+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

English Language test for Citizenship application

saggi_amy

Feb 19, 2010
Hello Everyone,

We are preparing the citizenship application for my husband and noticed that he needs to submit a proof for english proficiency. I am wondering if he can attach the certificate he got from YMCA when he first came to Canada and attended their program for new immigrants. He went through a listening writing and speaking test and scored good marks. Not sure if that's a valid proof though. If not what other options does he have?

Thanks in advance.

FL1040

Dec 30, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
saggi_amy said:
Hello Everyone,

We are preparing the citizenship application for my husband and noticed that he needs to submit a proof for english proficiency. I am wondering if he can attach the certificate he got from YMCA when he first came to Canada and attended their program for new immigrants. He went through a listening writing and speaking test and scored good marks. Not sure if that's a valid proof though. If not what other options does he have?

Thanks in advance.
Not quite sure, it has to be a test recognized by CIC...check the CIC page, they´ll tell you which tests are acceptable

dodan

Mar 7, 2010
usa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not sure if you are referring to the assessment on English language based on which you are recommended LINC course - unfortunately it is not acceptable.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=594&t=5

Q. Can I provide my LINC/CLIC placement test as as proof I meet the citizenship language requirement?

A. No. You must provide evidence that you have reached CLB/NCLC 4 or higher in speaking and listening as part of a LINC/CLIC course to meet the language ability requirement for your citizenship. A placement test done by a LINC/CLIC assessment center is not accepted as evidence.

canadp

Feb 25, 2009
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2009
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2010
LANDED..........
29-07-2010
dodan said:
Not sure if you are referring to the assessment on English language based on which you are recommended LINC course - unfortunately it is not acceptable.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=594&t=5

Q. Can I provide my LINC/CLIC placement test as as proof I meet the citizenship language requirement?

A. No. You must provide evidence that you have reached CLB/NCLC 4 or higher in speaking and listening as part of a LINC/CLIC course to meet the language ability requirement for your citizenship. A placement test done by a LINC/CLIC assessment center is not accepted as evidence.
When you join LINC before they put you in a english course level, they ask for exam and once you clear the exam they decide whether to put a person into 2 level course or 3 or 4 level.

So I believe, if he pass the exams and get 4 or higher than probably he can get certificate.

Please contact LINC and ask them. They would be willing to help you out.

dodan

Mar 7, 2010
usa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had called and was quoted this link by them. They said... with that bench-marking, one has to attend the course and get a certificate of completion with the required level which will be accepted. The assessment, even if shows a clb of 4 or higher is not acceptable.

Btw, this is certainly an issue with the candidates who over-qualify by scoring more than level 5 as the associated training centres are not enrolling them into the course. Those candidates will have to look out for other courses.

The landed immigrants must have one from IELTS or something, a copy of which will work (even if expired).

Hope this helps.

canadp

Feb 25, 2009
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2009
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2010
LANDED..........
29-07-2010
dodan said:
I had called and was quoted this link by them. They said... with that bench-marking, one has to attend the course and get a certificate of completion with the required level which will be accepted. The assessment, even if shows a clb of 4 or higher is not acceptable.

Btw, this is certainly an issue with the candidates who over-qualify by scoring more than level 5 as the associated training centres are not enrolling them into the course. Those candidates will have to look out for other courses.

The landed immigrants must have one from IELTS or something, a copy of which will work (even if expired).

Hope this helps.
The only option is to give IELTS.

He can easily get 5 or higher.

But still need to prepare for at least 2 weeks to practice.
Thanks