+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do people find employers before arriving in Canada?

SandSea

Dec 25, 2010
I was interested in the PNP program.

Has anyone had success with this?

How do people generally find work when they're outside Canada?

Please help.

Resumeshop

Dec 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello SandSea,

Sure people find jobs in Canada while abroad. It is always more difficult to do this than searching while in Canada, so be sure that you are well prepared with a resume and cover letter tailored to the Canadian market. See here for resume tips for newcomers: http://resume-shop.blogspot.com/p/resumes-for-immigrants.html.

You can also start looking on the major job boards such as:

www.workopolis.ca
www.monster.ca
www.hotjobs.ca

Be sure not to overlook temp agencies like:

www.randstad.ca

and other local ones in the area of Canada where you will be settling.

Best of luck!

Tarik77

Dec 25, 2010
Let us talk honestly.

It’s NOT an easy to get a job from outside of Canada, especially of the economic right now.
Unless you have Postgraduate certificate with experience and skills, probably will find small chance
I'm telling you the truth. Also you can try and wish you all successful

P.S, to make your resume perfect and according to Canada Format, just tries to use Google to search for perfect format and you will find a lot,

SandSea

Dec 25, 2010
That's useful advice, thanks Resume. I'll check out local job boards too.

Tarik, I'm sure it's difficult. I was just interested in hearing of any possible cases where semi-skilled people in areas of job shortages actually managed to land a job while outside Canada.

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree. It is very difficult to get an offer while outside of the country. This is not to discourage you, but to be realistic.

It's important you understand the job search methods, strategies and expectations when job searching in the Canadian marketplace.

There are many great job bulletin board sites out there including: www.indeed.ca, www.eluta.ca

Before you can apply on these sites you have to a Canadian styled resume. One place to start is www.careego.com - Career Resources - Immigration and Job Search. Learn all you can about the Canadian job market.

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
based on what you wrote, I'd guess the chance of getting a job is less than 1% (as a semi-skilled person from abroad without a valid visa) when applying through the net. you might increase your chances when coming over on vacation and spend some time job hunting...

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Again, to be realistic. Many organizations and/or recruiters won't look at you unless you are able to already work in the country. I appreciate that many people want to get a head start on job search before they arrive in the country, but realistically this happens very rarely.

Certainly with some exceptions, the average 'landing' time, to get a new job whether you're a new immigrant or born and raised Canadian is 3 months. Industry, position, location (geography) will all matter on 'how long' it will take, but this is the most realistic number I can provide you.

It's absolutely important to be optimist and positive during any job search, but not to the point of unrealistic. Setting manageable and realistic timelines will be very important in all aspects of your immigration.

Cdn28

Star Member
Dec 20, 2010
I would have to agree. It's very, very uncommon to have a job waiting for you when you arrive. This doesn't mean you should try and still apply, but realize it's likely not to happen.

what I would do is spend a lot of time researching your target market and what industries you want to pursue.

Get very familiar with the top local job boards, get your Canadian resume updated and posted in the proper places and spend time developing your plan on how to locally network, meet recruiters, possibly get relevant educational credentials.

kamelmohamed

Jan 22, 2011
I am Palestinian citizen live in Palestine in bethlehem and I graduated from Russia as PHYSICIAN
Speciality "Theraphy", so I would like to know If I have the possibility to work in Canada.

Thank you