28/11/11, recieved by VO 12/12/11
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
ItsBeenLongNow said:
Hi Sonea, just a generalized question, how do you like it there in Edmonton/Canada over all
how does it compares to from where you moved there from, one year down the line
what do you think, over all are you very well satisfied with the move/migration

thanks
since i moved from England last year and I've seen recession time over there even double dip recession, the best thing i like here is that the job market is way too better than in England and recession has not effected this country much.

we get to see many Desi people and halal restaurants (very cheap) in England but here you don't find much, here we have halal restaurants but they are expensive as compared to those in England, the reason behind this is that halal meat/chicken is expensive here in England we used to pay £6 for 3 halal chickens and here one chicken is around $10

same is the case with mobile phone deals you get free cellphone with a package which is very much affordable in England you get blackberry phone free with a package of £15 a month which includes around 100 mins/unlimited or 500 texts everywhere in UK and 100 MB data along with BBM and free iPhone for just £30 package (with contract for 1 to 2 year), whereas in Canada you have to pay too much for the packages as well as you put some upfront money to get a cellphone along with calling package. mobile's network coverage is also not very good here some companies have no network at a few places and you switch to roaming at these places, which again costs you too much.

cable service is cheap in UK sky TV, phone and broadband all cost you £30 in total excluding any desi/sports or other special channels you want but those too are cheap to add in your regular package.. but here it costs you around $100 for basic TV, broadband and phone with free Local calls only (here local means only within the city not even within the province).

England's banking is way too advanced than in Canada. UK banks have introduced security devices which look like a calculator, these are linked with your bank account so that you can make transactions online securely. You can transfer money/make payments online from your bank account to any other bank account, without visiting bank branch but in Canada you can only send money if you have receivers e mail address (online) which is an old and insecure practice. Canadian banks charge you for every transaction (including transactions through ATM cards, cheques and online money transfer) or you have to pay for a monthly package which allows certain limit of transactions to be free. Also if you use any other ATM machine (other than your bank's) you get a charge of $2.5. This service was free, through "one-link system", even in Pakistan years ago..

online shopping is easier in England but in Canada its not much developed.

Canada is expensive than the neighboring country USA. i was looking for a stroller at toyrus.com (american site) which was priced US$191 (which is around $198 CAD) and at toysrus.ca (Canadian site) the same stroller from same company and same model was $325 CAD.

city to city public transport system is cheaper and better by train/bus or plane in England. in Canada its expensive probably because its a vast country unlike UK where you can drive from Scotland to London in around 8 hours

England education system and medical is world class. for medical they deduct money each month from your salary as National Insurance to cover all your medical. dental services and medicines are free for under 18 and adults need to pay for their medicine if the cost of the medicine is more than £7 (difference only). in Canada they deduct some money too but they don't cover dental services and medicines even for kids.

Dressing/Fashion sense is better among people in England but in Canada you don't see people dressed up nicely its more like on the casual side.

Girls are prettier in England :D

The good thing is that no doubt Canada is expensive but at the same time salaries are higher so you can afford everything easily. as i said Job prospects are much much better. You have all rights while on PR except for voting but in England if you are a Permanent Resident (not a citizen) you only have the right to vote but you don't have other rights like claiming job seeker or unemployment allowance, child tax benefits, housing benefits and so on.

in England people are way tooooo racist but in Canada people are friendly and helpful.

In England citizenship process is hard and would cost you everything you have by the time you become a citizen. you can't save any penny while you are on PR. you have to work very very hard over there like if you are in a customer dealing job and someone complaints you can loose your job straight away for a minor thing.

I like it here as life is pretty tension free in England all i had to worry about was Extension of PR status and the cost involved..
also no job security specially in present situation.
i hated red old brick congested houses and historical building everywhere. now i hate history as I've had enough of it. :)
I have family in US and Canada so I don't feel lonely anymore.
my kids have adjusted very well, husband has a good job, lifestyle is good, we don't have to worry about maintaining our immigration status all the time and paying constantly to Government for nothing so all these positive things have made Canada, the best choice for us

TomDick

Oct 23, 2009
sonea said:
since i moved from England last year and I've seen recession time over there even double dip recession, the best thing i like here is that the job market is way too better than in England and recession has not effected this country much.

we get to see many Desi people and halal restaurants (very cheap) in England but here you don't find much, here we have halal restaurants but they are expensive as compared to those in England, the reason behind this is that halal meat/chicken is expensive here in England we used to pay £6 for 3 halal chickens and here one chicken is around $10

same is the case with mobile phone deals you get free cellphone with a package which is very much affordable in England you get blackberry phone free with a package of £15 a month which includes around 100 mins/unlimited or 500 texts everywhere in UK and 100 MB data along with BBM and free iPhone for just £30 package (with contract for 1 to 2 year), whereas in Canada you have to pay too much for the packages as well as you put some upfront money to get a cellphone along with calling package. mobile's network coverage is also not very good here some companies have no network at a few places and you switch to roaming at these places, which again costs you too much.

cable service is cheap in UK sky TV, phone and broadband all cost you £30 in total excluding any desi/sports or other special channels you want but those too are cheap to add in your regular package.. but here it costs you around $100 for basic TV, broadband and phone with free Local calls only (here local means only within the city not even within the province).

England's banking is way too advanced than in Canada. UK banks have introduced security devices which look like a calculator, these are linked with your bank account so that you can make transactions online securely. You can transfer money/make payments online from your bank account to any other bank account, without visiting bank branch but in Canada you can only send money if you have receivers e mail address (online) which is an old and insecure practice. Canadian banks charge you for every transaction (including transactions through ATM cards, cheques and online money transfer) or you have to pay for a monthly package which allows certain limit of transactions to be free. Also if you use any other ATM machine (other than your bank's) you get a charge of $2.5. This service was free, through "one-link system", even in Pakistan years ago..

Canada is expensive than the neighboring country USA. i was looking for a stroller at toyrus.com (american site) which was priced US$191 (which is around $198 CAD) and at toysrus.ca (Canadian site) the same stroller from same company and same model was $325 CAD.

city to city public transport system is cheaper and better by train/bus or plane in England. in Canada its expensive probably because its a vast country unlike UK where you can drive from Scotland to London in around 8 hours

England education system and medical is world class. for medical they deduct money each month from your salary as National Insurance to cover all your medical. dental services and medicines are free for under 18 and adults need to pay for their medicine if the cost of the medicine is more than £7 (difference only). in Canada they deduct some money too but they don't cover dental services and medicines even for kids.

Dressing/Fashion sense is better among people in England but in Canada you don't see people dressed up nicely its more like on the casual side.

The good thing is that no doubt Canada is expensive but at the same time salaries are higher so you can afford everything easily. as i said Job prospects are much much better. You have all rights while on PR except for voting but in England if you are a Permanent Resident (not a citizen) you only have the right to vote but you don't have other rights like claiming job seeker or unemployment allowance, child tax benefits, housing benefits and so on.

in England people are way tooooo racist but in Canada people are friendly and helpful.

In England citizenship process is hard and would cost you everything you have by the time you become a citizen. you can't save any penny while you are on PR. you have to work very very hard over there like if you are in a customer dealing job and someone complaints you can loose your job straight away for a minor thing.

I like it here as life is pretty tension free in England all i had to worry about was Extension of PR status and the cost involved..
i hated red old brick congested houses and historical building everywhere. now i hate history as I've had enough of it. :)
my kids have adjusted very well, husband has a good job, lifestyle is good, we don't have to worry about maintaining our immigration status all the time and paying constantly to Government for nothing so all these positive things have made Canada, the best choice for us

Thanks for the detailed explanation.Would you mind disclosing for how many years did you live in UK ?

The reason I am asking is my brother wants to immigrate to Canada ,living in UK from the last 14 years ,already a British citizen.Due to spending so much time there he is finding it hard to move to a new place like Canada.

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
yes we lived there for 3 years initially had Tier 1 General migrant visa for 3 years (HSMP) then we got 2 year extension last year, just 3 weeks before getting Canadian PR visa, for which we spent around £4000. My husband was working in Lloyds bank but still we preferred to move to Canada as there was no scope for getting promotions or switch job until you have indefinite leave to remain (i.e without any visa end date)

since your brother is a British citizen, he might have better chances there.. we had family here and different circumstances so it was easy for us to make a decision.. Also present situation is not very favorable for any one in anyway over there.

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sonea said:

Thanks Sonea for such detailed reply

prospective

Aug 27, 2009
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2009
Doc's Request.
23-11-2009
AOR Received.
26-04-2010
Med's Request
Oct 24, 2012
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2013
LANDED..........
September 2013
sonea said:
It's not like that you will find all type of landlords some wouldn't want kids at their property some would like to know about your previous rentals etc.. They ask you for a deposit money which is equal to one month's rent which is refundable is you have not don't any damages to the property, paid electric bill and have completed your rent term as mentioned in your agreement.. Deposit money can be equal to or less but can't be more than a month's rent. you and the landlord will sign a tenancy agreement and all your and landlords rights and responsibilities will be mentioned in it so no chance of insecurity at either side ..
So if i discuss with you one of the few things that needs to be done afer arrival in sequence would be:
1. SIN
2. Bank Account
3. Health Insurance Plan
4. Phone
5. Apartment search
6. Job search

Anything you feel needs to be added to the list or sequence needs to be changed?

edmonta

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
0711 & 9212
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-May-2010
Doc's Request.
30-sept-2010
AOR Received.
1st-30th Sept 2010,2nd-08th June 2011
IELTS Request
done-7 band
File Transfer...
dont know what is this..in process from 26 april 2012
Med's Request
19-July-2013
Med's Done....
30-July-2013,ECAS updated with Medicals received on 18-Aug-2013
Interview........
not been called for..
Passport Req..
19-July-13
VISA ISSUED...
On 4th October 2013
LANDED..........
July 2014
@sonea,
you are doing a great job in this forum.Infact I am here in the forum from last three years but I dint get any genuine info. regarding Edmonton.
As you know,my username itself is Edmonta so you can guess how much I am interested about Edmonton.
I am an engineer working in production and manufacturing of the product-glass/ceramics.Can you tell me how good are the chances for Job in the same field.I know Engg.is a regulated profession but I am not going to find a job based on designing/ P. engg. type but atleast I can get the job as a production supervisor or production technician..whats ur say on this..I dont know if you are having such engg. background knowledge/Job knowledge but can you help me in this regard?
Do you know somebody in Edmonton..migrated from Asian countries and getting good jobs in mfg field..
reg,
Edmonta

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
prospective said:
So if i discuss with you one of the few things that needs to be done afer arrival in sequence would be:
1. SIN
2. Bank Account
3. Health Insurance Plan
4. Phone
5. Apartment search
6. Job search

Anything you feel needs to be added to the list or sequence needs to be changed?
U can start job and apartment search a few days before arriving and keep "bank account" on priority as to secure your money and any jewelry. check rbc's website for new immigrant packages, so that you already know what you will get from them. I'm mentioning RBC as its newcomers package is the best among all you get free locker for 1 year, bank account with unlimited transactions for 6 months, and u have a good chance to get credit card approval, which helps you build your credit history.

Then u can do the rest of the chores like apply for SIN card and medical card. Medical insurance is something else first you need health cards.

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
edmonta said:
@ sonea,
you are doing a great job in this forum.Infact I am here in the forum from last three years but I dint get any genuine info. regarding Edmonton.
As you know,my username itself is Edmonta so you can guess how much I am interested about Edmonton.
I am an engineer working in production and manufacturing of the product-glass/ceramics.Can you tell me how good are the chances for Job in the same field.I know Engg.is a regulated profession but I am not going to find a job based on designing/ P. engg. type but atleast I can get the job as a production supervisor or production technician..whats ur say on this..I dont know if you are having such engg. background knowledge/Job knowledge but can you help me in this regard?
Do you know somebody in Edmonton..migrated from Asian countries and getting good jobs in mfg field..
reg,
Edmonta
Thanks for your appreciation. actually you are right that i don't have any knowledge about your field but I would suggest to search online: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/work/wic-tool.asp

all of the Asians i know here had to upgrade their credentials to get a job in their field.

regards

edmonta

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
0711 & 9212
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-May-2010
Doc's Request.
30-sept-2010
AOR Received.
1st-30th Sept 2010,2nd-08th June 2011
IELTS Request
done-7 band
File Transfer...
dont know what is this..in process from 26 april 2012
Med's Request
19-July-2013
Med's Done....
30-July-2013,ECAS updated with Medicals received on 18-Aug-2013
Interview........
not been called for..
Passport Req..
19-July-13
VISA ISSUED...
On 4th October 2013
LANDED..........
July 2014
sonea said:
Thanks for your appreciation. actually you are right that i don't have any knowledge about your field but I would suggest to search online: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/work/wic-tool.asp

all of the Asians i know here had to upgrade their credentials to get a job in their field.

regards
Thanks Sonea,
I know about WIC tool but it doesnt tell about if we can get those jobs without P.Engg. certification.
How to improve credential for engineering..Any idea..any short term courses?
Reg,
Edmonta

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
edmonta said:
Thanks Sonea,
I know about WIC tool but it doesnt tell about if we can get those jobs without P.Engg. certification.
Reg,
Edmonta
Well P.Eng is an asset ,but its not a MUST requirement for EVERY job.

If you have a mechanical Engineering/chemical engineering background ,you could have pretty good chances of finding job in chemical/oil & gas/energy services companies in AB.My husband did not have P. Eng ,still alhamdolilah he was able to get a management job .

However,having a Canadian certification is always a plus and a key to progress in Canadian job market.Even,my husband who got a job without any Canadian certification,is pursuing an Operations/Quality Management certification.

Hope that helps!

freewilly

Star Member
Jun 6, 2013
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
May 2013//Newborn's MR in Mar 2014
Med's Done....
28th May 2013///Newborn's MED done on 28 Mar 2014
Passport Req..
Sent on 10th Jan 2014// Newborns PP sent on 30th Mar 2014
I am moving to Calgary, Alberta after 3 months (hope so) and then I would be 7 months pregnant. I would have my PR for Canada by then.

1) Would I be covered for my delivery and other medical expenses in the first 2 months?
2) Do I need to inform CIC that I am pregnant (medical already done) to eradicate any issues while landing?

Seniors please comment.

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
freewilly said:
I am moving to Calgary, Alberta after 3 months (hope so) and then I would be 7 months pregnant. I would have my PR for Canada by then.

1) Would I be covered for my delivery and other medical expenses in the first 2 months?
2) Do I need to inform CIC that I am pregnant (medical already done) to eradicate any issues while landing?

Seniors please comment.

1)Yes, as you are moving to AB from outside Canada ,you will have all your med. expenses covered by Alberta Health from day 1.However,it will be better for you ,to apply for Health card as soon as you land here as usually it takes 2 weeks or so for health card to arrive.But,in case if you need to visit a doctor before your health card arrives,you will have to pay the expenses yourself,which will be reimbursed by Alberta Health ,when you get your health card.Just keep the receipts safe for the claim.

2)Nope,you do not require to inform CIC ,however you might need to have a letter from your gynaec. for the airline as some airlines require a written consent from the doctor,for the women who are more than six months pregnant.Before getting your reservation,better check with the specific airline.

All the best!

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
freewilly said:

Seniors please comment.
Newcomer is right just one thing I want to add that you don't get medicines covered on health card some people get insurance from Alberta health which covers prescription medicines but do not cover over the counter or prenatal vitamins specially if you require a halal prenatal vitamin, there is only one brand and it costs $40 for a months dose and its not covered by Alberta health insurance (which is for jobless or for low income families). You need to take these vitamins throughout pregnancy and even after that.

If you or your partner gets a full time job then you will get a better cover for medicines

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
edmonta said:
Thanks Sonea,
Reg,
Edmonta
Newcomer is right again .. Usually they mention in the job details if you require a certification for the position or not.

For up-gradation you can apply for loan or grant (subject to eligibility). Student loans are available interest free whereas you don't pay back anything if you get a grant, it's for people on low income and certain other factors also count. You need to visit the universities to see what program's they offer and then you can apply for loan/grant. They will guide you about the whole process.

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
sonea said:
Newcomer is right just one thing I want to add that you don't get medicines covered on health card some people get insurance from Alberta health which covers prescription medicines but do not cover over the counter or prenatal vitamins specially if you require a halal prenatal vitamin, there is only one brand and it costs $40 for a months dose and its not covered by Alberta health insurance (which is for jobless or for low income families). You need to take these vitamins throughout pregnancy and even after that.

If you or your partner gets a full time job then you will get a better cover for medicines
Thanks Sonea,for your input.Appreciated!

@ freewilly ,I am not 100% sure,as we did not have to buy a health insurance plan, but I have heard that Alberta Blue Cross has one of the cheapest health insurance plans for medicines and some other services ,which are not covered by Alberta Health i.e. dental.