+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I Need A Visitor Visa For Early Entry Into Canada as a Spouse

shilohq

Mar 31, 2024
(A lot of questions at the end sorry) So I’ve applied for Family Sponsorship from Outside Canada and already received the AOR (I think). The website says I can be there sooner if I apply for a visitor visa and then apply for an open work permit once I’m in Canada. My question is since I’m a US citizen, do I still have to apply for a visitor visa first since I’m visa-exempt? Or can I get in with my passport and still apply for the open work permit? Will I still have to convince them that I’m gonna leave at some point? I wanted to drive across the border so I have my car, but I’m worried if I’m bringing my belongings, they’re gonna refuse entry because that doesn’t look like a temporary stay. Thanks for any experiences or advice!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
(A lot of questions at the end sorry) So I’ve applied for Family Sponsorship from Outside Canada and already received the AOR (I think). The website says I can be there sooner if I apply for a visitor visa and then apply for an open work permit once I’m in Canada. My question is since I’m a US citizen, do I still have to apply for a visitor visa first since I’m visa-exempt? Or can I get in with my passport and still apply for the open work permit? Will I still have to convince them that I’m gonna leave at some point? I wanted to drive across the border so I have my car, but I’m worried if I’m bringing my belongings, they’re gonna refuse entry because that doesn’t look like a temporary stay. Thanks for any experiences or advice!!
As a US citizen, you can enter Canada based on your passport alone.

You cannot import all of your belongings at this time (you'll need to wait until you have PR). Leave them in the US in storage or with family / friends. You should only bring with you what a visitor would normally bring (i.e. couple of suitcases). Don't bring household belongings or pack your car full. Doing this can cause issues at the border.

If you have further questions, post them in the Family Sponsorship section of the forum - not here.