+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual citizen. Safe it travel with two passports?

Sweetnesz

Aug 26, 2013
I was born in the usa have a valid passport and citizenship. But lives with my parents in canada all my life. I have decided to move back to the usa on my own but I want to keep my status in canada too. Is it safe to take my canadian documents including passport on the plane with me so that I can renew my canadian passport in the usa when it expires?

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nothing wrong with that. You can take with you 20 passports so long as they are YOURS and LEGALLY obtained.

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can take two passports with you, but you should present the passport of the country you want to be recognized as citizen of, may any incident occur.

I have heard many stories as well, and it's a very important point to keep in mind.

jujuberanch

Mar 26, 2013
Only partially true. If you are a US citizen, you are required to enter the US on your US passport.

boasorte said:
You can take two passports with you, but you should present the passport of the country you want to be recognized as citizen of, may any incident occur.

I have heard many stories as well, and it's a very important point to keep in mind.

gte439u

Sep 27, 2013
jujuberanch said:
Only partially true. If you are a US citizen, you are required to enter the US on your US passport.
You are also required to leave the USA on your US passport. For example, when you check in for a flight from the USA to Canada, you give the details of your US passport to the airline. You can present your Canadian passport on arrival in Canada.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
My son is a dual citizen. When we go to US he presents his US passport. On the way out of US he presented his Canadian passport and upon entry to Canada he presented his Canadian passport. No issues whatsoever.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I travel with both US and Canadian. The US to enter USA and the Canadian to enter Canada.

esteem

Star Member
Feb 6, 2014
keesio said:
I travel with both US and Canadian. The US to enter USA and the Canadian to enter Canada.
What if you are traveling to any other country ( other than US or Canada) which passport will you use?
Thanks

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
esteem said:
What if you are traveling to any other country ( other than US or Canada) which passport will you use?
Thanks
It depends on what country you wish to identify yourself with when you visit.

For me, if the trip itinerary has me leaving from and returning to Canada without ever going through the US, then I will use my Canadian passport. Why carry around an extra passport if I don't need to? Same goes if the trip itinerary has me leaving from and returning to the US without ever going through Canada (for that trip) - I will just carry my US passport for that trip.

The only exception I can think of is if there is one country that requires a visa for one passport but not the other. But I can't think of too many countries I would visit where that is the case.

kimosabe

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
Some info here that may help clarify things:

http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/publications/dual-citizenship#what_are_the_advantages

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gte439u said:
You are also required to leave the USA on your US passport. For example, when you check in for a flight from the USA to Canada, you give the details of your US passport to the airline. You can present your Canadian passport on arrival in Canada.
There are no immigration checks upon exiting the U.S.; if there were, you would need to present your U.S. passport to U.S. government officials, but you can present either passport to your airline.

esteem

Star Member
Feb 6, 2014
keesio said:
It depends on what country you wish to identify yourself with when you visit.

For me, if the trip itinerary has me leaving from and returning to Canada without ever going through the US, then I will use my Canadian passport. Why carry around an extra passport if I don't need to? Same goes if the trip itinerary has me leaving from and returning to the US without ever going through Canada (for that trip) - I will just carry my US passport for that trip.

The only exception I can think of is if there is one country that requires a visa for one passport but not the other. But I can't think of too many countries I would visit where that is the case.
Thank you Keesio for the reply.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Keesio, Cuba. You can't or shouldn't go there with a US passport. Of course, you would have to travel to Canada to catch a flight there anyway, but I don't think you would want them to see/know you are a citizen of the USA once you landed. I know I wouldn't ....