+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does a Canadian immigration medical exam include drug testing?

simple23

Oct 23, 2011
im applying for permanent resident atm so I would like to know if they include drug testing for it? because I reallly don't want my
application to be denied just because im smoking pot daily nothing else...

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are only going to apply for Canadian PR, then you have enough time ahead for a medical, if your application is accepted and starts processing. Therefore I suggest if possible try your best level to quit the habit of smoking. If you did not succeed in your attempt, then talk to the DMP during your physical exam with him about your pot smoking!!.

nawabsaab

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
is there really a problem about drug ?
what about steriod users ? do you know a person who is on steriod may got reject ?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
the pr medical exam does NOT test for drugs. the blood tests for communicable diseases. i'm not sure what the urine is tested for, but it's not drugs. i think it checks personal levels that would indicate serious medical issues.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Chevy23 said:
The urine test checks for glucose (Sugar) levels
Also blood.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Chevy23 said:
The urine test checks for glucose (Sugar) levels
that's what i thought, because they did a dip stick that i know is used for checking various levels related to diabetes, just wasn't 100% sure that's what they check for. thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
rhcohen2014 said:
the pr medical exam does NOT test for drugs.
In 99.9% of cases they aren't. However technically, substance (drug) abuse can indeed be considered an activity that could cause a danger to public health/safety, so it is something that is considered.

Read here for more: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/partner/pp/pdf/IMEI_Psychiatric_conditions.pdf

This doc shows what panel physicians are supposed to be checking for. They include marijuana use, but also include cigarettes and caffeine... so obviously some items are taken more seriously than other (like anyone would be refused for being a coffee addict!).

This is the relevant part
The following information may assist the PPs in their screening of conditions that potentially pave a risk to Canadian public safety. Does the client have a history of any of the following:
• delusional behavior or schizophrenia;
• suspiciousness or odd beliefs;
• memory disturbance;
substance use disorder including past treatment and rehabilitation programs;
• trauma (psychological or physical) including post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD);

The way it works (I think) is that testing for drugs is not a normal procedure. HOWEVER there is also a Q&A portion of the medical check, so if an applicant discloses that they have a serious drug addiction (like to cocaine or heroin) and have done rehab, or if the doctor notices anything (the medical handbook specifically mentions looking for needle marks on the arm), then CIC may demand additional drug tests and more extensive medical history for previous treatment. Although i'm sure it would need to be some severe case of drug abuse with a history of violent behaviour for CIC to deem the applicant a danger to public health/safety and reject them on medical grounds.

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Rob_TO said:
In 99.9% of cases they aren't. However technically, substance (drug) abuse can indeed be considered an activity that could cause a danger to public health/safety, so it is something that is considered.

Read here for more: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/partner/pp/pdf/IMEI_Psychiatric_conditions.pdf

This doc shows what panel physicians are supposed to be checking for. They include marijuana use, but also include cigarettes and caffeine... so obviously some items are taken more seriously than other (like anyone would be refused for being a coffee addict!).

The following information may assist the PPs in their screening of conditions that potentially pave a risk to Canadian public safety. Does the client have a history of any of the following:
• memory disturbance;
• trauma (psychological or physical) including post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD);

The way it works (I think) is that testing for drugs is not a normal procedure. HOWEVER there is also a Q&A portion of the medical check, so if an applicant discloses that they have a serious drug addiction (like to cocaine or heroin) and have done rehab, or if the doctor notices anything (the medical handbook specifically mentions looking for needle marks on the arm), then CIC may demand additional drug tests and more extensive medical history for previous treatment. Although i'm sure it would need to be some severe case of drug abuse with a history of violent behaviour for CIC to deem the applicant a danger to public health/safety and reject them on medical grounds.
That's a huge relief... Thank you SO much for your thorough answer.

nawabsaab

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
i consult to doc he said that they check glucose protein and one more thing in blood and if anything is beyond limit u have to give reason and u may have appear again in medical

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
simple23 said:
im applying for permanent resident atm so I would like to know if they include drug testing for it? because I reallly don't want my
application to be denied just because im smoking pot daily nothing else...
Well, in that case you fulfill the prerequisite of living in Vancouver BC. You have good chances to be fast tracked.. ;)

KpbIM

Jan 11, 2017
So anybody tryed to do medical exham while he\she was smoking marijuana??? And how its work for you?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
KpbIM said:
So anybody tryed to do medical exham while he\she was smoking marijuana??? And how its work for you?
they don't test for marijuana, so it's a non issue. they are testing for communicable diseases.

Stubborn

Dec 6, 2018

• memory disturbance;

Oh
Can you or do you know if cic do checks in the public hospitals of a applicant home country to see if there is medical or mental health records?

• memory disturbance;

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I do not have the answer but probably not although they may well reserve the right to check anything on any application. If anyone has such history then if asked they should declare it else if found out could be considered misrepresentation putting PR status in doubt. In applying for PR nobody should attempt to be dishonest in any dealings with IRCC.