+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

do paid internships count in Express Entry (FSW)?

AmirHNK

Nov 6, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Passport Req..
16-05-2017
I

I came to Canada as a student when you had to wait six months then apply for off-campus work permit to work outside campus.
My refusal letter clearly stated that any experience acquired under work permit while enrolled as a full time student isn't eligible for EE. My internship was for 18 months paid!

Sorry for being late to the party.
Unless the experts you have talked to in this forum, are actual professionals working for the ministry or are immigration lawyers (whose motives can be construed as heavily biased with respect to immigration cases), they honestly cannot claim with full confidence that the experience would or would not be counted. I got confirmation from my university's international office head and actual Immigration ministry officials, not someone doing support, answering calls at a call centre. Your work experience should be counted for FSW but not CEC as it's skilled work, according to all the people I have contacted. You are documenting all of this with tax forms to back it up. It's not like you were not paying taxes on that income, that it shouldn't be counted. If contracted jobs are counted, this should be as well.

I have personally applied via ITA about a month ago with a similar background. I can update you whether my application ended up being successful here, once I receive confirmation.
I applied for GCMS notes recently and my eligibility shows up as Recommended Passed. I passed A10 and R11.2 with zero issues. There were no hiccups from what I could see from the notes. Right now my security is in progress. Essentially, they are not going to reject your experience if you have all your documentation accurately. So keep all your t's crossed and i's dotted, and you'll be good :). Ignore whatever a lot of people are saying on the forums. In my experience, people who are the loudest about situations not their own usually know the least ;).

I just received my passport request for PR today. So my application has been essentially approved. So no worries. It was exactly as my University's International student advisor mentioned.

olak131

Mar 23, 2017
CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
10/2/2017
Doc's Request.
8/4/2017
AOR Received.
10/2/2017
I do not need to over flog this issue. I will just advise anyone who loves not to waste money and precious time not to apply counting work experience gained while working on off-campus work permit. Look at the post you quoted! Does it make sense? You work in Canada and it counts towards FSW?
I still have my refusal letter. You can advise anyone to go ahead if you like but I can tell you solely on my experience.
I applied with one year internship experience as a Pharmacist inteRN plus 2 years working as a Pharmacist aND you are misleading people!

AmirHNK

Nov 6, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Passport Req..
16-05-2017
I do not need to over flog this issue. I will just advise anyone who loves not to waste money and precious time not to apply counting work experience gained while working on off-campus work permit. Look at the post you quoted! Does it make sense? You work in Canada and it counts towards FSW?
I still have my refusal letter. You can advise anyone to go ahead if you like but I can tell you solely on my experience.
I applied with one year internship experience as a Pharmacist inteRN plus 2 years working as a Pharmacist aND you are misleading people!
I just provided proof of someone who received PR using his internship experience in Canada. I am not denying what you said about your application rejection but clearly some have been able to receive PR by presenting their internship experiences to CIC. This reminds me of when people used to apply for PR by claiming their TA/RA experience gained during their grad studies as their work experience. Some received PR ( e.g. a friend of mine) and some got rejected. The outcome mostly came down to the difference in the content of their work experience letters which they sent to CIC.

If you cannot follow the posts I quoted, you are free to navigate to the relating thread and read through it.

I am not here to mislead anyone, but clearly if I know something others don't, then I feel responsible to inform others with sufficient proof. People can read through and choose for themselves.

Last edited:

olak131

Mar 23, 2017
CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
10/2/2017
Doc's Request.
8/4/2017
AOR Received.
10/2/2017
I just provided proof of someone who received PR using his internship experience in Canada. I am not denying what you said about your application rejection but clearly some have been able to receive PR by presenting their internship experiences to CIC. This reminds me of when people used to apply for PR by claiming their TA/RA experience gained during their grad studies as their work experience. Some received PR ( e.g. a friend of mine) and some got rejected. The outcome mostly came down to the difference in the content of their work experience letters which they sent to CIC.

If you cannot follow the posts I quoted, you are free to navigate to the relating thread and read through it.

I am not here to mislead anyone, but clearly if I know something others don't, then I feel responsible to inform others with sufficient proof. People can read through and choose for themselves.
I am sorry if my post came across as being offensive.
As regards people claiming T.A. I can explain the scenarios to you and that was what encouraged me to apply. Five of us applied but three got PPR.
We all added T.A experience but the difference is when th work experience in CANADA is removed and your work experience on FSW qualified you for that entry, you application can still fly so people end up telling their friends they applied using their experience in Canada which wasn't true. Even though I submitted T.A I got no points for it.
I only got points for my job as a Pharmacist here and the 1 year internship I did.
How do I need to convince a V.O about my practice as a Pharmacist in Canada? This internship thingy is a cash cow for Cic(when on full time studies) aND a lot of people have been and are still falling prey.I can't tell you how many friends have saved money and time!
It's not worth the risk at all!
Some people also on post grad work permit go back for a program and apply for PR and give people not-so-accurate picture of their profIle!
I am now on FSW inland, it's painful watching CEC move so fast and I already have 4 years experience as a Pharmacist and still don't qualify through CEC!

S

sutyfornow

Ok so.. any idea if foreign work experience counts during studies OUtside Canada?

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
Ok so.. any idea if foreign work experience counts during studies OUtside Canada?
Hi,
IRCC says;

"Can I count my work as a teaching assistant toward the work experience requirement?
You may be able to count experience as a teaching, research or lab assistant at a post-secondary educational institution, (see National Occupation Classification 4012) toward the work experience requirement, depending on the eligibility criteria of the programs.

If after submitting your Express Entry profile you are invited to apply, you must show that you did the job as described in the occupational description of the NOC, meaning that you did all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed. If you do not show that your experience meets the description in NOC, your application will be refused.

To be considered under the Canadian Experience Class:

You cannot count work experience you gained while enrolled as a full-time student. Your work experience must have been gained while on a valid work permit, such as the Post-Graduation Work Permit.

You must have gained the equivalent amount of experience as someone who worked full-time for at least one year (1,560 hours) in the three years before you submit your Express Entry profile.

To be considered under the Federal Skilled Worker Program:

Your work experience must have been full-time (or the equivalent in part-time hours), worked continuously and paid, for at least one year in the same occupation."

Reactions: olak131
S

sutyfornow

Hi,
IRCC says;

"Can I count my work as a teaching assistant toward the work experience requirement?
You may be able to count experience as a teaching, research or lab assistant at a post-secondary educational institution, (see National Occupation Classification 4012) toward the work experience requirement, depending on the eligibility criteria of the programs.

If after submitting your Express Entry profile you are invited to apply, you must show that you did the job as described in the occupational description of the NOC, meaning that you did all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed. If you do not show that your experience meets the description in NOC, your application will be refused.

To be considered under the Canadian Experience Class:

You cannot count work experience you gained while enrolled as a full-time student. Your work experience must have been gained while on a valid work permit, such as the Post-Graduation Work Permit.

You must have gained the equivalent amount of experience as someone who worked full-time for at least one year (1,560 hours) in the three years before you submit your Express Entry profile.

To be considered under the Federal Skilled Worker Program:

Your work experience must have been full-time (or the equivalent in part-time hours), worked continuously and paid, for at least one year in the same occupation."
It doesn't mention anything abt being a student in Fsw and working.. any idea they do count work experience?

olak131

Mar 23, 2017
CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
10/2/2017
Doc's Request.
8/4/2017
AOR Received.
10/2/2017
You can count internship for FSW.
My friends added their internship while at home and got their PPR.
It was FSW inland.
As long as it's paid.
You are good to go

S

sutyfornow

You can count internship for FSW.
My friends added their internship while at home and got their PPR.
It was FSW inland.
As long as it's paid.
You are good to go
Even if it was part of my studies ?

Reactions: Pk2can

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW

olak131

Mar 23, 2017
CANADA