+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada with work permit and B-1 TRV

fernando_acr

Feb 7, 2020
Hi everyone, my Worker (W-1) TRV has expired, but I have a Business visitor (B-1) TRV valid until 2029. I'm planning a trip to my home country to visit my family. Does anyone know if I can use the B-1 TRV and work permit to re-enter Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone, my Worker (W-1) TRV has expired, but I have a Business visitor (B-1) TRV valid until 2029. I'm planning a trip to my home country to visit my family. Does anyone know if I can use the B-1 TRV and work permit to re-enter Canada?
A work permit is not a TRV and it has expired so not relevant. Airlines may not let you board without return ticket. CBSA may question your purpose of entering if you cannot work, and want proof of business activities on B-1. May want to see proof of leaving with return ticket.

fernando_acr

Feb 7, 2020
A work permit is not a TRV and it has expired so not relevant. Airlines may not let you board without return ticket. CBSA may question your purpose of entering if you cannot work, and want proof of business activities on B-1. May want to see proof of leaving with return ticket.
I forgot to mention that my work permit is still valid, I recently extended it. It’s the W-1 TRV that has expired. @Naturgrl

ChrisMills

Dec 16, 2023
A work permit doesn’t allow entry into Canada. You need a TRV. So if expired then if you leave, you cannot re-enter Canada.
Let me clarify, because I am in the exact same situation, hence have the same question:

Fernando has 3 items:

B-1 (not expired)
W-1 (expired)
Work permit (not expired)

Can he re-enter the country on his B-1, without being subject to any restrictions on his time of stay, as would be the case if he did not have the work permit?