+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer's question about paying a home support worker

biggyboy35058

Jan 23, 2023
I Am a Canadian employer, trying to find an answer about paying my home support worker who has arrived in Canada, and is now waiting to begin his employment with me. I am currently considered disabled, and waiting for a surgery date for knee replacement. I would like to have my support worker begin caring for me now, while I am waiting for surgery, as it is difficult for me to take care of myself (I live alone). My question is: the time he is employed for me (several months?) BEFORE I receive my surgery, will IRCC accept that employment time as part of his 12 months of legitimate qualifying work time in order to qualify for his PR (Gaining experience category)? I do not want to give him incorrect information about this.. any response would be appreciated.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I Am a Canadian employer, trying to find an answer about paying my home support worker who has arrived in Canada, and is now waiting to begin his employment with me. I am currently considered disabled, and waiting for a surgery date for knee replacement. I would like to have my support worker begin caring for me now, while I am waiting for surgery, as it is difficult for me to take care of myself (I live alone). My question is: the time he is employed for me (several months?) BEFORE I receive my surgery, will IRCC accept that employment time as part of his 12 months of legitimate qualifying work time in order to qualify for his PR (Gaining experience category)? I do not want to give him incorrect information about this.. any response would be appreciated.
So your home support worker has an approved work permit? Why is he waiting to begin employment? If you are his employer, why cannot he work now? It would count.

biggyboy35058

Jan 23, 2023
My HSW arrived in Canada, and has an approved work permit. The reason for the waiting is I had to secure a support worker ahead of time, ensure that his IRCC application will be accepted, and then after he arrived, be placed on the waiting list for knee replacement surgery. So now he is staying at my home, and I would like to begin his employment now, but i want to give him the correct information regarding whether IRCC will include his employment time BEFORE I have the surgery, as well as his employment taking care of me during my convalescence time. My concern is that when he submits his 12 months proof of employment, that both the before and after surgery employment time will qualify. His offer of employment originally was for the post surgery time period, but I need his care now also. I hope this all makes sense..

Sophia16

Star Member
Oct 12, 2023
My HSW arrived in Canada, and has an approved work permit. The reason for the waiting is I had to secure a support worker ahead of time, ensure that his IRCC application will be accepted, and then after he arrived, be placed on the waiting list for knee replacement surgery. So now he is staying at my home, and I would like to begin his employment now, but i want to give him the correct information regarding whether IRCC will include his employment time BEFORE I have the surgery, as well as his employment taking care of me during my convalescence time. My concern is that when he submits his 12 months proof of employment, that both the before and after surgery employment time will qualify. His offer of employment originally was for the post surgery time period, but I need his care now also. I hope this all makes sense..

I believe it will start counting from the day he starts caring for you and you pay his salary.
Make sure he pays his taxes too, it's part of the documents he will need to show proof of work experience.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You must register with the CRA and get a business number for payroll , specifically for a caregiver . They are different from a business payroll account . At the same time ask the the agent to mail out a full PD7A. It’s a full account statement you’ll need to provide to the IRCC . PD7A is also a payment voucher . You specifically need a full account statement