+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Puzzle solved - WORK EXPERIENCE DURING STUDY PERIOD

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
Hi friends,

Regarding the dilemma of whether or not to consider work experience during a study period, here is my insight into the same.
Any healthy discussion is highly appreciated.

WORK EXPERIENCE DURING STUDY PERIOD.

Question:
Can I count work experience that was part of my education toward the work requirement?

Answer by IRCC:
No. Co-op terms and apprenticeships completed before graduating do not count as skilled work experience. They are considered part of an educational program.

The work experience you can use to apply for the Canadian Experience Class must not have been gained while studying full time on a student permit (for example, experience gained while on a co-op work term).

INFERENCE: (Purely mine)

If the work was a part of the education itself, then it is NOT to be considered as a work experience.
i.e. Graduation is completed only after the internship, not before it.

Ex. Internships during MBBS. Internship is a part of the education, after completion of which a student is awarded a final degree certificate (i.e. graduation).

So, in countries like India, an MBBS degree consists of 4.5 years of full-time study + 1 year of full-time internship. Total duration = 5.5 years.
Once a student finishes 5.5 academic years, then only he is awarded a final degree certificate.

Hence, internship should NOT be counted as a work experience.

Any expert views on this??

Reactions: astralsource

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
In continuation with the above thread, I'd like to clarify one more thing.

Question:
Can I count my work as a teaching assistant toward the work experience requirement?

Answer by IRCC:
You
may be able to count experience as a teaching, research or lab assistant at a post-secondary educational institution, (see National Occupation Classification 4012) toward the work experience requirement, depending on the eligibility criteria of the programs.

If after submitting your Express Entry profile you are invited to apply, you must show that you did the job as described in the occupational description of the NOC, meaning that you did all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed. If you do not show that your experience meets the description in NOC, your application will be refused.

1) To be considered under the Canadian Experience Class:

You cannot count work experience you gained while enrolled as a full-time student. Your work experience must have been gained while on a valid work permit, such as the Post-Graduation Work Permit.

You must have gained the equivalent amount of experience as someone who worked full-time for at least one year (1,560 hours) in the three years before you submit your Express Entry profile.

2) To be considered under the Federal Skilled Worker Program:

Your work experience must have been full-time (or the equivalent in part-time hours), worked continuously and paid, for at least one year in the same occupation.

INFERENCE (Purely mine):

For FSWP applicants OUTSIDE Canada,
Internships or teaching assistant jobs which are NOT the part of the education itself are eligible to be calculated as a work experience, providing it fulfils all the required criteria for work experience.

Any greater insights into this will be highly appreciated.

olak131

Mar 23, 2017
CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
10/2/2017
Doc's Request.
8/4/2017
AOR Received.
10/2/2017
You inference
Hi friends,

Regarding the dilemma of whether or not to consider work experience during a study period, here is my insight into the same.

Question:
Can I count work experience that was part of my education toward the work requirement?

Answer by IRCC:
No. Co-op terms and apprenticeships completed before graduating do not count as skilled work experience. They are considered part of an educational program.

The work experience you can use to apply for the Canadian Experience Class must not have been gained while studying full time on a student permit (for example, experience gained while on a co-op work term).

If the work was a part of the education itself, then it is NOT to be considered as a work experience.

Ex. Internships during MBBS. Internship is a part of the education, after completion of which a student is awarded a final degree certificate (i.e. graduation).

So, in countries like India, an MBBS degree consists of 4.5 years of full-time study + 1 year of full-time internship. Total duration = 5.5 years.
Once a student finishes 5.5 academic years, then only he is awarded a final degree certificate.

On MBBS isn't true cos it's not technically part of your program.
This is comparable to Pharmacy. Our internships were accepted by Cic.
Mine was rejected here only because it was done while on study permit.
Canada's Pharmacy internship program for instance is different from my country's.
I know this cos I have trained some of their students.
Theirs is split through their internship program throughout their schooling while we do ours after school!
You are given a License to practice back home for 1 full year, paid!
I can tell you it counts!
So many doc friends and Pharmacist friends have used it

Last edited:
Reactions: jpv2212

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
You inference

On MBBS isn't true cos it's not technically part of your program.
This is comparable to Pharmacy. Our internships were accepted by Cic.
Mine was rejected here only because it was done while on study permit.
Canada's Pharmacy internship program for instance is different from my country's.
I know this cos I have trained some of their students.
Theirs split their internship program throughout their schooling while we do ours after school!
You are given a License to practice back home for 1 full year, paid!
I can tell you it counts!
So many doc friends and Pharmacist friend have used it
Okay, so there might be some discrepancy in the inference from IRCC website.
If you are saying it does count, then from your own experience, it must be true. This was the intention to start a new thread, to get clear idea about it.:)

Thanks for your valuable insight.

Reactions: olak131

olak131

Mar 23, 2017
CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
10/2/2017
Doc's Request.
8/4/2017
AOR Received.
10/2/2017
Okay, so there might be some discrepancy in the inference from IRCC website.
If you are saying it does count, then from your own experience, it must be true. This was the intention to start a new thread, to get clear idea about it.:)

Thanks for your valuable insight.
Yeah.
Information is crucial. I even called CIC then on it before applying using my internship here but never mentioned study permit part to them!cos I didn't know.

noyoucant

Star Member
Apr 29, 2017
i hope i can help you to bump this thread as i dont have answer but as many people asking on forum,, it is good discussion

dipantika

Star Member
May 10, 2017
Consider the following situation :
I completed my graduation in 2009 (Assessed as equivalent to 4 years Canadian Bachelors in the ECA) and thereafter I completed the Accounting Technician Course (ATC) (it was distance learning) in 2011. Meanwhile I was working full time after my graduation until and even after the completion of the ATC course (this work was not a part of internship/articleship required to be completed for ATC, it was obtained after I completed my internship but before completing the ATC course). Can I claim points for this work experience since it was not obtained during any full time study and only while undergoing distance education?
Any insights are appreciated.

astralsource

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2016
Croatia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
22-04-2017
Med's Request
19-06-2017
Med's Done....
13-04-2017
Great topic.

S

sutyfornow

Hi friends,

Question:

Answer by IRCC:

Has wes counted in your internship? Or only academic years?

S

sutyfornow

WES has evaluated my MBBS as 'First Professional degree needed to practise in a licensed profession'.
They have not written anything about internship.
So internship isnt mentioned that it is part of ur education? Have you been given credentials to it in your transcripts?

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
So internship isnt mentioned that it is part of ur education? Have you been given credentials to it in your transcripts?
No. No any statement on internship in my ECA reports.
I had submitted transcripts + degree certificate.
My transcript does't mention anything about internship.