+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Don’t contact the CBSA to request your “history of entries.”

Sumonaney

Nov 29, 2012
Don’t contact the CBSA to request your “history of entries.”------- it says Q14

but i order my record . i was thinking i will show in interview time . i was hopping officer will be happy for that because i have records in my hand .

now i realized Q14 says :Don’t contact the CBSA to request your “history of entries.”------- it says Q14

what will happen to my application. will it make delay or it will be refused.

please advise .

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Don’t contact the CBSA to request your “history of entries.”------- it says Q14

but i order my record . i was thinking i will show in interview time . i was hopping officer will be happy for that because i have records in my hand .

now i realized Q14 says :Don’t contact the CBSA to request your “history of entries.”------- it says Q14

what will happen to my application. will it make delay or it will be refused.

please advise .
The main thing is that you checked "yes" in giving IRCC consent to access your CBSA travel history. If you did that, if you gave IRCC consent, the fact you also obtained a copy of your CBSA records does NOT matter.

That is: as long as you checked "yes" that IRCC has consent to access the CBSA records, NO PROBLEM (no problem in respect to this particular aspect anyway).

Checking "no" should not itself result in an application being denied, but obviously it is likely to trigger non-routine processing and delays. No one has reported how things have gone after doing this, after checking "no." If you checked "no" you could be among the first to report back here about how this affected the process.

The request that applicants not individually seek their own copy of the CBSA records is to discourage unnecessary requests, to avoid imposing an excessive burden on CBSA.

Regarding: "now i realized Q14 says: . . . "

For the record: it is always important to carefully read and follow the instructions BEFORE completing and submitting anything to the government. This instance should be NO big deal (again, as long as you checked "yes" and thus gave consent). BUT for those who do not carefully read and follow the instructions, the pitfalls are many and the consequences can sometimes be severe.

I have oft been criticized for being "condescending" or "patronizing" because I so often repeat the caution: "If in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions." BUT the failure to follow the instructions is one of the most common reasons applicants run into problems. Spread the word. "If in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions." AND, it warrants adding with emphasis: CAREFULLY READ AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Before completing and submitting the forms!

Am I being repetitive? Good. Spread the word.

This forum is rife with tales of woe and gnashing of teeth among those who failed to heed this most basic admonition, including more than a few who gloss over or even ignore the mistake was theirs while spewing criticisms about IRCC's injustice.

Sumonaney

Nov 29, 2012
The main thing is that you checked "yes" in giving IRCC consent to access your CBSA travel history. If you did that, if you gave IRCC consent, the fact you also obtained a copy of your CBSA records does NOT matter.

That is: as long as you checked "yes" that IRCC has consent to access the CBSA records, NO PROBLEM (no problem in respect to this particular aspect anyway).

Checking "no" should not itself result in an application being denied, but obviously it is likely to trigger non-routine processing and delays. No one has reported how things have gone after doing this, after checking "no." If you checked "no" you could be among the first to report back here about how this affected the process.

The request that applicants not individually seek their own copy of the CBSA records is to discourage unnecessary requests, to avoid imposing an excessive burden on CBSA.

Regarding: "now i realized Q14 says: . . . "

For the record: it is always important to carefully read and follow the instructions BEFORE completing and submitting anything to the government. This instance should be NO big deal (again, as long as you checked "yes" and thus gave consent). BUT for those who do not carefully read and follow the instructions, the pitfalls are many and the consequences can sometimes be severe.

I have oft been criticized for being "condescending" or "patronizing" because I so often repeat the caution: "If in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions." BUT the failure to follow the instructions is one of the most common reasons applicants run into problems. Spread the word. "If in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions." AND, it warrants adding with emphasis: CAREFULLY READ AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Before completing and submitting the forms!

Am I being repetitive? Good. Spread the word.

This forum is rife with tales of woe and gnashing of teeth among those who failed to heed this most basic admonition, including more than a few who gloss over or even ignore the mistake was theirs while spewing criticisms about IRCC's injustice.

Many many thanks for your excellent reply
I am very happy to see you explain nice and details way .

Yes I tick YES box in the form .

Actually I was becoming over smart
I was thinking if I show officer in my interview time about my CBSA report he or she can make my DM easyly

But later I did study guideline and found Cic order by themself

——————————————————

So as soon as I realized I don’t need it I send an email to CBSA and requested that please close my request. And I also got confirmation email from CBSA that my file has been closed as per my request.

I hope I did correct thing and my file won’t be delay .

Thanks

Jit1905

May 10, 2018
Ok that’s good that we do not need to submit record of entry exit but do we need to mention all the entry exit in physical presence calculator

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I went through the form again and again but couldn’t get the check box which I need to click yes to permit cic to get my travelling history
I don't understand what you mean. Number 14, Table B, b) asks whether you give CBSA permission to disclose your travel detail to IRCC. You indicated that you checked the "Yes" box. If so, there is no problem.

There is also no problem in ordering your travel records from CBSA on your own, and there was no reason to cancel the request. A large number of applicants have ordered their travel history to help them prepare their applications. This does not cause a delay in processing. Of course, it's best if people keep accurate records of their travels, rather than relying on the CBSA report.

Reactions: dpenabill

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Ok that’s good that we do not need to submit record of entry exit but do we need to mention all the entry exit in physical presence calculator
Yes of course.

6242 cook

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
I don't understand what you mean. Number 14, Table B, b) asks whether you give CBSA permission to disclose your travel detail to IRCC. You indicated that you checked the "Yes" box. If so, there is no problem.

There is also no problem in ordering your travel records from CBSA on your own, and there was no reason to cancel the request. A large number of applicants have ordered their travel history to help them prepare their applications. This does not cause a delay in processing. Of course, it's best if people keep accurate records of their travels, rather than relying on the CBSA report.

Yes it might be delay the processing tour citizenship application

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I would totally ignore the suggestion not to order your travel records directly from CBSA for yourself--even if you give IRCC permission to get them directly. Don't you want to know what IRCC is looking at? What if there is a mistake? If everyone applying for citizenship orderded their own records that would probably create a backlog at CBSA, but so be it.

Last edited:
Reactions: alphazip

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Obviously I agree with all the suggestions above, which are consistent with well-established consensus, that:

(1) it is important to check "yes" for the item in the application which gives IRCC consent to access CBSA travel history (there is a potential delay if "no" is checked; I'd guess a LIKELY delay if "no" is checked), and

(2) separately obtaining a personal copy of the CBSA travel history will have NO impact on processing the citizenship application, and

(3) applicants who are not certain of precise travel dates can help (but only help) verify travel dates by obtaining a copy of their own CBSA travel history, but

(4) it is important to NOT rely on any other single source of information, including the CBSA history, including passport stamps, or any other records . . . for the prospective applicant who failed to keep exact and complete records of all travel abroad, that individual needs to make a concerted, diligent, and thorough search for and review of any and all relevant sources of information to make sure, as best the applicant can make sure, ALL DATES of EXIT, and ALL DATES of ENTRY are reported as accurately as possible.

Leading to the more important aspect of the query triggering today's posts:

Yes. As accurately as possible. All dates on which the applicant left Canada, even if the applicant returned to Canada minutes later, need to be reported in the physical presence calculation. ALL and ACCURATELY. Likewise dates of entry into Canada. ALL and ACCURATELY.

There is some leeway, some allowance, for minor errors, even omissions, BUT many of us will make an error even if we diligently aim for perfection, so it is critical to make a zealous effort to get it right, to report ALL dates of entry and exit, and to do so ACCURATELY.

An applicant who did not keep complete and accurate records really needs to assess how confident he or she can be about the dates based on additional sources. CBSA records will provide for-sure entry dates, but NOT necessarily ALL entry dates, and usually does not provide exit dates or not nearly all exit dates anyway. If for any reason the applicant is not highly confident that he or she can complete the physical presence calculator very close to perfectly, the applicant would be wise to consider:
-- making sure to have a substantial margin over the minimum
-- making sure he or she otherwise has an easily documented case (strong evidence of where the applicant has lived and worked and such, no gaps, none)
-- possibly waiting longer until uncertain travel periods are no longer within the relevant time period . . . or at least there is no such period within a period which solidly encompasses three years of presence plus
-- and if there is any estimating of dates or trips, be sure to acknowledge this (could be stated in the box for describing travel reason)

robinhood_1984

Jan 22, 2018
The CBSA records aren't completely accurate anyway. I requested mine to firstly confirm all of my 280 (ish) border crossings in the truck I drive were recorded, and I noticed that 15 returns to Canada were completely missing over the five year period. A bit worrying but nothing I can do about it. I have my log books as proof and the US entry records for the trips that the Canadian side failed to record my return, show my arrival in the US from Canada at the start of the trip.

The other reason was that while I could document all my truck crossings, I could not tell them the dates I crossed over in my personal car on short day trips so needed my CBSA records to document those for the sake of completeness and accuracy.

They don't want you including the CBSA report with the application, but there is nothing to stop you from applying for it for your own purposes, which is your legal right and of no concern to IRCC.