+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does passport Canada call the guarantor and the references?

FAAMS

Aug 13, 2015
I am filing out my passport application and I have 2 questions?
Does passport Canada call garnatour and the 2 references?
Could be the same garnatour and references for the same family as we are four people in ine family application?

3hm

Star Member
Dec 4, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can share that the same person guarantor and 2-references can be same with all 4-members.
I wasn't questioned during my application for the five of us.

As for the other question, lets wait for others.

FAAMS

Aug 13, 2015
3hm said:
I can share that the same person guarantor and 2-references can be same with all 4-members.
I wasn't questioned during my application for the five of us.

As for the other question, lets wait for others.
Thanks for the answer 3hm :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sometimes they call and sometimes they don't.

I've been a guarantor a number of times for others and I think I've received calls each time the person applying for a passport was a naturalized Canadian (i.e. obtained citizenship through immigration) rather than being born in Canada.

Reactions: kathychang

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
We got our first passports, family of 4, naturalized. Applied in person, normal processing. Got the passports in 6 calendar days. They did not call the guarantors/ references. Our guarantors were themselves naturalized Citizens. I believe that for all express passport requests they make calls to the references. Guarantors they know exists coz of the passport record.

SFD

Feb 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with crapk0,

Most people I know at work their guarantors were not contacted (Regular process). Express process is a different ball game.

My Guarantor was not contacted (I applied last week under the regular process). I should be getting my passport this week.

The key is just make sure you pick a Guarantor that knows you well in case they contact him/her.

SFD

Yukaa08

Jan 23, 2016
FAAMS said:
I am filing out my passport application and I have 2 questions?
Does passport Canada call garnatour and the 2 references?
Could be the same garnatour and references for the same family as we are four people in ine family application?
Yes they actually do. In my case my friend was working and missed 2 calls from them. They left me a voicemail about it telling me to tell my "guarantor" my friend, to call them at the number they left me.

FAAMS

Aug 13, 2015
Thanks for the answers, i appreciate your thoughts and experiences. I will apply tomorrow and i will let you know how it will be.

Have a great day :)

eastguy123

Star Member
Oct 26, 2019
Hi guys I applied for express passport at service Canada on oct 8 and just got to know that due to emergency my guarantor would leave Canada on October 10th and my express passport pickup date is October 18. What should I do here? Should I call passport office on Tuesday to let them know that they would not be able to contact him as he is out of country or give them his email address or how would I contact passport? Thanks

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
Although I am not at the stage of worrying about passport applications yet, I feel that the requirements for a guarantor and references are outdated traditions inherited from the UK, which are not only unnecessary, but also have a discriminatory effect against naturalized citizens. It is not easy for new citizens to find guarantors and references (I have seen some Facebook posts about this - see screenshot below). Most other countries do not have such a requirement, and I am sure they do just fine in terms of safeguarding against passport fraud.

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Although I am not at the stage of worrying about passport applications yet, I feel that the requirements for a guarantor and references are outdated traditions inherited from the UK, which are not only unnecessary, but also have a discriminatory effect against naturalized citizens. It is not easy for new citizens to find guarantors and references (I have seen some Facebook posts about this). Most other countries do not have such a requirement, and I am sure they do just fine in terms of safeguarding against passport fraud.
Sure, through required in-person passport applications and renewals.

References don't even have to be Canadian or in Canada. And it is also possible to apply without any guarantor. So yes you can still get a Canadian passport while essentially not knowing anyone in Canada.

Last edited:

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
Sure, through required in-person passport applications and renewals.

References don't even have to be Canadian or in Canada. And it is also possible to apply without any guarantor. So yes you can still get a Canadian passport while essentially not knowing anyone in Canada.
There are many ways to confirm the applicant's identity without following the outdated guarantor/reference tradition. The first problem with IRCC is that everything is STILL done on paper (although the citizenship application can now be submitted online for some applicants), and I understand that in some instances, you have to send in your ORIGINAL naturalization certificate to apply for your passport. This is outrageously outdated.

Once everything becomes digitized, identity confirmation can be done either at the local passport office/Service Canada or even Canada Post (which already does identity verification on behalf of government/financial institutions). There would no longer be the need to have a guarantor sign on the backs of pictures or submit a statutory declaration in lieu of a guarantor.

I just don't fathom the rationale of still requiring a guarantor and two references when there are other much less onerous ways to satisfy the requriement of identity confirmation.

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Sometimes I think I am lucky that I couldn't find a skilled job in Canada and had to flee it for good. Can't imagine being Canadian citizen wanting to travel outside of Canada, needing a passport to travel, and being told "We can't issue you a passport unless you find couple of clowns who will vouch for your character". So, those individuals denied passport are essentially stuck in Canada, with no chance to travel abroad or leave Canada?

Reactions: brittanymurphy