+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada

edacaret

Star Member
Jan 18, 2016
Hi everyone, I just received my visa which expires November 25. I have a family of 3 small kids and my wife who is Canadian citizen. I'm from Guatemala were we currently live. We are headed to Calgary around late October but I feel would be a good idea if I go first to look for a job, a place for our family to live, open bank account, look into schools, get special winter clothes and basically get as much as I can ready before my kids and wife get there to help in the transition to a new country and for them to be more comfortable. Maybe I get there around 2 maybe 3 weeks before them and hope this is a good idea
About work, I understand when entering immigration in Canada I'll receive some documents which are my work permit or residency which allow me to work is that right? After that is there any other procedures or documents I need to process once I'm in Canada for me to get settled, get a job etc? How is the process of registering the kids (speak almost only Spanish right now, they are 4, 5 and 6 yrs old) into a school or is it just based where we'll be living?

Ill appreciate help, recommendations or any information

thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need a SIN (social insurance number) to work. You can apply for a SIN as soon as you land - sometimes even at the airport.

If your children will be attending public school, which schools they will be able to attend will be determined by where you end up living.