+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does one year visiting lectureship count as Canadian work experience?

bahielbasueny

Jun 8, 2023
Hi everyone,
I hope you can help me to define whether I can count my scholarship to UBC as a visiting lecturer with my salary was paid from my home university count as Canadian work experience.. I entered the country with work visa (LMIA exempt). However, I did not get paid by the Canadian University but through a scholarship from my home institution. However, it was a full-time visit and paid BUT not paid by the Canadian University (as I said before). Can I consider this as a work experience in Canada for the Express Entry? Thank you for the help :)

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Based on what you have described that is not Canadian work experience. You technically were not 'employed' by UBC. Think about it like this for context. You work for a US based employer and they had a client in Canada. You physically went to Canada to work for the client and got a work permit. The client who is a Canadian company, did not pay you, your US company paid you. Your taxes were reported in the US and none in Canada. That is what you just described with UBC. Maybe someone else has another opinion on it.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
This is a different scenario. To be accepted as Canadian experience, you need to be an employee of UBC being paid by the university. Then your paystubs will include deductions for EI, CPP etc. This way you are sent a T4 for tax filing. You may be considered as self employed because you are not being paid by the university. Self employed work doesn’t count as Canadian experience.