+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does anyone apply for study permit inside Canada?

dante666

Aug 2, 2017
Hi everyone,

I will start taking my 1 year post-graduate program in Canada in Jan 2022, my wife will travel with me under OPW.
Her opw may be expired in December 2022, and we plan to submit a study permit for her in October 2022.
My question is if my wife applies for a program that starts in May 2023, will it is possible? As she may have a gap from Jan to May.

I acknowledge that if we hold study permit we can continue the next program in no more than 150 days, but I am not sure about changing from OPW to study permit.

Thank you for reading my post!!!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It is possible but will be processed from your home country. So like your approved study permit, she needs to show ties to home country, career (job, higher pay, promotion) and education advancement) and funds.

Reactions: dante666

Nwamaka

Star Member
May 28, 2021
Visa Office......
Pretoria, South Africa.
App. Filed.......
May 12
Hi everyone,

I will start taking my 1 year post-graduate program in Canada in Jan 2022, my wife will travel with me under OPW.
Her opw may be expired in December 2022, and we plan to submit a study permit for her in October 2022.
My question is if my wife applies for a program that starts in May 2023, will it is possible? As she may have a gap from Jan to May.

I acknowledge that if we hold study permit we can continue the next program in no more than 150 days, but I am not sure about changing from OPW to study permit.

Since you're going to study. After graduation you will be entitled to pgwp and she can get another owp

dante666

Aug 2, 2017
It is possible but will be processed from your home country. So like your approved study permit, she needs to show ties to home country, career (job, higher pay, promotion) and education advancement) and funds.
Thank you for your clarification!
Since you're going to study. After graduation you will be entitled to pgwp and she can get another owp
Thank you! This is my backup plan in case if I don't get a job in noc 0,A,B.
In other situation, does my wife have to change her status to visitor while I'm finding the job and apply for the restoration and opw when I found one?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

Have you been granted the study permit and OWP? OWP isn’t guaranteed for spouses of international students.

dante666

Aug 2, 2017
Have you been granted the study permit and OWP? OWP isn’t guaranteed for spouses of international students.
Yes, we did it, I got mine after 5 business days, and my wife got her after 7 business days of taking biometrics

Nwamaka

Star Member
May 28, 2021
Visa Office......
Pretoria, South Africa.
App. Filed.......
May 12
Thank you for your clarification!

Thank you! This is my backup plan in case if I don't get a job in noc 0,A,B.
In other situation, does my wife have to change her status to visitor while I'm finding the job and apply for the restoration and opw when I found one?
I don't really know about the visitors thing but I believe you will be fine. Since she has OWP, hopeful she get full time-permanent position and her employer retains her job during the period of her visa expiration so she doesn't have to deal with visitors status thing but your backup plan is excellent. you have entered Canada and you ain't going nowhere.

dante666

Aug 2, 2017
I don't really know about the visitors thing but I believe you will be fine. Since she has OWP, hopeful she get full time-permanent position and her employer retains her job during the period of her visa expiration so she doesn't have to deal with visitors status thing but your backup plan is excellent. you have entered Canada and you ain't going nowhere.
Thank you for your kind words, we are still in our country, and will move to Canada at the end of this year.