+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering canada from USA via road - Fail to meet PR Obligations

Coolj

Sep 15, 2012
Dear All & Leon,

Need your advice and inputs on this one so I can migrate to Canada.
Honestly, I don't meet the PR obligations and now while my PR is about to expire in August 2014. Myself and family wish to go back to Canada
and are taking the risk to drive via US border and get into Canada a month before our PR expires. Please can I have some inputs on what should I considering doing so that I am able get through the immigration offers without being reported.

Which bridge should be safer to take ?
Would renting a car and driving through help or rather I have some of my friends pick us up ?

Looking forward to your comments as I am planning my move. Thank you everyone in advance.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dont worry nothing will happen, they'll just give you a warning and let you enter. They do it 99.9% of the time

yadi

Mar 17, 2013
I am just wondering how can you get a car in US and drive to Canada.
I guess one trip car rental may be an option

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nobody knows your chances at the border as it depends on which CBSA officer you find and if they decide to report you or not. So all luck of the draw. It doesn't matter if you have your own car or get a ride. However be careful whom you cross the border with - if someone in the car has any legal issues you may end up stuck for a long time!

dombledore

Aug 16, 2013
Msafiri said:
Nobody knows your chances at the border as it depends on which CBSA officer you find and if they decide to report you or not. So all luck of the draw. It doesn't matter if you have your own car or get a ride. However be careful whom you cross the border with - if someone in the car has any legal issues you may end up stuck for a long time!

Hi,

I have a very similar case for my dad. I need your suggestion on it or any help will be appreciated !!
My dad's PR card has expired on Jul/2013. And actually he got lucky to come inside Canada by air right before his PR card expired without any hassle even though he didn't meet the 730 days residency obligation. (he just scanned his valid PR passing through the customs electronically in YVR).
However, due to my grandparent's emergency, as the eldest son he has to go back for taking care of the funeral and cemetory stuff. Now everything is done, and he would like to come back with expired PR card.
I've read several threads that he can actually come back by vehicle even if his PR card expired.
So I plan to go to US and drive him back from Seattle ( I do hold a valid PR so does my mom). Is it the best way we should try ? Also, any documents we need to prepare in case we're stuck in the customs?

Thanks in advance!

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can only make a guess about the situation what would happen when he plans to return to Canada with the expired card.

1. Probably he may be not allowed to board the airplane from his home country. But if the airline traffic staff, while check in, does not find the PR Card is expired, he could get into the flight and reach Seattle.

2. If your dad keep any proof that he attended his father's funeral, the CBSA may (?) permit him without report. But, it is only my guess, whereas it is up to the discretion of the officer at the border, whether he should report or not. However, your dad will definitely be allowed to enter Canada either trouble free or with some trouble for future like appeal.

3. Everything depends on his luck!!.

dombledore

Aug 16, 2013
thanks for your input!
I think we can only bet on his luck and he is coming back next week. I'll share the results then :)

parkarasif

Star Member
May 2, 2008
My friend live in USA and his wife and kids are in TORONTO area whenever he have to visit them his wife drive to USA( BUFFALO) and they drive back to CANADA .Every time CBSA want to see PR card and ask when they left CANADA and his wife say yesterday , he scanned their PR and they are good to go. His PR card is valid but he doesn't fulfill RO.

Hope that helps.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
parkarasif said:
My friend live in USA and his wife and kids are in TORONTO area whenever he have to visit them his wife drive to USA( BUFFALO) and they drive back to CANADA .Every time CBSA want to see PR card and ask when they left CANADA and his wife say yesterday , he scanned their PR and they are good to go. His PR card is valid but he doesn't fulfill RO.

Hope that helps.
Yep, it helps because when your friend is due to renew his PR card, he can try to 'finagle' his way past CIC. I bet they aren't as easily 'tricked' as CBSA though ;)

dombledore

Aug 16, 2013
:D

Sorry for this late update! My dad luckily passed through the CBSA without any problem.
we didn't show the customs his expired PR card, but his immigration paper IMM 1000? (not sure). And the customs didn't ask any specific question just let us pass :). We got lucky.

wish that helps.

good luck!

Sydkadra

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
Dear All
Did any one experience the same situation and use the Bus to enter Canada through Land Border of USA showing the CBSA only the Immigration Landing Paper IMM 5000 (the number may different) because hiring a cab in US will be difficult or may be treated different than own car. The question is that whether the Car/vehicle thought which we enter Canada must be in our name or it can be of any other person. What I mean that if we come upto the land border in US and get any car of Canada to enter Canada using the immigration paper not the PR Card. Please put your thoughts and experiences, it will be much helpful.
Thanks and Regards

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sydkadra said:
Dear All
Did any one experience the same situation and use the Bus to enter Canada through Land Border of USA showing the CBSA only the Immigration Landing Paper IMM 5000 (the number may different) because hiring a cab in US will be difficult or may be treated different than own car. The question is that whether the Car/vehicle thought which we enter Canada must be in our name or it can be of any other person. What I mean that if we come upto the land border in US and get any car of Canada to enter Canada using the immigration paper not the PR Card. Please put your thoughts and experiences, it will be much helpful.
Thanks and Regards
PR card required only if using commercial transportation. It is required by the transporting company itself, not cbsa.

Sydkadra

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
Thank you for the reply
Can you please elaborate further, if we hire a Cab in US to enter in Canada through the land border, then the CBSA officials will see the PR cards or the Immigration papers only and whether they can identify by seeing the landing papers whether the person is meeting RO or not. The other thing is that, if the PR card is for the Bus operator, my question is that whether the CBSA officials at the border will want to see the PR card or Immigration papers. Thank you for your clarification.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sydkadra said:
Thank you for the reply
Can you please elaborate further, if we hire a Cab in US to enter in Canada through the land border, then the CBSA officials will see the PR cards or the Immigration papers only and whether they can identify by seeing the landing papers whether the person is meeting RO or not. The other thing is that, if the PR card is for the Bus operator, my question is that whether the CBSA officials at the border will want to see the PR card or Immigration papers. Thank you for your clarification.
Assuming CBSA officials will want to see your PR card if you come by bus. They will know you must have a PR card - otherwise the bus company wouldn't have let you board.