+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving licence application

Nigel Buck

Jul 5, 2023
My wife just arrived as a tourist and I'm sponsoring her for PR. Before I can put her on my car insurance she needs to swap her driving licence to am ontario one. Does she have to wait until she has her PR, around 1 year, or is the letter from ircc saying she is eligible enough like ohip

Person001

Star Member
Jan 2, 2023
Hmmm, I have a similar question, if spouse cannot be added to my car insurance as a visitor, how can she drive my car, or any car for that matter? Do we need to get her a separate car insurance for my car? (In Quebec for me)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife just arrived as a tourist and I'm sponsoring her for PR. Before I can put her on my car insurance she needs to swap her driving licence to am ontario one. Does she have to wait until she has her PR, around 1 year, or is the letter from ircc saying she is eligible enough like ohip
https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence

There is no mention as to what immigration status she need to have, only that she can exchange her foreign DL, as long as she is from a country that's part of the reciprocal program:
  • U.S. States
  • Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, the Isle of Man, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Switzerland, Taiwan
There's also this link regarding visitors:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/drive-ontario-visitors

If you are sponsoring your wife with an Inland spousal sponsorship application, she is living with you in Canada.

Jatinp

Aug 4, 2021
My wife came as visitor and she got g1 license
Go for g1 license they will ask only passport

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I was wondering something similar.

My parents will be visiting from Honduras for 2 months. According to the Ontario official website:

If you are visiting Ontario for less than 3 months and want to drive while you’re here, you can use a valid driver’s licence from your own province, state or country.

So I guess they would be able to drive my car if needed. I tried to call my insurance company but the customer service agent that I was talking to didn't even know that Honduras was a country (not surprise, not a lot of people knows where it is). Does anybody know if it's possible to add someone temporarily to your car insurance with a foreign driver's licence?

I thought about going through the whole process of getting them an Ontario licence, but they don't speak English. You can take the G1 written test in different languages, but the driving test would be a challenge.

Nigel Buck

Jul 5, 2023

There is no mention as to what immigration status she need to have, only that she can exchange her foreign DL, as long as she is from a country that's part of the reciprocal program:
  • U.S. States
  • Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, the Isle of Man, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Switzerland, Taiwan

If you are sponsoring your wife with an Inland spousal sponsorship application, she is living with you in Canada.
She's here and has been driving on her swiss licence for 6 weeks but I can't add her to my car insurance until she has a canadian licence. The link you posted has alink to valid ID that a foreigner needs to bring and they all seem to be canadian permits or authorizations. I'll drop into my local drive test and ask them.

Also, thank you for your assistance. It's nice to see these forums working

N

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
She's here and has been driving on her swiss licence for 6 weeks but I can't add her to my car insurance until she has a canadian licence. The link you posted has alink to valid ID that a foreigner needs to bring and they all seem to be canadian permits or authorizations. I'll drop into my local drive test and ask them.

Also, thank you for your assistance. It's nice to see these forums working

N
Sounds like you are in ON, most, I don't know about all, insurance policies will cover "occasional drivers" possibly with an age limit, over 25 I think. The definition of an occasional driver is pretty vague. From what I see it means a licensed driver who is using it with your permission.

Nigel Buck

Jul 5, 2023
Sounds like you are in ON, most, I don't know about all, insurance policies will cover "occasional drivers" possibly with an age limit, over 25 I think. The definition of an occasional driver is pretty vague. From what I see it means a licensed driver who is using it with your permission.
I asked my insurance broker and he's of the same opinion. So we'll use that for emergencies. Thanks

Reactions: Canada2020eh

TrickyColonel

May 4, 2023
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
28-02-2022
AOR Received.
07-05-2022
Med's Request
17-06-2022
Med's Done....
27-06-2022
Passport Req..
07-06-2023
LANDED..........
31-07-2023

• U.S. States

If someone has a UK & Australian driving license but does not belong to any of those countries can they still exchange it with an Ontario (Canadian) license or they have to be PR or citizens of UK or Australia?

Nigel Buck

Jul 5, 2023
I just exchanged my Swiss driving licence for an ontario one even though I'm not Swiss. All I needed was a translation / attestation from the Swiss consulate in Montreal.

Reactions: TrickyColonel

TrickyColonel

May 4, 2023
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
28-02-2022
AOR Received.
07-05-2022
Med's Request
17-06-2022
Med's Done....
27-06-2022
Passport Req..
07-06-2023
LANDED..........
31-07-2023
I just exchanged my Swiss driving licence for an ontario one even though I'm not Swiss. All I needed was a translation / attestation from the Swiss consulate in Montreal.
Copy that! Thanks for the quick response :)

Zuzu1983

Mar 23, 2023
Montréal
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
12-03-2023
AOR Received.
01-04-2023
Med's Request
06-04-2023
Med's Done....
10-04-2023
I got my first car recently. When getting the insurance, they were ok with my wife still having her home country's license, understanding that within a year she should get the Quebec license. She is the principal driver of our car so we really wanted to ensure we were properly covered.
Other places we had inquiried into were also ok adding her without the QC license but would have a surcharge.

Nigel Buck

Jul 5, 2023
I got my first car recently. When getting the insurance, they were ok with my wife still having her home country's license, understanding that within a year she should get the Quebec license. She is the principal driver of our car so we really wanted to ensure we were properly covered.
Other places we had inquiried into were also ok adding her without the QC license but would have a surcharge.
My experience in ontario has been varied. Most insurance companies that I asked refused outright. I'm now with cooperators ca and they'll put my wife on the policy for 6 months with her international driving licrnce.