an expired PR Card at the PoE. Even without one, you just need to show that you have valid PR status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

This is an incorrect understanding of how the border crossing works. Your entry is absolutely recorded. You are certainly stopped and you speak to an agent.

You will be allowed into Canada. The question is whether you will be reported for failing to meet the residency obligation or not. If you are not reported, then you would simply remain in Canada without leaving until you meet the residency obligation and then apply to renew your PR card.

But to be crystal clear, your entry into Canada through the US border will be fact be recorded. Do not misrepresent how long you have been physically in Canada.

Reactions: YVR123

Tony20182017

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
AOR Received.
19-09-2017
This is an incorrect understanding of how the border crossing works. Your entry is absolutely recorded. You are certainly stopped and you speak to an agent.

You will be allowed into Canada. The question is whether you will be reported for failing to meet the residency obligation or not. If you are not reported, then you would simply remain in Canada without leaving until you meet the residency obligation and then apply to renew your PR card.

But to be crystal clear, your entry into Canada through the US border will be fact be recorded. Do not misrepresent how long you have been physically in Canada.
Thanks a lot for the answer.

What's your assessment- whether I will be reported or not. Or in other words do I fulfill residency requirement ? I have lived 2 year 7 month in Canada in my first 5 years.

When I reach there in 2 month from now- about 1 year would have elapsed from the expiry of my PR card.

Tony20182017

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
AOR Received.
19-09-2017
Keep in mind that most passports contain a RFID `chip' and is often scanned by CBSA's system before your car even gets to the primary inspection window.

You WILL be allowed to enter Canada with an expired PR Card at the PoE. Even without one, you just need to show that you have valid PR status.
Thanks for you answer.

What's your assessment- whether I will be reported or not. Or in other words will I have valid PR status ? I have lived 2 year 7 month in Canada in my first 5 years.

When I reach there in 2 month from now- about 1 year would have elapsed from the expiry of my PR card.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks a lot for the answer.

What's your assessment- whether I will be reported or not. Or in other words do I fulfill residency requirement ? I have lived 2 year 7 month in Canada in my first 5 years.

What matters for determining whether you meet the residency obligation is how many days you have lived in Canada in the previous five years (not in your first five years).

How many residency days do you have in Canada within the last five years?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

If you applied for, and received a PRTD that is not a visa, since this is only available to a PR (who dot need or qualify for a visa).

Tony20182017

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
AOR Received.
19-09-2017
What matters for determining whether you meet the residency obligation is how many days you have lived in Canada in the previous five years (not in your first five years).

How many residency days do you have in Canada within the last five years?
I have lived less than 2 years in Canada, counting last 5 years from now.

Tony20182017

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
AOR Received.
19-09-2017
If you applied for, and received a PRTD that is not a visa, since this is only available to a PR (who dot need or qualify for a visa).
Yes. So that's a one time entry pass for PR.

And that's what I am. My PR card had expired while I was outside Canada. I applied for and received PRTD. I missed going to Canada by the last date mentioned in the PRTD document.

Right now, I have lived less than 5 years in Canada, counting past 5 years from now. ( Needless to say I did lived more than 5 years in Canda when I applied for PRTD and that's what I received it)

So that's my main question. If I go to Canada via land border from America, will I receive PR card based on my situation ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes. So that's a one time entry pass for PR.

And that's what I am. My PR card had expired while I was outside Canada. I applied for and received PRTD. I missed going to Canada by the last date mentioned in the PRTD document.

Right now, I have lived less than 5 years in Canada, counting past 5 years from now. ( Needless to say I did lived more than 5 years in Canda when I applied for PRTD and that's what I received it)

So that's my main question. If I go to Canada via land border from America, will I receive PR card based on my situation ?
No one can answer this question. It depends on whether your are reported at the border or not on entry. Assuming you are not reported, it then depends on you remaining in Canada without leaving until you meet the residency obligation and can apply to renew your PR card.

So it's possible you will be in a position to renew your PR card in the future but not guaranteed.

Tony20182017

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
AOR Received.
19-09-2017
No one can answer this question. It depends on whether your are reported at the border or not on entry. Assuming you are not reported, it then depends on you remaining in Canada without leaving until you meet the residency obligation and can apply to renew your PR card.

So it's possible you will be in a position to renew your PR card in the future but not guaranteed.
Ok, thank you.