Passport Req..
07-06-2013
how to apply children allowance ? with 2 kids how much one get allowance

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ cimple and respectall, I am also Edmonton bound, could you guys tell me whats your line of work/profession
I am from IT background, did you guys do any research on IT jobs perspective in Edmonton

thanks

cimple

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-08-2008
Med's Done....
22-11-2012
Passport Req..
07-06-2013
being IT professional you should not worry at all. well I am with medical management background

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well thanks for the quick response bro.
Well the term IT used was more in a generalized way, specifically Im an SAP Consultant, I dont know if
there is any market for SAP there in Edmonton, this is what im concerned about

Thanks buddy

respectall

Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 09, 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 2009/ Submitted Apr 09, 2010
AOR Received.
Jul 2010
Med's Request
Jul 22, 2012
Med's Done....
Jul 30, 2012
Passport Req..
Step-1 Nov 20, 2012/ Step-2: Jan 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 26, 2013
cimple said:
I think winter clothes from Pakistan will not work in Canada it is better to buy from there
I discussed the matter with couple of people who were residing in Alberta and found mix type of feed back. Few said to borrow from Pakistan as things are cheaper here whereas some declined. Anyhow, if you have weight option in your luggage then buy.

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
ItsBeenLongNow said:
Well thanks for the quick response bro.
Well the term IT used was more in a generalized way, specifically Im an SAP Consultant, I dont know if
there is any market for SAP there in Edmonton, this is what im concerned about

Thanks buddy
Well you will be surprised to know that in Canada more than 70% of jobs are never advertised .....they get filled up by networking!!!!.In my opinion,the best way to find job in Canada is to do as much research as possible before landing and then choose the "right" place according to your profession.This is the first step towards finding a job.After landing try to build up your network .Do not hesitate to discuss that you are looking for a job with any one be it your friend,neighbour or anyone else you know here.Another important step is to start building your network through "linkedin" which has been proved very beneficial for many people.

When you land here ,immediately try to be in contact with "immigrant settlement organizations"."They will not help you find a job " but they will guide you how to find a job according to Canadian job market,how to develop Canadian style "resume" (not CV).I know about many of those organizations in Calgary,but do not have much idea about other cities.Nevertheless,I am sure there must be some in every city as they are funded by CIC.These type of organizations will provide you the correct information about different professions in Canada and how to prepare yourself according to Canadian job market.

I am not sure about SAP specifically but due to an oil & gas based booming economy in AB,all those jobs who are directly & indirectly related to oil & gas are enough here.In our case,we moved from KSA almost 2 years back .My husband was working at a senior management position there (not oil & gas).Surprsingly he got an excellent job in Calgary,with the same job title/position,just on the 6th day of landing.Alhamdolilah he is still working with the same company,whose main business is to provide services to oil & gas.Similarly my younger brother who moved from Germany ,is a senior software engineer. He also got a Consultant level job within 1.5 months of landing,in a company in Calgary,which mainly designs softwares for oil & gas industry.

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
cimple said:
how to apply children allowance ? with 2 kids how much one get allowance
Once you land here,you can apply for CCTB to CRA by filling in a form and sending them some required docs. i.e. PR card copies,birth cert. for kids ,school records etc.

Well the exact amount is hard to determine and it varies with one s family income,less for more family income and vice versa.However, for your initial CCTB payments,you will be evaluated on the basis of your family income "one year prior to your landing in Canada i.e. 2012 if you land here in 2013". You can have an idea by using the CCTB calculator present at the link mentioned below.

Details can be found at the following link.You can even call them to clear any ambiguity.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cctb/

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
respectall said:
I discussed the matter with couple of people who were residing in Alberta and found mix type of feed back. Few said to borrow from Pakistan as things are cheaper here whereas some declined. Anyhow, if you have weight option in your luggage then buy.
In my view NEVER bring warm clothes from Pakistan as they will NOT work here at all. You could bring some warm clothes for mild winter months (April-June & Sept.-Oct.)but they will not work in severe winter months (Nov.-Feb.)But you must bring some light weight household items such as some bedsheets(one simple bedsheet will cost you 30-80$),towels etc .

Hope that helps!

respectall

Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 09, 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 2009/ Submitted Apr 09, 2010
AOR Received.
Jul 2010
Med's Request
Jul 22, 2012
Med's Done....
Jul 30, 2012
Passport Req..
Step-1 Nov 20, 2012/ Step-2: Jan 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 26, 2013
newcomer said:
In my view NEVER bring warm clothes from Pakistan as they will NOT work here at all. You could bring some warm clothes for mild winter months (April-June & Sept.-Oct.)but they will not work in severe winter months (Nov.-Feb.)But you must bring some light weight household items such as some bedsheets(one simple bedsheet will cost you 30-80$),towels etc .

Hope that helps!
Thanks dear

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newcomer said:
Well you will be surprised to know that in Canada more than 70% of jobs are never advertised .....they get filled up by networking!!!!.In my opinion,the best way to find job in Canada is to do as much research as possible before landing and then choose the "right" place according to your profession.This is the first step towards finding a job.After landing try to build up your network .Do not hesitate to discuss that you are looking for a job with any one be it your friend,neighbour or anyone else you know here.Another important step is to start building your network through "linkedin" which has been proved very beneficial for many people.

When you land here ,immediately try to be in contact with "immigrant settlement organizations"."They will not help you find a job " but they will guide you how to find a job according to Canadian job market,how to develop Canadian style "resume" (not CV).I know about many of those organizations in Calgary,but do not have much idea about other cities.Nevertheless,I am sure there must be some in every city as they are funded by CIC.These type of organizations will provide you the correct information about different professions in Canada and how to prepare yourself according to Canadian job market.

I am not sure about SAP specifically but due to an oil & gas based booming economy in AB,all those jobs who are directly & indirectly related to oil & gas are enough here.In our case,we moved from KSA almost 2 years back .My husband was working at a senior management position there (not oil & gas).Surprsingly he got an excellent job in Calgary,with the same job title/position,just on the 6th day of landing.Alhamdolilah he is still working with the same company,whose main business is to provide services to oil & gas.Similarly my younger brother who moved from Germany ,is a senior software engineer. He also got a Consultant level job within 1.5 months of landing,in a company in Calgary,which mainly designs softwares for oil & gas industry.
Well thanks newcomer, Im we're also from Saudi Arabia, , it is nice to hear that you guys also from KSA

cimple

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-08-2008
Med's Done....
22-11-2012
Passport Req..
07-06-2013
newcomer said:
Once you land here,you can apply for CCTB to CRA by filling in a form and sending them some required docs. i.e. PR card copies,birth cert. for kids ,school records etc.

Well the exact amount is hard to determine and it varies with one s family income,less for more family income and vice versa.However, for your initial CCTB payments,you will be evaluated on the basis of your family income "one year prior to your landing in Canada i.e. 2012 if you land here in 2013". You can have an idea by using the CCTB calculator present at the link mentioned below.

Details can be found at the following link.You can even call them to clear any ambiguity.

thanks for your reply. i have visited this site kind of complex just to have a rough idea how much this benefit is if land in july 2013

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
No problem! you are very welcome.

Regarding CCTB ,you can calculate an estimated amount through CCTB calculator by putting your family income no. & ages of kids etc .If you find any difficulty in using that calculator ,let me know and I can guide you.

Hope that helps!

klmy

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore/Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-1-12
Doc's Request.
Same day
Nomination.....
1-3-12
IELTS Request
Alongwith application
Med's Request
13-5-13
Med's Done....
26-5-13
Interview........
Waived ALHAMDOOLILAH
Passport Req..
26-7-13
VISA ISSUED...
7-8-13

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
ItsBeenLongNow said:
Well thanks newcomer, Im we're also from Saudi Arabia, , it is nice to hear that you guys also from KSA
You are very welcome !

Its nice to know that you are also based at KSA.

Wish you all the best for your settlement process in Canada.

prospective

Aug 27, 2009
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2009
Doc's Request.
23-11-2009
AOR Received.
26-04-2010
Med's Request
Oct 24, 2012
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2013
LANDED..........
September 2013
sonea said:
Craiglist is not very popular here u can try kijiji.com to look for rental properties start short listing before arriving and e mail the owner to set time for viewing so that u don't have to waste time after arriving here

We came to our relative here but got an apartment rental in a couple of days so we didn't have to look for hotels or bed and breakfast .. If u don't have a relative then search for a bed and breakfast motel it is usually cheaper as compared to hotel .. Hotels and motels keep on changing packages so may be you will find a good deal if u search online

Most hotels are near down town which makes commuting to key locations easy
This is very helpful! I appreciate. Can you share your thoughts on what are the things one must bring to Edmonton, considering coming from Pakistan with one 1.5 years daughter?