+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to pay this back? Who do I contact?

chs2yyc

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
My wife is a PR with a condition 51 (2 year conjugal relationship condition)

We lived apart for about 3 weeks. During this time I still provided for her.

But she applied for and received income support.

Is this something we have to pay back?

Where can I find more information on this?

Who can I contact to get it resolved?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Assuming she took social assistance / welfare (rather than EI) - yes, you will have to pay it back.

Who you contact depends which province you're from. Where are you located?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Then do so immediately before interest charges accumulate and account goes to collections

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chs2yyc said:
duh

its the provincial government - who specifically?
What sort of aid did she get?
ETA: I see that Alberta calls welfare "Income support".

http://humanservices.alberta.ca/financial-support/689.html

But this CIC document states: "...they will have the same access to health coverage and social benefits, including social security (or income support)."http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2012/2012-10-26a.asp
Your spouse really needs to speak with a good settlement worker. It's free. She can PM me for references if she's interested.

You would do well to contact a settlement worker for advice as well. Yes, I'm a broken record. If you don't want to for whatever reason, you can even call the CIC helpline anonymously (though I highly recommend a settlement worker over the CIC). CIC doesn't track people's calls, so as long as you don't give them your personal info...

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Wow, you're story gets more and more intriguing daily.

If your wife received welfare under conditional PR the odds just increased a great deal that CIC will now know of the marital breakdown. What happens from here and where it goes is anyones guess.

Yes, she is entitled to the same benefits, however, a family class applicant that takes welfare within the first 3 years of landing the sponsor MUST pay it back. As stated many times before on other threads, not only is this a family class sponsorship issue, it is also complicated even further by condition 51.

I think you will need to contact the office that she received the assistance from to get an amount that requires repayment. There was another thread on here somewhere about someone looking for such information and was directed to the proper place. I will see if I can locate it and post the link here if I find it.

chs2yyc

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
Thanks, if you can find it that would be helpful.

It is not as complex as it seems. We have issues and she went to live with a friend, and yes applied for income assistance. Hardly worth immigrations trouble. I just wanted to make sure we do our best to follow the laws.

chs2yyc

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
eileenf said:
What sort of aid did she get?
ETA: I see that Alberta calls welfare "Income support".

http://humanservices.alberta.ca/financial-support/689.html

But this CIC document states: "...they will have the same access to health coverage and social benefits, including social security (or income support)."http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2012/2012-10-26a.asp
Your spouse really needs to speak with a good settlement worker. It's free. She can PM me for references if she's interested.

You would do well to contact a settlement worker for advice as well. Yes, I'm a broken record. If you don't want to for whatever reason, you can even call the CIC helpline anonymously (though I highly recommend a settlement worker over the CIC). CIC doesn't track people's calls, so as long as you don't give them your personal info...
It is called income support and she got it an human services office in Calgary

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So, did she go to US or did she stay in Canada and get income support?

Settlement Topics / Permanent Residency Obligations / Would this be a PR condition violation on: December 14, 2014, 03:14:20 pm by chs2yyc

If my wife went back to the U.S.A. for 3-4 months for a "break" from our marriage while we try to work things out. I would stay in Canada.

We are still in the 2 year conditional period of cohabitation.
Immigration Topics / General - All Canadian Immigration / Can my pregnant wife on PR status and leaving the country while pregnant on: July 28, 2014, 11:49:03 pm by chs2yyc

I am a Canadian citizen. My wife is a U.S. citizen who a PR in Canada. She is 8 months pregnant.

We are having some marriage issues. But we are taking the necessary steps to renew our marriage (I still love her).

I do know however reality, that it might not work. She has been talking about leaving Canada to go give birth in the U.S.A.

Can she leave the country with the unborn baby without my consent?

***I love her and this is just a backup measure asking. If you answer, don't answer with any harsh statements or judgmental. I want to fix the marriage and do what is best for my child***

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
chs2yyc said:
Thanks, if you can find it that would be helpful.

It is not as complex as it seems. We have issues and she went to live with a friend, and yes applied for income assistance. Hardly worth immigrations trouble. I just wanted to make sure we do our best to follow the laws.
Sorry, I looked up the link but it was for Ontario and you are in Alberta so it won't help you much. You might try calling the office directly from where she received the support and see if they can and/or will give you any details regarding her assistance. At a minimum they may be able to direct you to the correct place to get it re-paid.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OP, there is no black and white answer to questions you ask.

Anything you say she does can be legal and protected under Canadian laws, and it could also ,to the equal measure , be considered illegal.
There are many variables that we are not aware of which play role in determining the individual situation.
You have been given some valuable advise on few other threads you started in regards to this same subject.

Unfortunately, no one here will be able to give you a legal advise or provide you with an accurate answer in absence of details which we can't know.
Your best bet is to contact the local settlment agencies and talk to them about your issues and consult a licensed atty who can take into consideration the totality of the circumstances and give you the best advise based on your individual circumstances.

Asking the same or similar questions several times will not change the answer.