+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
It is interesting how by different points of views the conclusion is still the same. The expectations are that the actual cut off date will be sometime in the second half of the year.

mature

Sep 15, 2014
I am not a lawyer and I did not attend the CBA Conference so I do not know if the issue was raised by a participant. I thought it would be self evident that lawyers working with PR/Perspective citizens would grasp the opportunity to raise the issue either to the Minister or to CIC officials. After all lawyers make a living out of people who are in agony concerning the actual effective date of that law. Also media people could also take advantsage of the occassion.
I can not be 100% sure but it seems I was wrong. Apparently this is not something of interest to the average Canadian including the average client of an immigration lawyer.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
mature said:
I am not a lawyer and I did not attend the CBA Conference so I do not know if the issue was raised by a participant. I thought it would be self evident that lawyers working with PR/Perspective citizens would grasp the opportunity to raise the issue either to the Minister or to CIC officials. After all lawyers make a living out of people who are in agony concerning the actual effective date of that law. Also media people could also take advantsage of the occassion.
I can not be 100% sure but it seems I was wrong. Apparently this is not something of interest to the average Canadian including the average client of an immigration lawyer.
My guess is someone asked the question. If the Minister gave a definitive response, that would be news. My impression is that Chris Alexander is not capable of giving a direct, definitive response, if he wanted to, and regarding this question he probably does not want to reveal any more than they revealed in June 2014.

Not every word the Minister utters at a conference like this is news. Moreover, immigration and citizenship lawyers are mostly immigration lawyers. The amount of citizenship work they do compared to immigration work is probably a rather small percentage. And with the Express Entry program surging ahead, I am sure that most lawyers there were far more interested in that program alone, let alone other aspects of immigration law, than the changes to the Citizenship Act which are not at all news . . . as noted before, these changes became law last June 19th.

Of course for those who may or may not get to apply this summer, or may have to wait another year, the actual date the revised grant citizenship requirements take effect is a big, big deal.

But there is still no news. Did not happen May 8th, we know that. But we do not know for sure it will not be May 15th, June 9th, July 1st, July 17th, or . . . we do not know what we do not know . . . despite all the speculation otherwise.

By the way, for what it's worth, to be clear, I am NOT a Canadian lawyer. A jurist in education, training, and trade indeed, but not a Canadian lawyer. A not-so-good guy, perhaps, but not a Canadian lawyer. Cold? Yeah, that probably describes me, but not a Canadian lawyer.

And that crystal ball I was looking into, turns out it was a novelty gift, an old Magic Eight Ball, if anyone here remembers those toys, plenty of fun for kids and fooling, not much for forecasting things like when the Governor in Council will act. Which leaves things back at we don't know what we don't know.

deen1981

May 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I checked the physical presence requirement today on CIC site and it says as follows:

Time you have lived in Canada

You must have resided in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before you apply. This does not apply to children under 18.

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
RAY2112 said:
After the elections 8) :p
This is my proposal. The government know very will this bill will affect the conservative party for decades and there are millions of new Canadians who will remember this bill for decades. Not only those new Canadians but also their siblings. But this is not the imminent problem now. The problem is the very bad performance of PCP in the provincial elections. All what was done to attract a certain type of voter did not work. In addition the fear of different bills which threatens people to revoke the citizenship or prevent them to practice a normal life and travel whenever and or wherever they want. These has a serious impact on a respectable number of voters who feel they should take a step to change this governmental attitude. If they apply this bill before elections most of their candidates including those who carry turbans on their heads and have non European backgrounds would face a difficult time.

buddhaB

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
surgi said:
This is my proposal. The government know very will this bill will affect the conservative party for decades and there are millions of new Canadians who will remember this bill for decades. Not only those new Canadians but also their siblings. But this is not the imminent problem now. The problem is the very bad performance of PCP in the provincial elections. All what was done to attract a certain type of voter did not work. In addition the fear of different bills which threatens people to revoke the citizenship or prevent them to practice a normal life and travel whenever and or wherever they want. These has a serious impact on a respectable number of voters who feel they should take a step to change this governmental attitude. If they apply this bill before elections most of their candidates including those who carry turbans on their heads and have non European backgrounds would face a difficult time.
This is what I say too.

This bill will make people lose time and money.It will create more hostile environment toward the Conservative party and the government.
People will become more afraid of the government of Canada and they`ll try to protect themselves by maybe cheating the government more,or by moving elsewhere with their Canadian passports or by doing something else unpleasant.

The conservative government is becoming more fascist than ever.I am not saying rules should not be more strict.What I am saying is the government should be fair to everyone.If the government does not want to be democratic and equal.Then it is a lose-lose game.People are going to try not to pay taxes,and cheat the government as much as they can to protect themselves or for revenge.

This new residency requirements must apply to citizens who become PRs after the bill becomes fully law.This is how you equally approach everyone.Then the government can say we are sorry,you became PR after the citizenship law changed therefore you need to be PR in Canada for 4 years....

Usually people who want not to be equal with immigrants support this Bill fully and support the Conservative government`s mindset.

Note: Hopefully these posts will not be used against people to blame them as "terrorists" by the government in the future.

Thanks.

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
buddhaB said:
Usually people who want not to be equal with immigrants support this Bill fully and support the Conservative government`s mindset.

Note: Hopefully these posts will not be used against people to blame them as "terrorists" by the government in the future.

Thanks.
Oh my GOD!!! blame or terrorists!!! just when you say your opinion??!!! They would be very narrow minded people!!! why we left our home countries and came here? just to say what we believe in a decent and respectable way. They can take this as advice too and sensor to the people feelings. Also we should not use any big words or accusations because they do what they think is right even if it is wrong!!!

buddhaB

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
surgi said:
Oh my GOD!!! blame or terrorists!!! just when you say your opinion??!!! They would be very narrow minded people!!! why we left our home countries and came here? just to say what we believe in a decent and respectable way. They can take this as advice too and sensor to the people feelings. Also we should not use any big words or accusations because they do what they think is right even if it is wrong!!!
Recently Bill C51 became fully law.

So maybe not now,but in the near future, "free speech" might be different in Canada.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
My fellow friends,
We need to stop talking in a hostile way.
Let's no forget that canada gave us shelter.
So let's talk positive only.

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
buddhaB said:
Recently Bill C51 became fully law.

So maybe not now,but in the near future, "free speech" might be different in Canada.
Since you dislike most of the things here, I am just wondering if anyone has forced you to stay in Canada?

asaif

Sep 3, 2010
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If there's something that you don't like in Canada (which is totally normal) you should neither curse nor leave it. The correct way to deal with things that you don't like is to try to change them. Fortunately, there are several peaceful ways to change, chief among them is to vote to select your representatives in all levels of the government. You can also practice your civil rights protected by the constitution to disseminate your ideas and invoke reaction against what you perceive as injustice. Last put not least, Canada has a strong judicial system. Use it if you think your rights or freedoms are violated.

buddhaB

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
OP_POP said:
Since you dislike most of the things here, I am just wondering if anyone has forced you to stay in Canada?
1) too much wondering about other people`s lives is not good for you.
2) why you care? who are you? I beg your pardon.
3) if somebody does not have the same opinion with you,it does not mean that person does not like " most things" here.
4) tell me what I do not like.

If a law might be considered a "threat" to immigrants,I am always against it.No immigrant is a puppet or a server in this country.

Thanks.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
ottomancan said:
so for now as I see we have 3 important dates:
1) June 19th
2) July 1st
3) August 1st

Other than God knows
June 19 is not a date. IMO only

David_Parker

Star Member
Mar 29, 2015
Politren said:
I've conducted a historical research with similar complicated Laws in the past comparing a lot of similar characteristics between them.

The conclusion from my research is that this types of Laws are very likely to be delayed.
For the same reason me personally I'm convinced that this Law will not be enforced before July.

July 1st is the first date that worries me, because I will be eligible to apply on June 27th and I have to sign the application on June 28th, so practically there is not much time my application to reach CIC Sydney before July 1st.

Because of that I will be forced to take another risk by applying with the minimum physical days without extra buffer of days.

But generally speaking I also hear a lot of expectations that that this Law will not be enforced soon.

This is not surprising fact for me that there is no official news. It is too early to expect something.
Still better chances than July 7, 2015 :(