+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does Work outside Canada count as a Presence or Absence towards citizenship

bigben3

Star Member
Jul 7, 2011
Hi All,

I work for a Canadian local company and last year I went to USA for 2 weeks for company's work. I was getting paid normally as per my payroll here in Canada. I just wanted to know whether those 2 weeks would be considered as absence from country or I can still include them to count towards my citizenship.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
bigben3 said:
Hi All,

I work for a Canadian local company and last year I went to USA for 2 weeks for company's work. I was getting paid normally as per my payroll here in Canada. I just wanted to know whether those 2 weeks would be considered as absence from country or I can still include them to count towards my citizenship.
Most likely it would be considered as absence. To avoid going thru all the pain, better wait two more weeks to cover that gap.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
bigben3 said:
Hi All,

These 2 weeks will be considered as an absence from the country.

You are confusing PR residency and citizenship residency rules. For citizenship, you need to be physically in the country for the days to count. For PR, you can count days spent outside of Canada while working for a US company on a permanent relocation (so your 2 weeks still wouldn't count for PR residency purposes since your visit to the US was only temporary and not a permanent relocation).

Long story short - you cannot count the 2 weeks towards your citizenship residency requirement.

ABscientist

Star Member
Mar 26, 2014
bigben3 said:
Hi All,

Counts as absence.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
bigben3 said:
Hi All,

Here is the answer:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=370&t=5